How much air filter treatment?

1 reply to this topic
  • snmhanson

Posted May 03, 2006 - 10:20 PM

I just cleaned and re-treated my air filter for the first time and although I followed the directions as best I could I was not sure on how much treatment to put on it. I put enough on so that when I squeezed it pretty hard I could get a few drops out. Is that about right? The directions on the can said to saturate the filter and then squeeze all the excess out. I must have put on about a quarter of a spray can before I could get just the few drops out by squeezing it, not what I would call saturated but it sure seems like it should be enough. If I put too much on all it will do is make the bike run bad while putting not enough will make it easier to get dirt into the motor, right? Thanks for any help on what should be a simple question. Oh, also, how often should I be cleaning my filter considering I mainly ride trails and recreational track?

Matt

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tmckeown

Posted May 03, 2006 - 11:01 PM

Hi,

You should clean you filter when it looks dirty. It is not really specified anywhere how much or how long you can drive between cleaning it. If in doubt clean :crazy:

I use liquid filter oil and it colours the filter. So then I know it has been applied everywhere. Squeesing excess off comes with practise. Too much filter oil will block air from the engine and it will go to rich mixture.

Timo Mc

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.