cam selection

11 replies to this topic
  • dan3084

Posted May 05, 2006 - 03:55 PM

I have a 91 xr 600r and the cam and rocker arms all whent to hell a couple of weekends ago so I am going to have xr's only fix the head and top cover, but I wanted to know what kind of cam sould i run and where can I get it. Xr's only told me that the hot cam that they sell is really a crappy cam and they do not recomend anyone to use the hotcams cams in the xr 600's. They say that they do not last very long and that they can cause a lot of damage to your motor, so my question is what cam should I run and where can I find it.

P.S. what are some other good mods to do while the bike is all torn apart

• xr500_89

Posted May 05, 2006 - 04:54 PM

well put an 11:1 compression piston in there from wiseco, put a new conrod kit in there, of course new cam and i dont know who told you the hot cam is crap cause ive gotten nothing but good reviews on it so they must be smoking crack

• cleonard

Posted May 06, 2006 - 07:17 AM

I can't comment on the cam, as I want maximum longevity and reliability. Same for the hi compression piston, I want to be able to use regular gas if I have to.

The following aren't mods, they are things likely to be worn.

A new cam chain tensioner, as they wear out. When I replaced mine I did a new cam chain too. Ask them about it.

Check the ring end gap. They are likely out of spec depending on how much you ride it. My bike started blowing oil out the breather and I found the ring end gap was way way past spec. The piston and bore were (marginally) OK, so I honed and put in new rings.

When I had the cylinder off to do the rings, I looked in at the transmission. Second and third gears were pretty badly pitted. This was the most costly part to fix. Those gears are expen$ive. If they break, it's new engine time.

• roadcam

Posted May 06, 2006 - 09:17 AM

I have seen posts in the past, that would recommend the Honda HRC performance cam ... supposedly, the HotCams hardened lobes aren't compatible with stock cam followers, quickly wearing them down ... I have no first-hand knowledge of this, but I have heard it said numerous times ... something to consider ... :crazy:

• qadsan

Posted May 06, 2006 - 09:47 AM

... supposedly, the HotCams hardened lobes aren't compatible with stock cam followers, quickly wearing them down ... I have no first-hand knowledge of this, but I have heard it said numerous times ... something to consider ... :crazy:

Then you've heard wrong or are getting things confused. HotCams are one piece newly machined tool steel billet designs (not re-grinds) that are about the same hardness as the stock cam and are specifically designed to work with the stock valve train components if they're in good shape. It's the other cams such as MegaCycle, WebCam, etc, that are regrinds which are hard welded and those are the cams that requires matching hard surface on the rockers / followers and using one of those cams without upgrading your valve train components will quickly wear things down.

dan3084,
XR's Only is full of CRAP to tell you that, but then again, unless you're dealing with the owner 'Freddy', then the info you're getting may be coming from somebody with less experience than your your children. XR's Only hasn't been the same since the owner died (plane crash) and ALL the staff left years ago. It's definitely NOT the same place it used to be!

• SDBSKI

Posted May 06, 2006 - 08:16 PM

XR's only didn't recommend the Hot Cam for my 650L because with this cam you can no longer use the auto decompresser. With no kick starter for backup, it's a good idea to keep the battery load low. Although I have read posts where many people are happy with the cam. I would hate to have to push start it out in the bush. The 600R has a manual decompresser and a kick starter. It should be no problem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • creeky

Posted May 07, 2006 - 05:05 AM

I prefer the stock cam in the interest of longevity. I have used Megacycle and HRC copy cams in XR600s and premature rocker wear is a factor. Whether or not you decide to go with a performance cam, a new set of valve springs is a good thing because the old stockers are probably sacked out from heat and stress, new springs will be easier on the valve train. I like R&D springs.

• xr500_89

Posted May 07, 2006 - 10:23 AM

hey those R&D spring do they make those for xr600's cause right now the entire top end on my bike is in pieces down to the valve seals and i want to build it out before putting it back togethor

• creeky

Posted May 07, 2006 - 11:14 AM

hey those R&D spring do they make those for xr600's cause right now the entire top end on my bike is in pieces down to the valve seals and i want to build it out before putting it back togethor

You can get R&Ds or Kibblewhite springs (Kibblewhites are OK too, MHO) at www.xrsonly.com also Kibblewhites at www.barnumspro.com.

• dan3084

Posted May 08, 2006 - 07:08 PM

Thanks for the input. I dropped the head and top cover off at xr's only and they are going to order me a honda cam and honda cam followers so that there will be no problems but thanks.

• Boy Honda

Posted May 09, 2006 - 12:31 PM

I'ver heard the rumors about the Hotcams camshaft as well. And guess what, I have first hand experience with it wiping a cam lobe and rocker. Barnum will tell you if you're running heavier springs to go with a hard welded cam and rockers for insurance. I just got mine today and it should be in tonight and hopefully a test ride tomorrow.

• Mike_Rides_Red

Posted May 09, 2006 - 07:39 PM

I prefer the stock cam in the interest of longevity. I have used Megacycle and HRC copy cams in XR600s and premature rocker wear is a factor. Whether or not you decide to go with a performance cam, a new set of valve springs is a good thing because the old stockers are probably sacked out from heat and stress, new springs will be easier on the valve train. I like R&D springs.

Megacycle cams are hardwelded which means the cam's surface is made of a stronger alloy. Did you also get your rocker surfaces hardwelded? If not stock rockers will wear prematurley on hardwelded cams.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.