yz426 fork seal leak

3 replies to this topic
  • marcelyz426

Posted May 07, 2006 - 07:29 PM

i have been riding my 426 for about 1 or 2 months now, and i have noticed my right seal is leaking a little bit. i dont have the money for a new seal.. is there anything that i can do to fix this? :crazy:

• chrisn6104

Posted May 07, 2006 - 08:07 PM

Pull the dust seal down. Get a good business card or some kind of thin plastic like a credit card. Run a corner between the inner fork tube and the seal. That should clear out any dirt you might have stuck in there. Clean up the oil that comes out. bounce the fork by hand up and down several times. Clean the oil a few times and see if it drys up. It should work unless the seal is just worn out or there is something else causing the leak.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jbrooks26

Posted May 07, 2006 - 09:29 PM

A piece of 35mm film works very well for cleaning the seals. I have fixed some pretty bad leaks by cleaning the seal. A strip of 35mm is a permanent fixture in my tool kit now. Hope this helps.

• Goosedog

Posted May 08, 2006 - 03:42 AM

It's also worth mentioning here that you should never take your bike out dirty from the ride before. My son just learned that lesson this weekend. If you put your bike away without cleaning it thoroughly there might be mud on the fork tubes that dries overnight. It'll stick hard by the next day and the dust seals won't be able to clear it off, thus the grit goes up past the seals and starts your leak. A business card does work well to solve the problem as chrisn6104 mentioned.

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.