XR600R Stock/modified? What should you do?

6 replies to this topic
  • philipstjohn

Posted May 05, 2006 - 08:31 PM

I have a clean 2000 XR600R, completely stock minus the exhaust. Should I do anythiing more if the power is enough for me?

• TwistiT

Posted May 05, 2006 - 08:42 PM

if everything feels right to you, then why bother? Maybe set the suspension up for your weight.

• raven-9

Posted May 06, 2006 - 12:15 AM

i had a 94 model with the following:

flat slide 42mm mukiuni cab
630 bore kit
cr 500 suspension and upside down fork legs/
cr 500 fork triple tree's
oversized disk
full exaust and header pipe
KTM gaurds

and alot of other little bits and peices

you can go mad ,b but if your happy with the bike how it is now, save the bucks for an update down the track some time, the XR's are never going to compete in the handling and weight stakes with the newer 4 strokers, mine had plenty f power but it just didn't have that wind on wheelie value of the KTM im now on
i bopught the XR set up already of a guy pretty cheaply, so i rode it for 12months to save up for the bike i know own:)

if you have to do a mod, i would recomend it to be a suspension mod, the cr 500 shocks wrere a good thing, but im sure there would be a cheaper suspension mod to do..maybe a new can or deristrict the originl pipe to
here's a piccy of the old girl, i sold it to a freind so i still get to ride it every now and then
http://i14.photobuck...myxr600_002.jpg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted May 06, 2006 - 07:03 AM

The choke plate is a weak link. It has a steel flapper that can break off and get sucked into the engine. On my XR600 it was about to break, and the entire choke plate had a big crack in it. There are aftermarket replacement plates available. I just took my choke out completely. Some issues on real cold days, but I have a procedure for that now. Tip bike over until it "floods" then start.

Remove the intake snorkle, if it is still there. If it has not been rejetted, a larger pilot can make for easier starting. A larger main will help for top end power.

Handguards can be a wonderful addition.

Suspension upgrades. Springs that match your weight, unless you weigh the 170 pounds the stockers are made for.

• xr500_89

Posted May 06, 2006 - 09:07 AM

The choke plate is a weak link. It has a steel flapper that can break off and get sucked into the engine. On my XR600 it was about to break, and the entire choke plate had a big crack in it. There are aftermarket replacement plates available. I just took my choke out completely. Some issues on real cold days, but I have a procedure for that now. Tip bike over until it "floods" then start.

Remove the intake snorkle, if it is still there. If it has not been rejetted, a larger pilot can make for easier starting. A larger main will help for top end power.

Handguards can be a wonderful addition.

Suspension upgrades. Springs that match your weight, unless you weigh the 170 pounds the stockers are made for.

well im 6' 1" and weigh 170-180 that would mean the stock suspension is perfect for me?

• roadcam

Posted May 06, 2006 - 09:14 AM

properly jetting the carb is a very good mod ... the bikes come drastically lean from the factory ... re-jetting not only increases performance, but will result in a much cooler-running engine, ... :crazy:

• cleonard

Posted May 06, 2006 - 10:37 AM

well im 6' 1" and weigh 170-180 that would mean the stock suspension is perfect for me?

Perfect, um I doubt it. At least it's in the ball park. XR600's are known to be well under sprung. It's not suspended for a MX track. I'm around 260 and the stock springs are not even close to what I need for trail riding. It really all depends on rider preference. If you are an aggressive rider you might benefit from stiffer springs , even though you weigh about what Honda designed the suspension for. It also depends on what kind of riding conditions you experience.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  132 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.