how long can coolant sit need answer asap

12 replies to this topic
  • XR_mad

Posted May 05, 2006 - 09:26 PM

its been in the bottle for about a year or so, the bottle has been opened once or twice, is it still safe to use?

• weskc35k

Posted May 05, 2006 - 09:31 PM

Yep....

• wr450fyamaha

Posted May 06, 2006 - 10:00 AM

most likely.

• Kevin3769

Posted May 06, 2006 - 11:03 AM

as long as you stored it with the lid on it should be fine.

• NorCal620

Posted May 06, 2006 - 12:48 PM

your coolant will be fine it has a fairly long shelf life

• LotsOfBikes

Posted May 06, 2006 - 06:08 PM

I've got some cooant in my 1983 Ford van that has been in the bottles since about 1983. My dad and I pre mixed the bottles with 50/50 Prestone antifreeze and Distilled de-ionized water. I cracked them open in 2002 to make sure it still looked okay. It did.

23 years ago... wow..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • EddyWhoGoes

Posted May 06, 2006 - 08:27 PM

its been in the bottle for about a year or so, the bottle has been opened once or twice, is it still safe to use?

considering the minimal price of coolant, if you are worried, chuck it and buy some new stuff.

• wheelnut46

Posted May 06, 2006 - 08:39 PM

It's not like brake fluid, which should not be left laying around after being opened because it collects condensation.
Coolant lasts.

• AK_SLIMER

Posted May 06, 2006 - 08:45 PM

its good until it no longer has the ability to absorb the heat from the metal of the cylinder and head and disapate it thru the radiator factualy speaking but not to be mistaken for good coolant in a system that either the metal of the cylinder or of the radiator no longer have the ability to transfer heat in either direction. or if it aint lubeing the water pump (im guessing)

• XR_mad

Posted May 07, 2006 - 03:26 AM

thanks everyone, well i opened up the thermostat housing and it was stuck open so i chucked in the new one and the coolent looked and smelt fresh so i used it

• AK_SLIMER

Posted May 07, 2006 - 06:13 AM

llooks are important smells rank at the top also but put a blindfold on with a big old fasion cloths pin on ur nose and ya have to taste it to really know so take a drink or 2 swiss it around like a vetren wine taster if you die within the hour coolant is excelent 2 to 4 hours till death 50% dont kill ya but puts a hurt on ya in a irreversible kinda way weak and should be replaced although im just guessing again

• roadcam

Posted May 07, 2006 - 07:35 AM

that question required ten answers ?? ..... what has happened to this Forum ? .. :crazy:

• roadcam

Posted May 07, 2006 - 07:36 AM

llooks are important smells rank at the top also but put a blindfold on with a big old fasion cloths pin on ur nose and ya have to taste it to really know so take a drink or 2 swiss it around like a vetren wine taster if you die within the hour coolant is excelent 2 to 4 hours till death 50% dont kill ya but puts a hurt on ya in a irreversible kinda way weak and should be replaced although im just guessing again

go back to grade school ... learn the language ... :crazy:

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.