Engine Tick/knock

27 replies to this topic
  • TallBoysWRF

Posted May 07, 2006 - 11:47 AM

I have been noticing a bit of a tick sound on my WR that I'm convinced is getting worse. I wasn't sure how to load a sound file so I just made a short video. I have checked the valves and they are in spec. I have thought it might be the cam chain, but the noise started on the right side of the motor and is there predominently. Now though I'm starting to get noise more on both sides of the motor. I had the motor completely appart last winter and while I didn't mic everything out I found nothing wrong (other than replacing the piston rod which is why I took it appart in the first place.) I'm baffled as to what is causing the noise. I took it into the mechanic at the local shop last year and had him listen to it, and he said that it's normal and those bikes just do that. I'm not so convinced. I let it go and kept an eye on it but I think it's getting worse. I have an 800mi week long single track trip coming up at the end of June so I figure now it the time to fix the bike so I have some time to run it and get it broken back in and make sure she'll be reliable again. The bike runs great and isn't vibrating any more than normal as far as I can tell, but I haven't ridden it much all winter.

I have an old piece of arrow that I use like a stethoscope (spelling?) and when I touch it to different places on the motor I get the most noice when I listen to the lower part of the clutch cover. I also get some noise on the left of the head, so I might need to change the cam chain, which I'm planning to do if I have to take the engine appart anyway. When you have your head down by the motor you get noise on both sides, but it sounds like it's in the bottom end, not the top end (confirmed by listening through the arrow). I don't remember the bike having this noise when I got it so I'm worried about it. Maybe one of you guys has had a similar problem or knows of a similar problem. If you could let me know what the cause was and how you fixed it I would be GREATLY appreciative! :ride: Any other ideas are also greatly appreciated too!.

Here's the LINK :crazy:

• Bamster

Posted May 07, 2006 - 01:36 PM

Hard to tell but it sounds normal to me. :crazy:
Mine has always made what I call worry noises.
I just got used to them.

• RideRaceLive123

Posted May 07, 2006 - 02:40 PM

That is what you call classic YZF engine noise.

• Birdy426

Posted May 07, 2006 - 02:58 PM

Have you noticed a little more vibration as well? That's what my bike sounded like when the primary drive nut backed off. It was accompanied by additional vibration related to RPM.

• xr600r

Posted May 07, 2006 - 03:01 PM

I've been waiting for mine to blow up for 3 yrs. now, so i can figure out why its knocking. like everyone else says, it's a normal YZ/WR quirk.

• TallBoysWRF

Posted May 07, 2006 - 04:45 PM

Have you noticed a little more vibration as well? That's what my bike sounded like when the primary drive nut backed off. It was accompanied by additional vibration related to RPM.

I'm not sure what you are referring to as the "primary drive nut". :crazy: Can you elaborate a little? Thanks.

There might be a little more vibration. I have noticed it in my foot pegs... but to be honest I honestly don't remember how much I had before. I've been at college and haven't ridden the bike all winter but for about 3 times. The vibration I'm noticing now isn't all that substantial but it might be more than before.

• XRYoda

Posted May 07, 2006 - 06:10 PM

mine only has a few hundred miles on it and it vibrates. A bit of vibration is normal. You can definantly feel it.

• JSanfilippo

Posted May 07, 2006 - 09:56 PM

My cousins YZ 250f makes the same engine noises...I think its just the nature of the beast. Its probably being amplified by the skid plate you got on there

• Birdy426

Posted May 07, 2006 - 10:20 PM

I'm not sure what you are referring to as the "primary drive nut". :crazy: Can you elaborate a little? Thanks.

The nut that holds the primary drive gear on to the end of the crank. The small gear on the end of the crank (primary drive gear) mates with the big gear riveted to the clutch basket on one side (primary driven gear), and drives the balance shaft on the other. Pull the clutch cover off, and look for "lost motion" at the crank when you rotate the clutch basket. That is, when you move the clutch basket, the primary drive gear moves a little bit, but the crank doesn't. If that's the case, your tick is the primary drive gear rattling around on the splines of the crankshaft. If that's not the case, then no worries. Put the cover back on and check the oil. These bikes are noisy, and eventually you just get used to it. Changes in the noise or level of vibration usually do indicate a problem, though.

• TallBoysWRF

Posted May 08, 2006 - 03:11 AM

OK I'll check that gear and see what the deal is. I'm kind of hoping it's a little loose so I can quit worrying. :crazy:

Thanks for the tip!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CALVIN_KLEIN88

Posted May 08, 2006 - 07:24 AM

Have you checked for exhaust leaks? Did it get a fresh exhaust gasket when you rebuilt it? I would start there and then start looking for more expensive and complicated issues. Sounded normal to me though too.

• 5valve

Posted May 08, 2006 - 08:07 AM

Remove the skid plate and listen to the noise.
Otherwise it sound like every other WR with original exhaust.

• R_Little

Posted May 08, 2006 - 11:17 AM

If its a 2000 or earlier than it very well may be the counterbalancer key.

Pull the left side cover and see if you can rock the counterbalancer that is in front of the crank, back and forth.

Also, the weak link in the 400's is the rod small end it can rattle too.

• TallBoysWRF

Posted May 08, 2006 - 01:57 PM

If its a 2000 or earlier than it very well may be the counterbalancer key.

Pull the left side cover and see if you can rock the counterbalancer that is in front of the crank, back and forth.

Also, the weak link in the 400's is the rod small end it can rattle too.

It is a 99. I'll check on that counter balancer too. I replaced the rod already. It was scored up so I put a pro-x rod in. The noise was there before and after the rebuild. It's possible that I am just noticing more noise since my exhause is way quieter now than it was before... but I still head noise before. I'll check the primary drive nut and the counterballancer, if I don't find anything wrong there or while I'm checking it out, I'll just have to call it good and keep keeping an ear on it. Thanks for the tips so far! :crazy:

• spritefiend

Posted May 08, 2006 - 02:23 PM

i think its just a yamaha thing.. my r6 has a certain tick about it and i was worried when i first noticed it, but found out its normal and an unexplained happening.

thumpers are a new beast to me so everything about them is abnormal however i havent noticed the yamaha tick on my wr450, YET :crazy:

John.

• TallBoysWRF

Posted May 08, 2006 - 06:06 PM

Wow I'm amazed at how much quiter that bike rides with out the skid plate. I pulled the clutch cover off and checked the clutch basket and found a very slight bit of play, but I would expect that to be normal. I sealed it up and put some fresh oil in and took it for a test run with out the skid plate and it was WAY quieter. When I got back and got off the bike it was qieter then too. I put the skid plate back on and rode into town to get some gas and I noticed it was noisy again. I'm convinced the tick is louder than when I got the bike because even with the original stock muffler on it I don't remember having that much of a tick unless I got off the bike where I could hear it from the side. I think what I'm going to do now though is just ride it and if it gets louder then I'll worry about it, but for now I'll assume it's normal. I'm probably just over-reacting anyway. :crazy:

• Numskull

Posted May 08, 2006 - 07:06 PM

Always good to check out noises. I suggest pulling your baffle out so you can no longer hear them :ride:

Ya if you start getting a knock, you better pay attention, or not, cause if it blows you still have to rebuild:) After I put my ear next to my motor with a loud exhaust it was kind of worry some until I got familiar with her. Its a five valve, dual overhead cam motor with a timing chain running from the crank to the two cams with two chain guides and a tensioner. Its all enclosed by an aluminum cylinder and head. It makes very loud internal noises, but will scream when you twist the throttle :crazy:

• Captain Bob

Posted May 08, 2006 - 08:49 PM

OK I'll check that gear and see what the deal is. I'm kind of hoping it's a little loose so I can quit worrying. :crazy:

Thanks for the tip!

Interestingly enough...., my 99 WR 400 seems to have a small ticking that I am now noticing as well. I must say however, I recently put a PMB insert in the stock pipe which has quieted the exhaust down a lot. It is possible the noise was always there and I just couldn't hear it due to the loud pipe. Good to hear most folks think it is normal for these babies to tick. I have not noticed any excessive vibration so I guess I will just keep on truckin!

Another thought...., I know a street bike Will develop a tick if the exhaust gaskets are leaking. Whereas I must loosen the header pipe to get to the oil filter, it could be the exhaust gasket is due to be replaced.

Bob

• R_Little

Posted May 09, 2006 - 11:00 AM

Check that counterbalancer! All you need to do is pull the stator cover and rock the counter balancer. IF it rocks and clacks then you found the culprit.

It's a easy fix. Costs about a buck to fix. I had to do it on my 2000.

If the key shears your motor is toast immedeately.

• 5valve

Posted May 09, 2006 - 11:38 AM

what exactly needs to get fixed with faulty counterbalancer?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.