valve clearences...sorry

10 replies to this topic
  • jamieyz426f01

Posted May 05, 2006 - 10:33 AM

Could someone please tell me the valve clearences for my 2001 yz426f :crazy:

• cowboyona426

Posted May 05, 2006 - 11:15 AM

Read your manual, or check the motoman website electronic version of the manual at motoman393.thumpertalk.com. PS, there is a handy little button near the top called search... very helpful.

• jamieyz426f01

Posted May 05, 2006 - 02:20 PM

sorry about the search thing, i tried it but i was in kind of a hurry:blush:
i found the online manual,

intake=0.10-0.15mm
exhaust=0.20-0.25mm

thanks cowboy :crazy:

• Satch0922

Posted May 05, 2006 - 06:46 PM

Go here for a step by step guide on how to adjust/check them

Adjusting YZF Valves

Here is the chart you need from the manual

YZ426F Manual

• jamieyz426f01

Posted May 06, 2006 - 05:40 AM

Go here for a step by step guide on how to adjust/check them

Adjusting YZF Valves

Here is the chart you need from the manual

YZ426F Manual

thank you :crazy: :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jamieyz426f01

Posted May 06, 2006 - 03:22 PM

both exhausts are within specs, but all intakes are tight(clutch side being worse) i can get a 0.05mm under middle and left but it wont slide under the clutch side...is this bad?
shim on right side intake is a 186 i figured going to a 175 would be ok?..maybe a 170 would be safer.
also i am struggling getting the other two buckets out, anyone got a special trick?
:crazy:
p.s no wonder i have a hanging idle :ride:

• Butta

Posted May 06, 2006 - 03:26 PM

both exhausts are within specs, but all intakes are tight(clutch side being worse) i can get a 0.05mm under middle and left but it wont slide under the clutch side...is this bad?
shim on right side intake is a 186 i figured going to a 175 would be ok?..maybe a 170 would be safer.
also i am struggling getting the other two buckets out, anyone got a special trick?
:crazy:
p.s no wonder i have a hanging idle :ride:

Yep, that would explain the hanging idle. As for the buckets that are tough to get out, I gently grab them with a pair of Robogrips to pull them up. If they are really stuck, you might be looking at further problems like the journals being worn. Hopefully it will come right out....maybe the guy before you overtightened the cam caps?

• jamieyz426f01

Posted May 06, 2006 - 03:32 PM

actually i can see a slight burr on the edge of one of the journals in the head :crazy: nothing looks to worn though and the cam spins very free with a dab of oil.

• jamieyz426f01

Posted May 07, 2006 - 05:25 AM

my dad says that having any discolouration on the journals is bad and i might need a new head? :crazy: :ride: ...is this true.

• jamieyz426f01

Posted May 07, 2006 - 08:38 AM

...by the way has anyone got any pics of what a knackered journal looks like, i just put it back in and am hoping it will be ok(it has been that way for nigh on 3 years because i havn't checked them untill now :crazy:), it definately seems like the person that owned the bike before me overtightened the caps.

p.s would the clearences be affected by overtightened caps?

• jamieyz426f01

Posted May 09, 2006 - 12:07 PM

i just started it up and it will cut out or run realy bad if you put the choke on(wont start with it on either) could i be off with the timing?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.