YZF 426 Hard to shift into first

8 replies to this topic
  • srhines67

Posted May 07, 2006 - 10:24 PM

I've got an 02 cherry 426 with about 50 hours on it. I noticed on my last ride that it was hard to get it to shift into first gear. I would down shift after stopping and it would sometimes click into first after I started to let the clutch out. Is this a common problem with the 426's?

• millzy555

Posted May 08, 2006 - 02:22 AM

Try an oil change

• srhines67

Posted May 08, 2006 - 12:15 PM

Fresh oil. I'm thinking it might be the clutch.

• 642MX

Posted May 08, 2006 - 02:03 PM

I would look at the clutch basket and the clutch hub.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • srhines67

Posted May 08, 2006 - 09:38 PM

Do I need to disassemble the whole clutch? What am I looking for in such a new clutch - something warped?

• 642MX

Posted May 09, 2006 - 06:47 AM

Do I need to disassemble the whole clutch? What am I looking for in such a new clutch - something warped?

Pull the clutch cover and the pressure plate. Then remove all the fibers and metals. Your looking for grooves in the outer basket where the fiber plate tabs rub the basket. On the inner hub your looking for grooves where the metals plates rub. Check it out and see what it looks like. :crazy:

• tom nolan

Posted May 09, 2006 - 10:53 AM

there is one larger inside diameter clutch plate that is stacked against the pressure plate. It sounds to me that it might not be in the proper position. If it is in the wrong position, the clutch will drag. Check it out

• grayracer513

Posted May 09, 2006 - 11:43 AM

If you are saying that it is hard to shift into first at a standstill, but works OK underway, clutch drag will not cause that. Quite the opposite, in fact, but a clutch that releases completely, allowing the mainshaft to come to a complete stop, can produce the symptoms you listed. It's like trying to shift a bike that's not running. The trans actually depends on a small amount of clutch drag to spin one half of the gear set so that the locking dogs can get between each other without having to rock the bike fore and aft.

That being said, I believe that it is extremely unlikely that your clutch releases that well, so what I suspect is that something may be causing an excess of internal drag on the mainshaft, and bringing it to a stop. What that might most likely be is a bad bearing, probably the one on the left end of the shaft. While you are checking the clutch out, see if the mainshaft spins freely with the bike in neutral.

• srhines67

Posted August 07, 2006 - 06:22 PM

My 02 426 got so the clutch would not fully disengage and would creep forward in 1st with the clutch pulled in. I opened her up and put the calipers to work. Everything was in spec but just in case I replaced the clutch plates. The friction plates were great - not too many hours on this bike - and the springs were in spec. The outer bearing was smooth as was everything else. The guys at the yama shop said a stretched clutch cable that was getting weak could cause the clutch to not disengage which is obviously what is happening here.

So, after all that it shifts better but I still feel some friction between gears. There is nothing else to adjust. Maybe I should switch from Shell Rotella to Motul synth and see what happens????? :thumbsup:

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.