Tips on installing the 680kit?

8 replies to this topic
  • YoungGunXR

Posted May 03, 2006 - 06:33 PM

My brother just got the 680 kit with 11:1 compression from barnums pro for his 650r and Im helping him installing it. We also have the hotcam stage 2 that will be installed. We already have the bike torn down and have all the parts. I was just wondering if there will be anything differnt when reinstalling everything such has clearance problems and what not. Any help would be really nice. By the way this bike will have the edelbrock pumper, full PC pipe, 680 kit, and hotcam stage should haul right?......LOL :crazy:

• Naru

Posted May 03, 2006 - 09:04 PM

No tips personally (I just had Rob do the install; rather safe then sorry), but with that setup your engine should get up and haul the mail, especially in high speed terrain. Mine is a blast, but it's only fun when traveling at higher speed (30 or 40 MPH +).. If I'm doing any slower riding, it's just a handful so I leave it at home and take the CRF.

• goofour

Posted May 04, 2006 - 06:15 PM

When it's done enter it in a tractor pull and tell us how well you did :crazy:

• YoungGunXR

Posted May 05, 2006 - 01:05 PM

LOL Yeah Ill do that. Did anyone have any clearnace problems between the piston and valves? Barnum said to check, just wondering if its a common thing with the stage two cam and 11:1 piston.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted May 05, 2006 - 01:12 PM

It will probably fit, but you should *ALWAYS* do a clay check to make 100% certain there is enough clearance with thermal expansion taken into account, othwewise you risk some serious damage that's likely expensive.

• Supplicate

Posted May 05, 2006 - 05:50 PM

This thread has some good info for 680 stuff IMO:

• BWB63

Posted May 05, 2006 - 06:00 PM

I have a 680cc kit in mine with Barnum's Cam. I have Banum's steel sleeve and would not go with a steel sleeve again. I would go Nikasil and have it done through Luke's Racing. :crazy:

• YoungGunXR

Posted May 06, 2006 - 03:51 PM

What was bad about the steel sleave? What is the stock one made out of?

• BWB63

Posted May 06, 2006 - 03:58 PM

The stock is Nikasil and if you go with Nikasil again it can be done three times thicker. The steel sleeve does not expand at the same rate and you have a much greater chance of cold seizer. My bike seized on the dyno while Barnum was running it. You can run a tighter piston to cylinder clearance with Nikasil and the bike seems to have much more power.

Related Content

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  41 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.