New 06 WR450 Owner

11 replies to this topic
  • spick

Posted May 04, 2006 - 08:24 AM

I guess it's mine now that it's insured and paid for. I'm just waiting for the dealer to swap out the tires for some DOT knobbies and it will be (almost) ready to go!

I going to dual-sport the bike with the main purpose of driving it to the trails. The dealer will plate it and I will add the brake switch and other (un)necessary items.

And to think I almost bought a DRZ400. Luckily someone beat me to the one in town so I had to pony up for the WR.

I'm looking forward to hitting the trails again!

• odonnks

Posted May 04, 2006 - 10:53 AM

You'll love that thing.
I wish a dual sport version was offered here :crazy:
Its a real pain in the butt to reconstruct a title these days in PA.

• -Y-

Posted May 04, 2006 - 10:57 AM

I guess it's mine now that it's insured and paid for. I'm just waiting for the dealer to swap out the tires for some DOT knobbies and it will be (almost) ready to go!

I going to dual-sport the bike with the main purpose of driving it to the trails. The dealer will plate it and I will add the brake switch and other (un)necessary items.

And to think I almost bought a DRZ400. Luckily someone beat me to the one in town so I had to pony up for the WR.

I'm looking forward to hitting the trails again!

You bet you are lucky! I was not so :crazy: I got the DRZ :ride:

Now I have to see what it is going to cost me to get rid of the pig and get the WR450F. It's true there are a lot of things I can do to try to bring the DRZ up to spec, but in the end it is going to be cheaper to pony up and get the WR. :ride:

Congrats and enjoy your ride :lol:

• Orangevale

Posted May 04, 2006 - 11:03 AM

I was going to post my intro too, but found that yours was about the same as mine would be so:

+1

• spick

Posted May 04, 2006 - 11:07 AM

Thanks Guys.

This will be a big move from my 84 XR350; so I am going to leave her stuffed up tight for the time being. I figure I will truly appreciate the 'free mods' at the appropriate time.

You can count on me to come back and ask for the odd tidbit of info. I've already scoured the forum and there is a lot of great stuff here already.

• OneToGo

Posted May 04, 2006 - 07:43 PM

Thanks Guys.

This will be a big move from my 84 XR350; so I am going to leave her stuffed up tight for the time being. I figure I will truly appreciate the 'free mods' at the appropriate time.

You can count on me to come back and ask for the odd tidbit of info. I've already scoured the forum and there is a lot of great stuff here already.

Enjoy the Bike and welcome to TT - as you have already found, it is a great site and you, as I did, will learn heaps. Just remember to pass it on to newer WR owners.
You will enjoy doing the mods and will marvel at the transformation, particularly Engine performance :ride:

I did ALL my mods as soon as I got my bike - you dont have to use all the performance right away but the bike simply does not run well out of the crate. Also, you cant effectively break the motor in if you cant rev it...Throttle stop has to come out and grey wire has to go... Now it wont rev. well if the airbox, pipe and jets are not done, so those mods get done...Get the picture?? A lot of the FREE and NOT free mods work together..
I was similarly cautious at first but the Bike ran CRAP, so I just did it all in one go. Took two half days of happy wrenching, then :ride:

You were right in not buying the DRZ, also, it is a big step up from the XR

Enjoy anyway :crazy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Beejay

Posted May 04, 2006 - 08:58 PM

You made the right choice with the WR, congrats and as stated above you will learn plenty here at TT. I did & continue to. :crazy:

• spick

Posted May 05, 2006 - 02:05 AM

Ok, I follow you OneToGo.

So basically the list in order would be:

1. Throttle Stop
2. Grey Wire
3. Airbox (Concerned here as there are a lot of wet conditions on da rock)
4. Pipe (Promoto Insert?)
5. Appropriate Jetting

Where does the AIS kit fall into this order. I also read that another fellow did well by doing the AIS and ProMoto Insert first. Then followed with the rest at a later time.

Will out of the box performance really affect the breakin period? I plan on doing the moto-tune method - half throttle in first and second gear on the road, then engine engine breaking (off throttle), rinse and repeat for 32km (20 miles).

Thanks Guys.

• -Y-

Posted May 05, 2006 - 06:40 AM

Will out of the box performance really affect the breakin period? I plan on doing the moto-tune method - half throttle in first and second gear on the road, then engine engine breaking (off throttle), rinse and repeat for 32km (20 miles).

Yes, out of box performance will effect breakin. I may be wrong but that is not the mototune method I've read or discussed with Pat. While it is not necessary to hit the rev limiter every time you roll on the throttle or while engine breaking, it is important to load the engine in both those ways. With the WR unable to crank up the revs without the free(ish) mods done, loading the engine to any sort of acceptable rate will be difficult if not impossible.

Take the time and do the mods. With the AIS removal kit ($35-$40) you will get a correct throttle stop screw (simple change), grey wire is a snap, air box will take some fiddling but is simple, pipe is also relatively quick and add the promoto for low decibels and some gains (apparently?) and take your time with carb jetting (use the info in this forum). At worst it should take you one evening for the carb and one for the rest. And at about $100-$150 or so (depending on whether you use the jets etc in the AIS kit or get a jet kit) you really have no excuse not to free the beast.

If you are not confident going hard on the new bike then just warm the thing well and go find some hills. Load the engine on the way up and engine break going down. Speeds can stay in a relatively low range that way. Use 3rd and 4th gears mostly as 1st and 2nd don't give the compression you're looking for.

Side note- I was looking at maps of Newfoundland and that is some interesting geography. Weather looks too cold for my bones but I bet the WR will be the exploring machine you need to see the whole of your island. There must be some super beautiful places. Ride well, stay safe.

• OneToGo

Posted May 05, 2006 - 07:04 AM

Ok, I follow you OneToGo.

So basically the list in order would be:

1. Throttle Stop
2. Grey Wire
3. Airbox (Concerned here as there are a lot of wet conditions on da rock)
4. Pipe (Promoto Insert?)
5. Appropriate Jetting

Where does the AIS kit fall into this order.??....half throttle in first and second gear on the road, then engine engine breaking (off throttle), rinse and repeat for 32km (20 miles).

Thanks Guys.

The order does not matter if you do the lot. However, I did the easier ones first so I would not get frustrated. BTW, my Unabiker rad guards were by far and away the hardest mod (had to grind some away, bolts were tough) - and they cost$!
If you are really concerned with the airbox in the wet, then just remove the "snorkle" (in back of the battery strap) for the time being, it is easy - that will allow enough air. The WR breathes quite well, the side cutouts take a bit of care...
The AIS is not a necessity, just adds air to the exhaust on decel. Makes it hard to judge lean condition though and causes popping, also adds weight and looks ugly. It a cheap anti-smog stick-on. To remove well using the TT kit can take a while. The GYT-R is quicker but looks patchy (IMO). If you have the tank and seat off (say to get at the carb or fit rad guards) then it is a relatively small step to go the rest of the way and fit/unfit the AIS kit.

-Y- adds some good info on break-in and basically sings from the same book as me. It is not just 1st and second gears...
Remember these are just opinions but I have seen this debated many times in the last 6 months or so. You can do a search to back anything up. Also check these for break-in, one is mototune..

http://mototuneusa.c..._in_secrets.htm
Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm
New Engine Break-in Procedure

Get back and let us know if you need specifics. someone is here every few hours or so, some more than others. :crazy:

• spick

Posted May 05, 2006 - 08:51 AM

I am familiar with the mototune page, I have read it several times over. Since he makes reference to 1st and 2nd gear, that was my thinking behind it, I can't go tearing around town at 80+kph just to break in the engine! Hills are in abundance here though so I can certainly find some longer stretches of hill to load the engine with. A couple of trips to Cape Spear* and back would do the trick. . That road ride has hills in abundance with little traffic, perfect for breaking in I'm guessing.

The trouble with the mods is that the local dealers will not have any of this in stock, and getting it in takes at least a day or two via air, which adds to the costs of it all. My bike may not be ready for this weekend, and if not, I will certainly look into ordering what I need.

Will the AIS kit include the necessary jets for my environment? I'm guessing 0 - 1500 for elevation, and 60 - 75 degrees for the summer temps usually.

Thanks guys.

(*The most Easterly point in North America)

• OneToGo

Posted May 05, 2006 - 08:29 PM

Will the AIS kit include the necessary jets for my environment? I'm guessing 0 - 1500 for elevation, and 60 - 75 degrees for the summer temps usually.

Thanks guys.
(*The most Easterly point in North America)

All my stuff had to come via Air Post, once I knew the bike was on the way I just "bit the bullet" ordering most from TT. Package after package...wife was wondering what was going ON :ride:
Any way, to the point, The TT kit comes with three plugs only, not sure about the GYT-R. You will still need to go shopping for JETS. Depending on the Temp/Alt range you ride in I think you will need;

Mains: 170 and 168 (STD165)
Pilot: 48 (STD 45)
Leak: 35 and 40 (STD 50)
Starter: 68 and 70 (STD 65)
Needle: adjustable clip

Please also see Indy and Clark jetting guides

The JD Kit from TT Store solves a lot of the jetting problems (with fine tuning) and comes with TWO needles and Main Jets only (168/170). Should get you going..

Your bike WILL need the Pilot and Mains, the rest are for fine tuning IMO.

There are a number of US suppliers, SUDCO is one. I ordered some through my local dealer, some came with the JD kit and some from an Aussie supplier (Ballards - they race and sponser Yamaha riders).

I for one suggest the JD, worked for me, BUT, anecdotal heresay reckons the WR is a bit finnicky re. jetting...I have to agree!

:crazy:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.