Garmin Etrex GPS Handlebar mount

22 replies to this topic
  • boer

Posted May 08, 2006 - 03:17 AM

I would like to get the Garmin etrex Handlebar mount part no: 010-10267-00. Will this mount fit the 1 1/8" diameter "fatbar" handlebar right in the center between the clamps? Has anybody tried this? :crazy:

• GCannon

Posted May 08, 2006 - 08:18 AM

If That part number is a Ram Mount then you ask for the wider ubolt for fat (1 1/8) Handlebars since the mount has slots in the u bolt flange to accomadate both size u bolts

• Tattooart

Posted May 08, 2006 - 08:47 AM

I would get a ram mount if you are talking about the mount that garmin sells it is crap. but like what was said they have a larger mounting base for pro taper type bars.

• boer

Posted May 08, 2006 - 09:16 AM

The reason I am asking about the Garmin is because it is readily available here in the Middle East. The other mounts will cost an arm and a leg to ship out here. :crazy:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 08, 2006 - 09:19 AM

I have the Garmin Etrex with a Ram mount. I got it from cycoactive. Its perfect.

http://www.cycoactiv...ps/etrexacc.htm

Be careful if you mount the ram to your bars using the u-bolt. I pinched the wire on my engine cutoff switch and my bike wouldn't start until I fixed it.

Also, why bother to mount it. Now that I have mine mounted, it looks good, but I never really look at it while riding. First of all , it shuts off with all of the bumps and jumps. Second, i can never take my eyes off of the trail to look at it.

Save youself the time and trouble and put it in a fanny pack or something like that. You can easily get to it and get a reading.

Good luck.

• boer

Posted May 08, 2006 - 09:26 AM

I have the Garmin Etrex with a Ram mount. I got it from cycoactive. Its perfect.

http://www.cycoactiv...ps/etrexacc.htm

Be careful if you mount the ram to your bars using the u-bolt. I pinched the wire on my engine cutoff switch and my bike wouldn't start until I fixed it.

Also, why bother to mount it. Now that I have mine mounted, it looks good, but I never really look at it while riding. First of all , it shuts off with all of the bumps and jumps. Second, i can never take my eyes off of the trail to look at it.

Save youself the time and trouble and put it in a fanny pack or something like that. You can easily get to it and get a reading.

Good luck.

You have a very valid point there. :crazy: I don't even look at my speedo when riding, only when I stop to check the time and distance.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 08, 2006 - 01:25 PM

You have a very valid point there. :crazy: I don't even look at my speedo when riding, only when I stop to check the time and distance.

last year, I was riding out at Cal City. I had absolutely no idea of where I was. The sun was going down, I was in big trouble. There I was, riding from hilltop to hilltop looking for any signs of life. I finally found my way back.

Now I have the gps. So I don't worry, I just ride.

But I still go to the top of the hills, break out the gps, then point myself in a new direction.

GPS handlebar mounts are dangerous if you attempt to look at the gps while you are moving.

• sah81

Posted May 08, 2006 - 08:11 PM

First of all , it shuts off with all of the bumps and jumps.

Is this normal? My Garmin GPSMAP 60 shuts off when it I mount it on my bike or when I slap the front of the case. I was beginning to wonder if mine had a problem? :crazy:

• Captain Bob

Posted May 08, 2006 - 08:37 PM

I have not had those issues with my Garmin etrex legend C. I am not using a RAM mount, just the standard handlebar mount for Mountain bikes. So far, everything works out fine. I keep my unit in the mount while riding on trails I want to track on Garmin's TOPO USA software. This combination has worked well for me so far. As an aside, The Garmin mount sure seems better then the mount that came with my Trail Tech Computer!

Bob

• Captain Bob

Posted May 08, 2006 - 08:39 PM

Is this normal? My Garmin GPSMAP 60 shuts off when it I mount it on my bike or when I slap the front of the case. I was beginning to wonder if mine had a problem? :crazy:

As stated in an earlier mail...., My Etrex legend C does not seem to have that problem (knock on wood!)

Bob

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • devo1

Posted May 09, 2006 - 07:20 AM

My map 60 did the same thing. I changed to a different brand of battery and it doesn't shut off when I smack it. I will do a test run this week and report back. :ride:

• bg10459

Posted May 09, 2006 - 07:55 AM

Also, why bother to mount it......Save youself the time and trouble and put it in a fanny pack or something like that. You can easily get to it and get a reading.

It's a PITA to stop at every intersection to check the GPS when you're lost in a maze of lefts and rights. I like to mount it only for the return trip or to find my way so I made a mount that attaches under my gas cap, but I don't like it. I'm working on a new one that still attaches under the gas cap, but sits farther forward.

• JCORMI

Posted May 09, 2006 - 10:43 AM

I can see you guys point in not wanting to mount one to your handlebars, but what about when youre out in the middle of the woods left right left right turning and then you get lost. How do you track your way back if you haven't been tracking your progress? Just curious.

• bg10459

Posted May 09, 2006 - 11:03 AM

I ususally leave it turned on, but in my pack. This way it's continuously tracking and I just take it out to find my way.

• Tattooart

Posted May 09, 2006 - 11:07 AM

My map 60 did the same thing. I changed to a different brand of battery and it doesn't shut off when I smack it. I will do a test run this week and report back. :crazy:

I use a magellan explorist 600 just due to that problem the magellan has an internal battery no way for the batteries to move around and shut off. www.cycoactive.com has some good fixes for these things but the best way is to hardwire it to your battery.

• JCORMI

Posted May 09, 2006 - 11:13 AM

I ususally leave it turned on, but in my pack. This way it's continuously tracking and I just take it out to find my way.

It still tracks even inside your pack? I just got mine around christmas and have barely had a chance to use it, I was not aware that it was capable of doing that. I was under the impression that it had to at least be out in the open.

• bg10459

Posted May 09, 2006 - 11:57 AM

Yep. Once it locks on the sat it's good to go. You may see some more averaging (straight lines) on your tracks when it's real cloudy and/or in heavy tree cover, but it still works.... in the car, too.

• boer

Posted May 09, 2006 - 08:45 PM

I have not had those issues with my Garmin etrex legend C. I am not using a RAM mount, just the standard handlebar mount for Mountain bikes. So far, everything works out fine. I keep my unit in the mount while riding on trails I want to track on Garmin's TOPO USA software. This combination has worked well for me so far. As an aside, The Garmin mount sure seems better then the mount that came with my Trail Tech Computer!

Bob

Hey Bob, do you have standard 7/8" bars or fat 1 1/8" bars? Are you using the standard Garmin mount?

• sheriffwoody

Posted May 10, 2006 - 11:54 AM

I use a etrex c on my WR450 with the standard Garmin handlebar mount. The first time I went fast the GPS would shut off. By the afternoon the GPS would shut off after just 1 or 2 bumps. I researched the problem- bad contacts in the battery compartment. I used foam and cleaned the contacts. Did not cure the problem. I completely disasembled the Etrex and cleaned the contacts where the battery connectors contact the main board. It seems to be ok now, but I havent riden yet. I like the RAM mount but am worried it will amplify vibration like the new Dirt Rider magazine states. I will stick with the Garmin Handlebar mount for now, even though it DEFINITLEY amplifies vibration and looks worriesome about breaking and loosing the GPS.
Has anyone lost a gps using the standard Garmin handlebar mount? The cradle from RAM looks better, but not the mounting system.
A perfect setup would be a rubber mounted handlebar mount with a cradle. And of coarse a 12v/3volt power feed so it doesnt eat up batteries!

• The Duke of Prunes

Posted May 10, 2006 - 02:32 PM

I have a garmin 76cs mounted to the handlebar but put a piece of rubber in between the u bolt and handlebar and that takes out a lot of the vibration. unit never shuts off from vibration

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.