Trials Tire Update

26 replies to this topic
  • Mudshark

Posted May 09, 2006 - 05:10 PM

OMT, am I missing something with the sizing of these Trail tires.
I can't seem to find any larger than this:
DUNLOP D803 TRAILS 4.00R-18 REAR

No matter the make. I think I found a 4.10 IRC but thats about it.
The one on your bike looks to be wider than 4" ?
Help :crazy:

• Old_Man_Time

Posted May 09, 2006 - 08:24 PM

OMT, am I missing something with the sizing of these Trail tires.
I can't seem to find any larger than this:
DUNLOP D803 TRAILS 4.00R-18 REAR

No matter the make. I think I found a 4.10 IRC but thats about it.
The one on your bike looks to be wider than 4" ?
Help :crazy:

They are sized by a different standard than most of my other dirt tires.

Basically they are all the same size in the rear. They do not offer a variety of sizes nor is it necessary. They have a nice wide foot print and are a rather tall tire which actually adds to your suspension since you only run 8 to 12 lbs air pressure. The rubber compound is very soft-tacky yet durable because they are radial. Also very flexible with thin sidewalls.

Have you ever watched trials bikes perform. If you have you can understand why they work so well on single track mountainous trails.

• Mudshark

Posted May 09, 2006 - 08:50 PM

They are sized by a different standard than most of my other dirt tires.

Basically they are all the same size in the rear. They do not offer a variety of sizes nor is it necessary. They have a nice wide foot print and are a rather tall tire which actually adds to your suspension since you only run 8 to 12 lbs air pressure. The rubber compound is very soft-tacky yet durable because they are radial. Also very flexible with thin sidewalls.

Have you ever watched trials bikes perform. If you have you can understand why they work so well on single track mountainous trails.

Thanks.. I was wondering how come they look okay at 4.00 :crazy:
Back in the day, one of the DT 175 Enduro's I got had these on it.
They worked well back then too. (but I think they were the IRC's)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gtsnowcrack

Posted May 15, 2006 - 03:10 PM

I know that Ryan Hughes and some others were using trials front tires at the endurocross last year in Vegas-I couldnt believe it either.

I've talked to quite a few here in wet, rocky western Washington that the trials tire is the best for wet rock.... places like Belfair and Victor Falls where its mostly wet smooth glacial/river rocks.... Just don't hit the mud!
Not sure if I'll ever give it a shot, but when you see guys like Ryno and other offroad racers using them they have to be good given the situation.

Yeah Ryno, Knight, etc do use them... in very specialized courses like the Endurocross. Let me know the next time you see Ryno with a trials tire on in a WORCS race. :ride:

• billgear

Posted May 15, 2006 - 09:18 PM

I have the Michelin X-11 on my KTM 450 mxc, seems to hook up great for me. I can climb stuff, I never would have attempted before, and wheelie's are awesome! I don't usually go faster then 40-50mph, so high speed handling is not an issue.

• JackAttack

Posted May 16, 2006 - 04:27 PM

Yeah Ryno, Knight, etc do use them... in very specialized courses like the Endurocross. Let me know the next time you see Ryno with a trials tire on in a WORCS race. :ride:

Oh geez!!!!! Now she is a tire expert!!!

:banana:

:busted:

• gtsnowcrack

Posted May 17, 2006 - 06:25 AM

Bugger off Jack, go back you your quad girls :ride:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.