XR650R temp guage

6 replies to this topic
  • HawkGT

Posted May 04, 2006 - 07:05 PM

Anyone ever put a water temp guage on thier 650R? I was thinking about one of these:

Posted Image

I figure the thermostat housing could pretty easily be drilled and tapped for the sensor. Or maybe there would be a better way?

• Max Power

Posted May 04, 2006 - 07:58 PM

Hmmmmm...

Posted Image

• thouk

Posted May 04, 2006 - 08:42 PM

Hawk,
Wait till the Vapor comes out from Trailtech. It has a temp. guage and speedo built into one unit. I have my name on the list for one when they come out. Tony

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HawkGT

Posted May 04, 2006 - 11:36 PM

Hawk,
Wait till the Vapor comes out from Trailtech. It has a temp. guage and speedo built into one unit. I have my name on the list for one when they come out. Tony

I'll wait for your forthcoming report!

Do you know if the temp guage is a water temp sensor or a cylinder head temp sensor (the kind where the sensor looks like a wired eyelet that goes under the spark plug)?

Posted Image

• thouk

Posted May 05, 2006 - 02:33 AM

From what I have seen from them it is a water temp senser. They have a fitting that will go inline that will be specific for each bike that the kit goes for. I have a picture at home. I spoke with one of the employees that works there.

• TimBrp

Posted May 05, 2006 - 02:55 AM

While you wait for the gauge you want why not try some of those pro circuit temp strips that go right on your cylinder?

• qadsan

Posted May 05, 2006 - 08:35 AM

Yeah, years ago I temporarily installed temperature sensors for both oil and water and datalogged the temperatures for a number of rides while investigating the use of Evans coolant in my bikes.

For oil temperature, I drilled & tapped a plug that screwed into the left frame in place of one of the two large allen head frame plugs. Don't modify your stock allen head plug because Honda does not sell this item seperately and you must buy a new frame to get these plugs.

For water temperatures, I drilled & tapped the water pump housing. If you look at the water pump housing, you'll notice a nice boss on it just as if it were made for this purpose. Perhaps somebody at Honda or the vendor they buy this item through had this on their mind when they designed this piece :crazy:.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.