XRL Battery

6 replies to this topic
  • YUKI

Posted May 06, 2006 - 06:34 AM

Good morning,

Is there a replacement battery for the XRL that weighs less than what Honda supplies the bike with?

ThanX, Yuki

• roadcam

Posted May 06, 2006 - 09:05 AM

if there is, I've never seen it ... what little weight you'd save, could probably be duplicated by skipping lunch ... :crazy:

• Dual_Dog

Posted May 06, 2006 - 09:43 AM

I took a chance on installing an aftermarket (not Yuasa) battery sized for the DRZ400E. Mine was dead anyway & I figured I'd take it back if it didn't work. It's a Power Source brand, PN WP7B-4.

It fits inside the XRL battery box *almost* without any fitment issues. *I did have to cut off about 1/16" off of the + cable tang, really easy, & I used one piece of foam packing from the box to take up the gap behind it due the smaller-sized battery case.* :ride: Works great & it fires up easliy. :crazy:

It's smaller in size & weighs about 1.5 lbs. less than OEM. Probably has fewer cold cranking amps that the larger XRL juice box, but that wasn't a concern for me since it doesn't get that cold out here in sunny So Cal. :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GIANTac1

Posted May 06, 2006 - 01:29 PM

Has anybody successfully relocated the battery from their XRL under the seat or somewhere else? :crazy:

• TREADMARKS

Posted May 06, 2006 - 06:26 PM

I put a 250 battery in my air box, along with all the electricals.

It had more cranking amps, with a little less reserve.

• rmhrc630

Posted May 06, 2006 - 07:13 PM

Has anybody successfully relocated the battery from their XRL under the seat or somewhere else? :crazy:

AS you may know I am fitting the estart from the XR650L to my XR600.

It's a long laborious project.

As the XR600 does not have a battery location I needed to fin out how to fit a battery and where would it go.

Soem people relcoate to the airbox which killds airflow and is quite frankly not an option for me.

This is what I did:

1. Bought an OEM CRF450X battery - awesome battery which big CCA.

2. Am having a small alloy battery tray made.

3. Will locate the battery right next to the carb - lying down and with the support of the starter motor. The battery will be on an angle and be in line with the frame.

4. This makes sure the wires to the starter motor are as short as possible and ths most punch is delivered to the starter. It also locates the battery centrally and this I assume will assist handling especially for you XR650L riders.

I'll post some pics when I get it all done. You really should check out the CRF450X battery - it's very small, much lighter and fingers crossed will pack and repack a punch to start the big 650L.

Cheers

• GIANTac1

Posted May 06, 2006 - 08:20 PM

AS you may know I am fitting the estart from the XR650L to my XR600.

It's a long laborious project.

As the XR600 does not have a battery location I needed to fin out how to fit a battery and where would it go.

Soem people relcoate to the airbox which killds airflow and is quite frankly not an option for me.

This is what I did:

1. Bought an OEM CRF450X battery - awesome battery which big CCA.

2. Am having a small alloy battery tray made.

3. Will locate the battery right next to the carb - lying down and with the support of the starter motor. The battery will be on an angle and be in line with the frame.

4. This makes sure the wires to the starter motor are as short as possible and ths most punch is delivered to the starter. It also locates the battery centrally and this I assume will assist handling especially for you XR650L riders.

I'll post some pics when I get it all done. You really should check out the CRF450X battery - it's very small, much lighter and fingers crossed will pack and repack a punch to start the big 650L.

Cheers

I am looking forward to seeing pictures :ride: Thanks for the idea and reply :crazy:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.