426 cutting out

5 replies to this topic
  • yogist

Posted May 07, 2006 - 07:35 PM

I just adjusted my valves and replaced my cam chain..
Changed oil put in new plug cleaned air filter..

Bike runs fine for a minute or so..Then backfires at the carb and cuts out...

Becomes more frequent as it gets hot...

Starts up fine , just wont stay lit up..

Any ideas..?? :crazy:

Bike was running fine previous to this, this was just preventative maint.

• mothermac

Posted May 07, 2006 - 08:12 PM

Maybe your bike is just to hott!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or maybe you live somewhere were it is just to hott!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry but you need to come play with Red & I.

• yogist

Posted May 08, 2006 - 03:50 AM

They found me...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • shanedut

Posted May 08, 2006 - 06:37 PM

It sounds like it could be one a of a few things. The timing could be off, i would definately re-check it. Could be a jetting issue or the carb needs cleaning. One thing that happened to me is I had the wrong plug and mine ran like this. I change my plug once a year so I didnt know it wasnt the right one when I bought it and the yamaha shop said this is the plug ya need, it wasnt. Once you get it started if you might want to try adjusting the fuel screw and see if that helps out if it does its probably a jetting or carb issue.

• yogist

Posted May 08, 2006 - 07:31 PM

It sounds like it could be one a of a few things. The timing could be off, i would definately re-check it. Could be a jetting issue or the carb needs cleaning. One thing that happened to me is I had the wrong plug and mine ran like this. I change my plug once a year so I didnt know it wasnt the right one when I bought it and the yamaha shop said this is the plug ya need, it wasnt. Once you get it started if you might want to try adjusting the fuel screw and see if that helps out if it does its probably a jetting or carb issue.

Thanx, intake cam shaft was a tooth off.......Runs like a top now...I was too hasty putting it back together last nite..

• Yami_rider

Posted May 08, 2006 - 08:11 PM

To help prevent this from happing agian. Is take a tire marker and mark your sprocket on you cam, and you timing chain, that way it will be exact :crazy:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.