Need Jetting Help

7 replies to this topic
  • bandit99

Posted May 04, 2006 - 07:34 AM

2005 WR450. 168 main, 48 pilot, JD red #5, WB E2 pipe, snorkle removed, Boysen Qucik Shot, fuel screw 1 1/2 turns. Alt 500 ft.

The quickshot really helped with the initial surge when I hit the trottle. The problem I am having is there is a lag after the initial surge and when the power comes on. Is this a needle adjustment? I think it is wanting more gas but I am not sure. Any thoughts???

• Bandit9

Posted May 04, 2006 - 07:46 PM

Do you adjust your fuel screw after the bike is warmed up? If not, then try that first b/c it is easy. 1.5 turns out, is that a starting point. Depending on the weather/altitude, the ideal setting for that day might be a little more or less than 1.5. There is no "magic" number. If that doesn't clear it up, then drop the clip one more slot to give some more fuel.

• pkcof

Posted May 04, 2006 - 10:04 PM

ok, where is the problem exactly ? ... 1/4 throttle, 1/2 or WOT cause it sure sounds like a needle choice or clip position to me. I use what they call the Yamaha racing needle in my '05. It came with the bike when i bought it new from the dealer here in Melbourne, Australia. If you can get your hands on one and try the 3rd or 4th clip position i think it may just solve your problem. Possibly a #170 main may also help due to the fact that you've opened up the breathing from the airbox to the pipe ....

• bg10459

Posted May 05, 2006 - 06:50 AM

The problem I am having is there is a lag after the initial surge and when the power comes on. Is this a needle adjustment?

This leads me to believe it is the needle. Try the blue #3 and see what happens. What are the temps there?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bandit99

Posted May 05, 2006 - 02:52 PM

Temp was in the low 70's. I am going to try a 170 main just because that is really easy to do. I recently put the Boysen Quickshot on and I adjusted the pumpt to the .10 mm setting (or is it .01). Maybe I need to open that up and give it more squirt? I have the blue needle and will mess with that too. I am going to do a test and tune day tomorrow and I'll let you know.

• pkcof

Posted May 08, 2006 - 09:34 PM

sorry i forgot to ask ... have you done the grey wire mod yet ?

• odonnks

Posted May 09, 2006 - 02:06 AM

You might try to reduce the leak jet size.
The LJ helps determine the AP squirt volume. I never had this problem but if the QS helped and lag comes after the AP squirt (which is what it sounds like) Try a smaller LJ.

I run a #35 with the QS.

• OneToGo

Posted May 09, 2006 - 10:10 PM

You might try to reduce the leak jet size.
The LJ helps determine the AP squirt volume. I never had this problem but if the QS helped and lag comes after the AP squirt (which is what it sounds like) Try a smaller LJ.

I run a #35 with the QS.

Agreed, you guys in OZ`are heading into winter...I would go with the MJ170 and get a 40 and 35 Leak. I ran Blue clip 3 and MJ 170 in temps less than 20c and the bike was great- similar setup to yours...
The 06 WR is fairly sensitive to jetting changes (and fussy IMO). Try doing the airbox cutouts, helps a little as well :crazy:
A`YZ AP diaphram may also be worth a look for a longer squirt. :ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.