Where is the oil going?

7 replies to this topic
  • Taos3

Posted May 07, 2006 - 08:37 AM

Thanks to The ThumperTalk board I got my 99 YZ400 running smooth again, but I seem to be going through a lot of oil. In 6-8 hours over 2 days I used about a 1/2 quart of oil. It is not leaking or burning oil. Is this normal? Temperature is around 85. I am using Castrol GPS 10-40.

Thank you
Richard Rowe

• Taos3

Posted May 07, 2006 - 09:17 AM

Is it normal?....Anyone?

• tmckeown

Posted May 07, 2006 - 10:13 AM

Hi,

No it is not normal. It should not use that much oil between oil changes

Timo Mc

• grayracer513

Posted May 07, 2006 - 12:47 PM

In 6-8 hours over 2 days I used about a 1/2 quart of oil. It is not leaking or burning oil. Is this normal?

What is is impossible. Oil does evaporate, but not in anything like that quantity. If it really isn't leaking, it's burning oil, plain and simple.

It takes a remarkably small amount of oil leaking or burning to accomplish this. One drop on the ground every 100 feet would cost you your half quart in 175 miles, or about 5-6 hours, on average. To burn that much, you'd need only 0.00046 cc in the combustion chamber each time it fires, so it won't necessarily leave a smoke trail everywhere, either.

I'd suspect rings, and then possibly intake valve seals, if there really are no leaks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Taos3

Posted May 08, 2006 - 04:01 AM

So I get to the track yesterday after putting 1/2 quart of oil in. Start it up let it run for a few minutes. I then had to help aa friend unload. So before I started it up again I thought I would check the oil level. Yep, it was now over full. &%$#@!. In the shop it showed 1/2 quart low. Then at the track I am over. It sat about 20 minutes after I started it. :crazy:

• One Louder

Posted May 08, 2006 - 07:04 AM

First of all, get a manual. secondly you can only get a good oil level reading after the bike has been warmed up properly and then turned off. you then remove the dipstick clean it and insert it into the frame. DO NOT screw it in, just le the threads rest on each other. pull it out and get your reading. Sounds to me like you need to drain about a half quart of oil out. Your bike is fine this was your mistake :crazy:

• grayracer513

Posted May 08, 2006 - 09:36 AM

If the bike is allowed to set longer than 5 minutes, the reading you get can be lower than the actual amount of oil present because the oil may have begun to drain back to the crankcases to a significant degree. This is especially true if you use a 10w-40 oil and your oil pump has some time on it, since the clearance in the pump is what the oil leaks past to get back downstairs.

If your bike is now a half quart over, better drain the excess off, as anything more than around 2 quarts will cause excess oil to be forced back to the top end from the tank by way of the vent tube, and you'll have a smoky mess on your hands until the extra gets burned off or blown out.

• Taos3

Posted May 08, 2006 - 02:19 PM

Thanks Gray.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.