Synthetic or regular oil???

16 replies to this topic
  • Bodhisattva

Posted May 04, 2006 - 03:24 PM

OK im sure the debate has be brought up before, but what do you guys run in your xr650's?? reg or syn oils?
Im going to be changing my oil this weekend, the first oil change, bike has 112 miles, what oil should i run?

Also, a side question, who has the most miles on there 650?

A.without any rebuilds

B. with rebuilds

Lets hear the numbers!!!!

• gnarly sprockets

Posted May 04, 2006 - 04:00 PM

IMO you should break the bike in on non synthetic and switch to full synthetic after. I use synthetic, have about 20000 miles on my XRR and no rebuild. Not that many miles but someone has to start.

• weskc35k

Posted May 04, 2006 - 04:24 PM

What he said.
John you got the "package" yet.

• LotsOfBikes

Posted May 04, 2006 - 08:55 PM

I have close to 60,000 miles on my '95 650L. Raced twice when it was young, and otherwise horribly abused.

I started out using honda HP 20W50 for the first two years. Went through a clutch, 2nd gear, new head all before 18,000 miles.

Now I just use Quaker 10W-40. I change the filter maybe once a year, the oil once every 6 or 7 months. The current clutch has been with it for around 40,000 miles.

I'm waiting for the engine to actually die so I can have an excuse to buy a brand new 650L engine from Service Honda :crazy:

• XR_mad

Posted May 04, 2006 - 11:56 PM

I have close to 60,000 miles on my '95 650L. Raced twice when it was young, and otherwise horribly abused.

I started out using honda HP 20W50 for the first two years. Went through a clutch, 2nd gear, new head all before 18,000 miles.

Now I just use Quaker 10W-40. I change the filter maybe once a year, the oil once every 6 or 7 months. The current clutch has been with it for around 40,000 miles.

I'm waiting for the engine to actually die so I can have an excuse to buy a brand new 650L engine from Service Honda :crazy:

give it another 20 years maybe?

• gnarly sprockets

Posted May 05, 2006 - 05:03 AM

What he said.
John you got the "package" yet.

It has not arrived.

• Bodhisattva

Posted May 05, 2006 - 08:45 AM

Holy cow...40-60k miles...i had no idea they went so long, on a stock engine, no rebuilds.
So should i run it again then on just reg name brand 10w-40? thenmaybe change to synthetic, or stick with reg?
How many miles should i go between changes? im going the first one tomorrow i think, with 112 miles.
also, one guy said he changes the oil filter once a year, where as ive herd another guy say everytime the oil is changed.
seems that theres no right and wrong answer?

• cleonard

Posted May 05, 2006 - 09:32 AM

Holy cow...40-60k miles...i had no idea they went so long, on a stock engine, no rebuilds.
So should i run it again then on just reg name brand 10w-40? thenmaybe change to synthetic, or stick with reg?
How many miles should i go between changes? im going the first one tomorrow i think, with 112 miles.
also, one guy said he changes the oil filter once a year, where as ive herd another guy say everytime the oil is changed.

I have a XR600, not a 650L, but it's more or less the same. I've tried just about every type of oil. I've settled on using the diesel oils. I currently use Shell Rotella 15W-40 oil. It's only about $8 a gal at Walmart. The 10W-40 car oils shear out of grade quickly in a bike. The diesel oils are much more resistant to the shearing. I've also had good results with Castrol GTX 20W-50.

Since these oils are cheap I change it often. I try and do it every 200 to 300 miles. Those are hard trail riding miles. I change the filter every second (or third) time. If you bike is new, put a new filter with the first few changes to catch all the metal. Be sure to clean the screen at the bottom of the frame oil tank too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • captb

Posted May 05, 2006 - 10:37 AM

I run Mobil 1 Gold Cap 15/50 in summer 10/40 winter, I change the filter every other oil change and clean the downtube screen once a year, it runs cool and I have never had to add oil between oil changes every 800 to 1200 miles depending how much off road miles, usually 50/50. Same with my Mitsubishi Eclipse I4, it has 55,000 miles, 5k oil change intervals, still on the full mark after 5k. Same on my Blackbird 35k on it and never used a drop of oil 3k oil change intervals. If you want cheaper oil, as listed in this post oils like Delvac are good.

• scapegoat

Posted May 05, 2006 - 12:13 PM

Theres mass amounts of scuttlebutt about oils. Seems the general concensious is running Diesel type 15/40 oils or synthetic versions in 5/40. Ther offer far better protection additive package wise. I could never understand though how Ive read from most all studies that 10/40 is the worst choise for any oil or application due to the spread of viscoscities from 10/40. It tends to fall apart from the span it must maintain.

• BigBoreRacing

Posted May 05, 2006 - 07:01 PM

[COLOR=Red]After you get it broke in....Mobil1 full syn. :crazy:
I change my oil every other ride and change the filter ever other oil change.
Of coarse those are hard desert/single track miles...not sure about how often to change for road miles :ride:[/COLOR]

• resslera

Posted May 05, 2006 - 08:00 PM

I rode my new 650R for the first few hundred miles on conventional Honda 10w40. Then I put in Mobil 1 15w50 Extended Performance (gold cap). Good stuff for the price. In my wifes bike which is a smaller Yamaha I use the Shell Rotella 5w40 (diesel).

People make much more of a mystery about oil than there needs to be and I too was really caught up in it. Bottom line, the manual will steer you right. No where in the manual does it require motorcyle oil. It says you can use MA, and it also says in the 650R manual API SH or higher that does not say "energy conserving". For that reason the Mobil 1 15w50 and your diesel oils fit the bill well. You probably not find any oil, conventional or synthetic labelled "energy conserving" on the API label in the 10w40 range or higher.

• Bodhisattva

Posted May 05, 2006 - 08:50 PM

Thank you guys for the replys.
Its sounds like as long as i use a good quality oil, its does not really matter.
so its either diesel oil or synthetic it sounds like.
Sould i go to a honda dealer for the actual oil filter from them? and i suppose the first 112 miles i have on the bike, makes the filter and oil have alittle metel in it right?
so i guess you could say the first oil change is the most important?

• Thumpmeister

Posted May 06, 2006 - 01:18 AM

Does the bike sound or run any different on the synth oils?

Sometimes on different machines, it can run a little quieter, w/ just a hint more power. Anyone notice anything like this on their BRP's?

• gnarly sprockets

Posted May 06, 2006 - 04:21 AM

I put 60,000 miles on a XL250 w/o a rebuild in the 70's running Amsoil. I sold it to a friend that neglected it but didn't ride it much and it laid on it's side for nine years in his front yard. He then gave it back to me and I have the cam and main bearings in my garage today. The cam shows little wear and the mains look like new. I also run Mobil 1 in my bikes now.

• Iggy1

Posted May 06, 2006 - 01:50 PM

I have 87,000 kms on mine. I retired in 2000 and I ride dual sport everyday in Nova Scotia. I ride all year, as long as there is no snow on the road but ride in snow off-road. I use Motomaster Formula 1 20w50 4stroke oil, spring to fall and 10w40 4stroke oil winter. If I can't get that, I use Castrol with same #'s. I change the oil usually around 1200 kms unless on a long trip of paved and dirt roads. If I get into some single track slow mud trails for the day I will change it the next day. Unless the oil is really dark I will change the filter every second change.
So far I haven't had to open the cases to do any work yet and I hope I don't have to. My BRP has never been raced but it has seen high speeds and lots of 1st and 2nd gear riding in the Highlands.

• resslera

Posted May 06, 2006 - 06:32 PM

Thumpmeister,

The 650r is the only bike I put 100% synth in (Mobil 1 15w50). When I did the first time it was actually idling considerably higher. I had to drive around a while to get warm and then lower the idle a bit. Is that due to less friction? That would be my guess but I find it real hard to believe to be true. With the heavier synth oil the engine is quiet IMO.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.