What is the Timing chain checking time?

7 replies to this topic
  • barch88

Posted May 07, 2006 - 06:30 PM

Here is a complete breakdown of when and what I do to my bike:

Bike Wash/Air Filter/Air Box Clean: Every Ride
Oil: Every 5-6 Hours
Oil Filter: Every other Oil change
Re-Grease Everything/Valve Checking/Timing Chain (while I got it apart): Every 20 Hours

Now should I be checking the chain more often? I like to do it all when I check my valves because its apart anyways, but I hear some people in Honda forum and other bike forums doing it more often, like every 7 hours, and, how do I check it. Seeing I only have 5 hours on my bike I havent done a lot to it yet. Is it hard to check the timing chain, and should I be doing it more often?

-Mike

Oh, and where can I buy Dust seals for the wheel bearings, because after taking them off after and after they get worn out.

Thanks! :crazy:

• barch88

Posted May 08, 2006 - 12:08 PM

...Oh come on guys.

• grayracer513

Posted May 08, 2006 - 03:04 PM

Annually is about often enough for a new one, it seems to me. 'Can't help what goes on with other makes. The only way to check the lenth is to remove it and compare it to a new one. You can drop it off one of the cams and check for binding links periodically if you want to do that more often.

BTW, why aren't you changing or cleaning the oil filter EVERY oil change?

• barch88

Posted May 08, 2006 - 05:19 PM

BTW, why aren't you changing or cleaning the oil filter EVERY oil change?

Didn't think I really need to change the oil filter after each time too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rucka356

Posted May 08, 2006 - 06:36 PM

I would change the filter every oil change for the first 3-4 oil changes just because it seems like all Yamahas have lots of metal shavings in the oil when their new. After about 3-4 changes you won't find any metal shavings though. Don't know why they do this, but....... And i've got an 04 450 and never even had to adjust the valves! Gotta love a yamaha! Fixing to replace the cam chain and valve springs for the first time though. Can't afford a 06 so I figured this would help keep me from having any problems

• barch88

Posted May 08, 2006 - 06:40 PM

Yeah, I changed the oil 2 times already, filter both times. I just did it for the break-in.

• grayracer513

Posted May 08, 2006 - 08:56 PM

Another reason to own a Scotts filter. It eliminates any excuse for not cleaning it.

Here's something else to think about: The YZ450 holds 1.2 qts of oil, but you can only drain part of that during an oil change. If you don't change or clean the filter, 18% of your oil will be the old stuff after you do the change. By including the filter service, you can cut that to 8%.

• barch88

Posted May 09, 2006 - 06:14 AM

Another reason to own a Scotts filter. It eliminates any excuse for not cleaning it.

Here's something else to think about: The YZ450 holds 1.2 qts of oil, but you can only drain part of that during an oil change. If you don't change or clean the filter, 18% of your oil will be the old stuff after you do the change. By including the filter service, you can cut that to 8%.

Ah yeah. Good thinking. I ordered a Scotts filter last night!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.