Im not really all that impressed by the Boyesen Quickshot. Did I do something wrong?

14 replies to this topic
  • kawirider

Posted May 07, 2006 - 05:15 PM

I got a Boyesen Quickshot for my birthday and so I put it on before my ride yesterday. It really didnt seem any differant. The only thing I noticed was that I seemed to stall a lot more. Did I do something wrong? I turned out the fuel screw like they recomended.

• fixxor

Posted May 07, 2006 - 05:18 PM

I also put one on, noticed a little difference. But i think i need to rejet. :crazy: But to me wasnt worth the $80+ i spent for it, oh well.

• kawirider

Posted May 07, 2006 - 05:26 PM

Same here. I dont understand why TWMX gave it a 10 out of 10. It really did not make that big of a differance.

• Matt96xr6

Posted May 07, 2006 - 06:14 PM

Maybe you should listen and read up more on what that does and why it does and does not work before dropping $80 at a magazine review.

You would be much better off spending the $7 at your dealer and ordering a different sized leak jet if you had bog problems.

live and learn.

• barch88

Posted May 07, 2006 - 07:05 PM

live and learn.

Then get Luvs.

• CISCO

Posted May 07, 2006 - 07:27 PM

Agreed. Boysen quick shots are a band aid for poor jetting, and at that they dont do a whole lot. I wouldnt recomend anyone waste the money on one.

• kawirider

Posted May 08, 2006 - 04:19 AM

Maybe you should listen and read up more on what that does and why it does and does not work before dropping $80 at a magazine review.

You would be much better off spending the $7 at your dealer and ordering a different sized leak jet if you had bog problems.

live and learn.

If you would have read my 3 sentence post you would have caught the sentence that said

I just got a boyesen quickshot for my birthday

So are you guys saying that I am not really going to tell a differance since my jetting was already spot on?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted May 08, 2006 - 05:25 AM

I have one on my 03. It helps with Throttle response. I have not tried it on my 06. There is also the free way to do the same thing with the wiring the accellerator pump arm.

Kawi rider if your accelerator pump duration is off even a little this stalling will be enhanced more witht he Boysen product. Did you properly set the duration and also did you check with the feeler gauge that boysen sent with the kit?

• grayracer513

Posted May 08, 2006 - 10:07 AM

This is just my take on it, but if my '03 is any example, an '03 YZ450 needs accelerator pump mods about as badly as a sundial needs a regular bearing packing. If it was any more responsive, the throttle would twist itself.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted May 08, 2006 - 10:17 AM

This is just my take on it, but if my '03 is any example, an '03 YZ450 needs accelerator pump mods about as badly as a sundial needs a regular bearing packing. If it was any more responsive, the throttle would twist itself.

The 03 has a major hit. If a guy were to make the thing overly snappy off the bottom, he'd end up either on his back or with a serious case of arm pump. :crazy:

• Drfletcherdc

Posted May 08, 2006 - 10:40 AM

I feel it makes my 06 accelerate more off the bottom. I doesn't help with the stalling.

• SCIENCE

Posted May 08, 2006 - 11:13 AM

I got a Boyesen Quickshot for my birthday and so I put it on before my ride yesterday. It really didnt seem any differant. The only thing I noticed was that I seemed to stall a lot more. Did I do something wrong? I turned out the fuel screw like they recomended.

The Quickshot works great on some machines and adds little on others. If you talk to Boyesen's they'll tell you that each bike is different and there is no one cure for every FCR carb. From what I've seen, they work great on all the 250F's and well on certain 450F's. I tried one on my 2004 CRF and it didn't improve it at all. We put it on my buddies '05 RMZ450 along w/ a diff sj and it woke the motor up big time! I would give them a call and see if they have a baseline.

Another resource would be James at JD Jetting. From talking to him in the past, I would bet he has extensively tested your bike and has some great setting.

• kawirider

Posted May 08, 2006 - 04:39 PM

The 03 has a major hit. If a guy were to make the thing overly snappy off the bottom, he'd end up either on his back or with a serious case of arm pump. :crazy:

Now that you mentioned it, I did have more arm pump than I have EVER had before last saturday. Maybe I should find a way to tone the power down.

• kid on a 426

Posted May 08, 2006 - 05:13 PM

Well my bike is SUPER snappy. I bought it with a BK R&D accelerator pump cover so and I've never ridden another yz426 but have ridden several heavily modified wr426's and my bike is WAY more responsive than those. I would imagine that a 03 would not need any more power than it already has. You guys who said that a quickshot is just a band aid for bad jetting you guys are completely correct. My bike is not jetted well at all and is still super snappy.

• uncle tail

Posted May 14, 2006 - 09:14 AM

the whole thing is that little delay of a split second you get when you twist the throttle until the engine revs up coming out of a corner. it's timing dude. i have read about the boyeseen thing and all that, if you are getting arm pump maybe you miss that split second delay and your timing is off. at any rate, my 04 450 is faster point to point once I square off than the other bikes (you can have your nice smooth powerband, i like it mean)......and my shoulders are like friggin Popeye's since I got rid of that freakin CR250 and got the yammy

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.