66 replies to this topic
  • InternalCombustion

Posted May 22, 2006 - 03:41 PM

Think I'll stick with the XR... it's paid for! :ride:

Amen to, "it's paid for" :banana:

Ride safe.

• motomonte

Posted May 22, 2006 - 04:40 PM

Yeah...that could happen.The 650r turned street legal.That wouldn't surprise me.Wait till '07.But then ....What to do with the 650l engine..?Maybe the powerplant for an utility atv,Honda won't let that engine just fade away But then they can

• uncleroby

Posted March 16, 2007 - 05:39 AM

Does Anyone know something new?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cbaranski

Posted March 16, 2007 - 07:18 AM

Well I think whatever Honda comes up with will be cool. I ride a 96 xr600. I love this bike to death, but I want a newer xr650r. Honda wont do us all wrong. They'll make a sweet new ride for us to drool over.

• naldz006

Posted March 21, 2007 - 06:03 AM

yeh i guess the new model will be cool. but if the engine even half resembles a crf i wont be touching it. high maintainence is not in my budget. i wont object to an electric start, lighter, better cushioned xr 650, but a high performance engine like that of a crf is not what myself, and i think many are after. i emailed my honda australia sales department over here yesterday asking for suggestions in regards to waiting for the 'new' xr replacement model or to try and find a second hand 650r over here now.(as well looked after ones are numbered).
i was told as far as they are concerned the crf has replaced the xr range, however the electric start xr250l? is still available. i'd prefer to spend money and rebuild my wr for that. so i guess that means ill be after a second hand 650. sad from honda.....

• huntmaster

Posted March 21, 2007 - 12:57 PM

Well I think whatever Honda comes up with will be cool. I ride a 96 xr600. I love this bike to death, but I want a newer xr650r. Honda wont do us all wrong. They'll make a sweet new ride for us to drool over.

Since our earlier discussions here in this thread I did the unthinkable and picked up an 06 KTM 525EXC. It's not an absolutely direct replacement but pretty close...at least for my usage. Six good years with my trusty old 650R, but with the bike discontinued here in Canada (and a buyer for it handy) a need for change and no replacement in sight from Honda... it just seemed like a good time to walk away from it before I had to do any serious work to it, and my enthusiasm (and it's resale value) tanked. Rather then develop a true big bore offering, it seems clear now Honda is determined to offer the 450X as the 650R replacement...a bike I'm not interested in. I will probably miss some of the 650R's better attributes; big torque, comfort, durability and low maintenance. I probably won't miss the weight and kickstarting!

Everything is a compromise though...maybe in a couple years a CRF650X (if, if, if!) could bring me back. :applause:

• rmhrc630

Posted March 21, 2007 - 02:12 PM

Since our earlier discussions here in this thread I did the unthinkable and picked up an 06 KTM 525EXC. It's not an absolutely direct replacement but pretty close...at least for my usage. Six good years with my trusty old 650R, but with the bike discontinued here in Canada (and a buyer for it handy) a need for change and no replacement in sight from Honda... it just seemed like a good time to walk away from it before I had to do any serious work to it, and my enthusiasm (and it's resale value) tanked. Rather then develop a true big bore offering, it seems clear now Honda is determined to offer the 450X as the 650R replacement...a bike I'm not interested in. I will probably miss some of the 650R's better attributes; big torque, comfort, durability and low maintenance. I probably won't miss the weight and kickstarting!

Everything is a compromise though...maybe in a couple years a CRF650X (if, if, if!) could bring me back. :applause:

Huntmaster this is a story that Honda have been experiencing all too much.

They really have NFI at the moment.

Who wants the "busy" type power of the 450 when you can have the lazy type power of the 650R?

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.