93 Dr 650 ...

19 replies to this topic
  • Nomak

Posted May 08, 2006 - 07:26 AM

Anyone know apart from the stock rear suspension is there any other rear shock thats a direct bolt on for the bike?

For the guys that own a 93 DR650, if you have any cool mod/info/manual/aftermarket parts for the bike could you shat that cause everything I find is friggin 96+ DRs ...

Thanks

• RobertN

Posted May 08, 2006 - 10:20 AM

Progressive suspension makes an aftermarket shock, and I believe Ohlin's makes one. Ebay is probably the best source for aftermarket parts, but don't expect much. I have a 90 and I have a K&N, jetting kit, IMS pegs, Twinwall bars, 797 grips, BRP handlebar mounts, 125dcb horn, Jardine and SuperTrapp pipes, steel braided brake lines, racetech valves and fork springs, stainless bolt kit, and I'm sure some parts I'm forgetting about.

• XCR583

Posted May 08, 2006 - 05:00 PM

Have a 93 DR650 also. Got it a couple of months ago. Mostly stock right now. Hope to do some stuff to it but like you, everything I read is for the newer bikes.

• TeamCharm

Posted May 09, 2006 - 10:26 AM

I just got a '95 and agree its hard to find stuff. One thing that I did find out after talking with Acerbis is that you can still get the 6.6 gal tank from them for the '92-'95's. This costs about the same as the IMS unit, but holds another 1.7 or so ga. I'm also on the hunt for parts. One thing I was trying to find out if there is anyone with a manual online like the '96 and newer units.

I've read the carb is suppose to be the same, so you can use the jet kit for the newer ones as well.

• vwbeatle1214

Posted May 09, 2006 - 11:46 AM

I just got a '95 and agree its hard to find stuff. One thing that I did find out after talking with Acerbis is that you can still get the 6.6 gal tank from them for the '92-'95's. This costs about the same as the IMS unit, but holds another 1.7 or so ga. I'm also on the hunt for parts. One thing I was trying to find out if there is anyone with a manual online like the '96 and newer units.

I've read the carb is suppose to be the same, so you can use the jet kit for the newer ones as well.

Definately worth the money. :crazy: more gas, Dual petcocks(and neither one of them vacuum), and to me it seems more comfortable. :ride:Posted Image

• Nomak

Posted May 10, 2006 - 10:08 AM

currently I have, Pro taper bars, progressive spring in the forks, Super Trapp and DynoJet Jet kit ... I hope to swap out the rear shock and get SS brake lines ... a NOS rear shock is over $500 and I dont want to spend that much (po' college kid :crazy:) ... so am hoping to find out what other "cheaper" option I have ... I dont do hard core offroading ... Currently motorcycles (GS500 and DR650) are me only mode of transportation and have been for a few years now ... the DR will become me daily rider/adventure bike ... Already have a top case and after I get the other crap sorted it should do just fine ... I also plan to do the occasional track day to get me "knee draggin fix" lol, and I am tired of riding on shitty suspension so hopefully I'll be able to get the DR's suspension to par for some decent riding ...

Anyone have the manual for a 93 model? Any of you guys been able to find a center stand for the bike? I also want to swap out the rubber handle bar mount cones for some of those plastic scotts ones but dont know of the sizing, everyone says that they are only made in once size but when you go on scotts site they have listings for diff bikes ... The acerbis tank looks mighty sweet but that'll prolly be put on a lil later ... Are there any other models that share the same "plastics" as the 93?

Thanks ...

• RobertN

Posted May 10, 2006 - 12:16 PM

Are there any other models that share the same "plastics" as the 93?

Thanks ...

Yes, the 92-95 have the same plastics and other than the 94-95 being e-start, they are all almost identical till 96.

• TeamCharm

Posted May 11, 2006 - 05:24 PM

For a center stand I'm having good luck using a upside down 5 gallon plastic pail (tomato paste container from our culinary dept) as a center stand for the time being. A little wobblie, but it works.

Eventually I want to get rear stand spools on the swing arm like my road racing machines & use a pit bull stand, but that may be some time.

There are slick sissor center stands that pick the machine up underneath, little pricie, but nice if you got the $.

• dirtydawg

Posted May 11, 2006 - 10:57 PM

I raise my bike with a transmission jack from Harbor Freight (about $79) then for safety attach a chainhoist to the handlebars. If my wrenching knocks it off the jack I know it won't hit the ground.

• Nomak

Posted May 12, 2006 - 03:34 PM

thanks for the stands recommendation but I wanted to put a proper center stand together with the kick stand like the one in the pic ... There are companies that make them for 96+ but I have yet to find one for 92-95

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Nomak

Posted May 22, 2006 - 08:01 PM

bueller bueller ... anyone got info on where to get the shop manual and what size rear shock the bike would take?

• Steve-o5911

Posted July 29, 2008 - 03:36 AM

send me your email I will send it.

• ivtriedeveryusername

Posted July 29, 2008 - 04:27 AM

Steve.
Which manual have you got? for what year? and does it cover e start?
Im sure if its different from the manuals already available on this forum someone will be kind eneough to host it.

• bigcanoe

Posted July 29, 2008 - 05:59 AM

Check out the DR650 group on Yahoo!

They have lots of pre-96 docs in their documents area.

• sbaloc

Posted July 29, 2008 - 12:36 PM

I got a hydraulic motorcycle jack from Sears for less than 100$. It's definitely worth the money to be able to roll the bike around one you have it apart.

In terms of mods, the Acerbis tank is awesome for longer rides, but its also a lot of liquid weight in a big tank. If you have like 1/2 a tank and you get aggresive into a corner or pulling a wheelie you can feel it moving around.

Other than that i've done:
Excel rims laced to stock hubs ( not recomended)
W.E.R. steering stabalizer (definite plus)
Racetech springs
3" spun adapter to K&N cone filter (nixed the airbox for street rides)
Answer bars
Trailtech computer
Acerbis DHH headlight
Acerbis bark busters
Mini LED turn signals
Renthal O-ring chain
Custom Delrin Chain guide and swingarm guard

There's a copy of the manual for the 90-95 models online that somebody post a while back:
http://sonnentag.net...vice_Manual.pdf

• Steve-o5911

Posted July 30, 2008 - 04:05 AM

Yeah, That's the one I got.

I have a '93 with about 50,000+ miles on it.
Speedo cable went south 2nd year I had it with 11,000 miles indicated.
(still haven't got a new one)

It was my primary means of transportation for five years.
I worked two jobs seven days a week for three years, and rode this sumbitch every day. Rain, wind, hangover, snow
(okay, no snow here in Miami).

I abused her pretty bad.
Total lack of maintenance.
No major problems. Replaced clutch, brake shoes, etc.

She ALWAYS started. Every damn time.
99% of the time first kick with choke on.

So she has sat in my shed for over seven years not ridden once.
I never even drained the fuel.

Two weeks ago I dug her out.
What a project.

Cleaned all the goo out of the carb, fresh plugs, oil, six thousand three hundred fifty kicks later?.....pug,pug,pug,pug,pug
She's ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE !!!!!!!!!!

She runs, but not like before. Carb needs total rebuild (or replacement) - I found a guy online - http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/
Who rebuilds completely.
he wants $145+parts.

The front caliper was seized onto the disc. I mean frozen solid.
Mounting bolts on caliper removed, brake lines open, soaked with pentrating oil, whacking like a madman with a sledge hammer. - Wouldn't budge.

My non-mechanical neighbor friend said soak it in transmission fluid, that's the ticket !!

Stupid me listened to him.... but after a day soak, and one whack with sledgie she popped off.

Front master cylinder piston was stuck too. Load it up with the miracle tranny fluid !!! She moves now.
Connected the lines, bleed 'em, push out the pistons in the caliper, cleaned all the crud out, fresh fluid, bleed 'em again.........

Stupid tranny fluid ruined all the seals...swelled 'em up.Damn.

I found a complete front master and caliper from a '98 on ebay for $100.-
Thats probably the way to go. Hope it fits.

So that's my lasted project - Thumper Re-build.

Do they have a "Pimp-my-Bike" show yet?
I could use some help.........

• Steve-o5911

Posted August 08, 2008 - 04:32 AM

http://www.advrider....d=1#post7582424

• LukasM

Posted August 08, 2008 - 05:56 AM

In terms of mods, the Acerbis tank is awesome for longer rides, but its also a lot of liquid weight in a big tank. If you have like 1/2 a tank and you get aggresive into a corner or pulling a wheelie you can feel it moving around.

Get some fuel tank foam to stop the slosh. The car stuff is the same and much cheaper because so much more is needed. Summit Racing has it for a few bucks.

• BigRed96

Posted August 10, 2008 - 08:19 PM

I wouldn't spend the 145 bucks on the stock carb. And then a jet kit. Spend the money and do the an FCR39 swap.

• Steve-o5911

Posted August 11, 2008 - 03:20 AM

What's that?
an aftermarket carb, of course.
What's involved?

Me thinks I will take the motor out -- cylinder head gasket leaking. Also balance chain adj., ditto cam chain, valve adjustment, and new clutch.

I bought the carb for $95.
What a difference.

Even after cleaning, my float bown looked like the surface of the moon.
It was pretty corroded gunked up.
That's why I was looking at this carb rehab place, the do ultrasonic cleaning and rebuild. Like the wife's jewelery cleaner.
(boy she would have been pissed if it fit in there!)

The new used carb took out all the surges out, and is so calm coming off idle.
Purrs like a kitten. Very smooth all the way 5500rpm.

Snorkel is out, alarming the sucking sound I get now.

The needle was shimmed and thank God the PO had the thought to put hex screws on the float bowl. But left the 140 main in there. I will go up to 150 I think. It's pretty humid and the air is dense here in Miami.

The front master cylinder arrived also.
This and the carb were from a '96 or '97.

The threads inside the bango bolt hole were buggered. (sounds so british)
I thought the threads were different, but no, same as '93.
With too much force I really farked it up.

Okay, me thinks, just take the piston outta the new, insert in old master.
The new is smaller diamter than the old. Won't fit.

Today I will try to tap out the threads, or just get a cylinder piston rebuild kit, it is listed in the fiche.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.