Switch to stainless

6 replies to this topic
  • yfz157

Posted May 06, 2006 - 06:05 AM

I am interested in swapping out my Titanium valves for stainless. (yfz450) I have about 15 to 20 hours on the motor. I'm looking for long term reliability, I do not race. I have heard Titanium valves are prone to breakage.

• SureBlue

Posted May 06, 2006 - 06:24 AM

Your ti valves are not a problem, they will last 100 + hours.
Don't fix it if it ain't broken.

• dooweb2

Posted May 06, 2006 - 07:34 AM

yamaha valves are fine dont worry about them .. you have at least 100 hrs and thats on a 250f your 450 will o forever if your not an expert...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 06, 2006 - 08:09 AM

There are three usual causes the vast bulk of titanium valve breakage in the big YZF's, what little there is of it.

The first is that there was a failure of the timing chain (skipping time) that was caused by the chain being run in a worn condition, sometimes wearing the crank sprocket rather badly. The valves hit the piston when that happens. Avoid it by replacing the chain every 12-18 months. Cheap and easy.

The other more common cause is that the valves are run in a worn condition after requiring adjustment of more than about .15-.20mm from the original shim size. If the wear at the valve face is uneven, the valve stem will flex a little each time the valve closes, and that can lead to the stem breaking. Avoid this by replacing the valves once they have needed that much adjustment. How long will that take? That depends, but my '03 has yet to need a valve adjustment.

The last "usual" reason is less common; valve spring failure. Normally happens only on big YZF's when they're run really hard for a very long time. If you race the bike often, consider replacing the springs periodically as a precaution. The whole set of 5 is less than $40.

Anything that is made can break. But I see no evidence that SS valves are any more reliable than Yamaha Ti valves are, and no reason to use anything else.

• Wheel

Posted May 07, 2006 - 06:22 PM

I would never consider swapping Ti valves for stainless. IMO, using a heavier weight valve is asking for reliability problems. If you want better reliability than the stock valves, I would instead consider a higher quality Ti valve, such as Xceldyne. We run them in our 250F, as well as the retainers.

Personally, I don't think it is neccesary on the lower revving 450.

• MJC476

Posted May 07, 2006 - 10:01 PM

I would never consider swapping Ti valves for stainless. IMO, using a heavier weight valve is asking for reliability problems. If you want better reliability than the stock valves, I would instead consider a higher quality Ti valve, such as Xceldyne. We run them in our 250F, as well as the retainers.

Personally, I don't think it is neccesary on the lower revving 450.

Exactly !! SS valves require heavier springs to keep them in check which puts more load on the cams, sprockets chain etc. It's a vicious circle. Yamaha make good reliable valve trains.

• Ga426owner

Posted May 08, 2006 - 10:44 AM

I am still using my stock 03 valves ....... +100hrs and no problems :crazy:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.