XR650L=messy oil change

10 replies to this topic
  • RT1000

Posted May 06, 2006 - 07:29 PM

Any body out here have any brilliant ideas on how to keep the oil from running all over the lower frame and skid plate....does this when i pull the lower plug and pull the oil filter. I know someone has had the same issues!! :ride: LOL

Also notice the bike took more oil than the manual stated...about 200ml, anybody else find this to be true? :crazy:

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

• zodran

Posted May 07, 2006 - 01:00 AM

To drain the crankcase I usually take a core from a roll of paper towels, and cut a 45 deg angle on one end. As I get the last few threads pulling the plug I'll have the core sticking up through the hole in the skid plate.
You have to be quick, and still get a little on the plate, but the core fits just tight enough in the skid plate to stay in place. I use a big galvanized livestock feed pan, big enough to drain the frame reservoir and crankcase simultaneously. :crazy:
I don't do ml, I always change the filter too, usually dump in two quarts if they'll fit, start it up and idle for a few minutes, then add whatever it wants. Usually takes 2.5 quarts or so.

• XR_mad

Posted May 07, 2006 - 04:38 AM

two things the L and R share in common then :crazy:

• Iggy1

Posted May 07, 2006 - 04:59 AM

I saw a device called a MANFUNNEL sold somewhere on one of the sites. I made my own out of a plastic bucket and some heat to shape it. Have a look around and you will find it. Keeps the oil off the bike completely and works at down tube and side case.

• goblin127

Posted May 07, 2006 - 06:06 AM

That motor does not take 2.5 qt. of oil,unless you over fill. Put what the manual says to and learn how best to check it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • adam574

Posted May 07, 2006 - 12:55 PM

how about this one... is there any way to drain the oil from the oil filter cavaity before removing the bolts to get to the oil filter... it always seems to be a messy thing

• XR650L_Dave

Posted May 08, 2006 - 07:43 AM

how about this one... is there any way to drain the oil from the oil filter cavaity before removing the bolts to get to the oil filter... it always seems to be a messy thing

ya just gotta lean the bike waaay off to the right, then its not so bad.

Dave

• motomonte

Posted May 08, 2006 - 08:23 AM

You could hook up a fitting with a valve but then it would be vulnerable and slow the process.Anyway spare the same day for cleaning the bike....

• adam574

Posted May 08, 2006 - 11:53 AM

ya just gotta lean the bike waaay off to the right, then its not so bad.

Dave

that trick worked fine with my 250f's and 450f's but this bike poured oil all over the place when i took it off. really caught me off guard. there are a couple bolts that look like they may drain it from there but i don't want to try it without knowing for sure it would work

• wr450fyamaha

Posted May 08, 2006 - 05:43 PM

That motor does not take 2.5 qt. of oil,unless you over fill. Put what the manual says to and learn how best to check it.

Actually you are dead wrong there. Mine took 2.4 to 2.5 quarts when I changed the filter.

• dukeryder

Posted May 08, 2006 - 06:51 PM

Actually you are dead wrong there. Mine took 2.4 to 2.5 quarts when I changed the filter.

For once I agree. I change my oil when it's real Hot, lean the bike way over and 2 quarts is never enough to fill it. I put in 1 quart, start it up, add 2nd quart check again and it always take another 1/4 - 1/2 qt to bring it up to full when properly checking the dip stick. If you thread the dip stick in it'll read full @ 2qts but that's not the correct reading.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.