HELP!!California Green Sticker questions

15 replies to this topic
  • SoCalWR426

Posted October 19, 2001 - 06:56 AM

Hi Kid's
I keep hearing stories about getting Green sticker instead of red, I have asked my dealer and he insists that I can only get red. Is there some kind of secret handshake or somthing,my WR426 should be here in Nov, and I would like to have the information in hand when I do the paper trail,as I'm sure undoing red sticker in this State would be impossable or next to it. THX.

• sirhk

Posted October 19, 2001 - 06:59 AM

What's your email? I'll email you my seceret hand shake procedure. It's worked twice so far.

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"
"It's a Yellow 99' YZ400!!"

• big_G

Posted October 19, 2001 - 11:21 AM

There are others who share your interests... you guys gonna share??

• SoCalWR426

Posted October 19, 2001 - 11:22 AM

Originally posted by sirhk:
What's your email? I'll email you my seceret hand shake procedure. It's worked twice so far.

Hi Khris, e-mail is
maarmstrong@webtv.net
Thanks
MIke

------------------

• sirhk

Posted October 19, 2001 - 11:34 AM

Alright never mind, I'll post it here. I've heard of a couple differnet ways and I'm sure if you do a search you'll find a couple of them. The way I've done it is actually pretty simple. I was initially issued a Red Sticker. I honestly lost it before I put it on my bike. So, I went down to the DMV and walked up to the dumbest looking lady at the counter, you know, the one with little english skills that's easily confused!! Anyways, I said, "I lost my GREEN sticker and need to get another GREEN sticker." She punched in all my info in the computer and said okay, that'll be $2. And out I walked with a Green sticker. About 3 months ago I renewed my registration again through the mail and they sent me another red sticker. Again I went back to the same DMV and went to the most gullable looking person and did the same thing. This time they did give me another Red Sticker. I was out $2. Oh well. The next day I actually went to another DMV and tried it again and it worked so this time it cost me my registration and $4. This has worked for me twice now and is pretty simple. Just keep mentioning GREEN sticker and avoid the word RED. If they do say you're getting a Red sticker try to argue with them saying that you don't own a closed coarse bike etc... and if you have to take the red sticker and try again. Like I sadi though, this was easy and worked for me twice but there are other ways. Do a search or maybe try posting the question on DRN where I think there are more users to ask since it's not a certain bike specific page.

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"

• SoCalWR426

Posted October 19, 2001 - 01:23 PM

Alright never mind, I'll post it here. I've heard of a couple differnet ways and I'm sure if you do a search you'll find a couple of them. The way I've done it is actually pretty simple. I was initially issued a Red Sticker. I honestly lost it before I put it on my bike. So, I went down to the DMV and walked up to the dumbest looking lady at the counter, you know, the one with little english skills that's easily confused!! Anyways, I said, "I lost my GREEN sticker and need to get another GREEN sticker." She punched in all my info in the computer and said okay, that'll be $2. And out I walked with a Green sticker. About 3 months ago I renewed my registration again through the mail and they sent me another red sticker. Again I went back to the same DMV and went to the most gullable looking person and did the same thing. This time they did give me another Red Sticker. I was out $2. Oh well. The next day I actually went to another DMV and tried it again and it worked so this time it cost me my registration and $4. This has worked for me twice now and is pretty simple. Just keep mentioning GREEN sticker and avoid the word RED. If they do say you're getting a Red sticker try to argue with them saying that you don't own a closed coarse bike etc... and if you have to take the red sticker and try again. Like I sadi though, this was easy and worked for me twice but there are other ways. Do a search or maybe try posting the question on DRN where I think there are more users to ask since it's not a certain bike specific page.

Thanks Khris,
simple & straight forward Plus we can have the satisfaction of getting one by the state. Perhaps there are others who also know of way's, All comments are welcome information.

------------------

• SFO

Posted October 19, 2001 - 02:16 PM

sirhk, thats a hoot!
The most consistant thing I have noticed about cal dmv is get the money and have your paperwork in such a way that the counterperson doesn't have to work or consider anything...
You could always buy a old junker and reg it just for a green sticker...
Or have your buddy with the green sticker bike get a replacement.
It will always be the appearance of conformity...
I also had a michigan green sticker when I first moved to Ca. I rode Hollister and Metcalf with no problems and was not even qustioned. It was an up to date reg.
You can get a green sticker in wisconsin or michigan just by going to a shop that sells them. One of our TT could provide us with current out of state green stickers that would allow us into the parks.
The last time I purchased a wisconsin green sticker it was $10.00.
Wisconsin has no dirtbike titles so it isn't attatched to a vin in reality.
Will the Pack stomp the Vikes?

• John_in_Long_Beach

Posted October 19, 2001 - 03:09 PM

Sirhk & Kris

I have done the same thing, but the more I ride in different areas, the more I am realizing that doesn't really matter. Rangers just don't seem to care

Spark Arrestor - Tres Importante.

Green / Red sticker - who cares.

So even after going through the DMV song & dance to get a Green sticker on my son's 2000 YZ80, I feel that I may have wasted my time and energy unnecessarily.

------------------
2000WR - EKN#5, 172MJ, 226MAJ, MAJ Passage drilled to 278, 48PJ, 100PAJ, YZ timing, BK mod, 3/4 turn pilot screw, DSP tapered header and pipe, IMS tank & YZ seat, Scotts dampener & triple clamp & Renthal Fatbar 971, White Bros suspension, Dunlop 756's.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SoCalWR426

Posted October 19, 2001 - 03:40 PM

Originally posted by John in Long Beach:
Sirhk & Kris

I have done the same thing, but the more I ride in different areas, the more I am realizing that doesn't really matter. Rangers just don't seem to care

Spark Arrestor - Tres Importante.

Green / Red sticker - who cares.

So even after going through the DMV song & dance to get a Green sticker on my son's 2000 YZ80, I feel that I may have wasted my time and energy unnecessarily.

Been hearing that a few times too, I guess the addition to this question would be, has anybody or know anyone who has been ticketed? and what was the fine?

• H20Pumper

Posted October 19, 2001 - 06:47 PM

SIRHK, sorry to have to ask, but what is DRN?? thanks

• darbsitton

Posted October 20, 2001 - 03:05 AM

A street tag is just as good as a green sticker, ride any time any where Posted Image

• Jeremy

Posted October 20, 2001 - 08:46 AM

Not to put words into Sirhk's mouth, but I think he's referring to Dirt Rider Network which has a forum with about 10,000 registered users. Not nearly as nicely laid out as TT or as much valuable information, but helpful on occasion. Try it at http://www.dirtrider.net/

Oh yeah, my buddy used that technique once when he accidentally (no really) damaged his red sticker on his YZ125. Went back to DMV, requested another GREEN sticker, clerk was in the process of handing it to him when a supervisor walked by and went ballistic. "What in the world was she doing?!" "You off-roaders should know better!" blah, blah. Didn't work that time, but it was oh so close.

[This message has been edited by Jeremy (edited October 20, 2001).]

• scrooks

Posted October 21, 2001 - 09:10 PM

sirhk,
Just bought a new wr and would love help with this whole rigistration deal. Here's my email. Thanks for any light you can shed on this ordeal.(scrooks@monierlifetile.com)

• vanxr

Posted October 21, 2001 - 05:05 PM

Ask your dealer to sell you a Canadian model. I bought Canadian and did not have to do the grey wire, throttle stop mods. Green sticky arrived 3 weeks later. I bought Canadian so I can DS the bike.
Mission Yamaha sells the Canadians. They're in Mission Viejo. Most dealers will tell you you cant get a Canadian model. Thats BS.

------------------
2001 WR426

• sirhk

Posted October 22, 2001 - 05:28 AM

DRN, yup, dirtrider.net Like said above, it's not as good as this sight but for questions like how to get hooked up with Green Stickers that's the place because it's more the just yamaha 400/426 users and they have A LOT of users so you just have more chances of someone to answer.

As for how to do it. I explained it pretty much above. Like stated, walk in with all of your paper work so that they don't have to do any more searching then needed to keep them from hitting something that says RED STICKER. I took in my pink slip and since I have a green sticker I took in my previous registration too to show them that I had a green sticker.

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"

• SoCalWR400

Posted October 22, 2001 - 08:13 AM

I think the easiest way is to get an out of state ca green sticker. Most dealers sell them for $20.00 and there good for a year from December to December. I recently went into a park with one and had no hassles.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.