electric start button doesn't work

12 replies to this topic
  • dezdog10

Posted May 03, 2006 - 06:33 PM

When I hit the button I just get a click noise. The battery is fully charged. Help!
Thanks,
dezdog
05wr450 with all the tricks

• clark4131

Posted May 03, 2006 - 06:42 PM

How do you know the battery is fully charged? The ignition light is not a reliable indicator...SC

• dezdog10

Posted May 03, 2006 - 06:49 PM

I had it on the charger all day and tested with my tester. After that I put it in my wifes crf230 and it turned it right over. What next?
dezdog

• clark4131

Posted May 03, 2006 - 06:56 PM

Sounds like starter issues. You didn't pressure wash it by chance, did you? I'd pull the starter and check per the manual. Hopefully someone with direct experience will chime in...SC

• bg10459

Posted May 03, 2006 - 06:58 PM

Check all electrical connections between the starter and battery.
Check starter itself for broken gears or other obstructions.
Make sure you're not in gear.
Sometimes the engine stops just past the decomp cam; the starter can't push the compression.
Some starters get shorted windings, too. You may have to clean them up and re-solder. :crazy:

• rich1167

Posted May 03, 2006 - 07:07 PM

What kind of charger did you use? The older type for cars won't work and could damage your battery. Get a new tender and put it on it. I had the same issues. Your manual specs out the type of charger to use.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dezdog10

Posted May 03, 2006 - 07:11 PM

Its not in gear because I can still kick start it, and I did check the conections under the seat and the 2 fuses. I never preasure wash it either. I'll go ahead and pull the starter off and inspect. Thanks,
dezdog

• dezdog10

Posted May 03, 2006 - 07:14 PM

I used a new charger for motorcycle batteries, and like I said it fired my wifes bike right up.
dezdog

• jerryls

Posted May 03, 2006 - 07:39 PM

On all of my bikes (street and dirt) through the years, the dreaded clicking sound meant it was time for a new battery. Just replaced the one in my WR after about 2 years of use. I charged the old battery up, but still got the clicking. Put in a new one and it started cranking over again.

The only place I could find the battery in stock was Rocky Mt. Was around $70.

BTW, your battery probably has enough cranking power left to turn over a little CRF, but not enough for a big bore bike.

Jerry

• chubbyfat

Posted May 04, 2006 - 12:15 AM

sounds like battery to me. My brand new '06 battery was a POS. Had to be replaced. yes, it was fully charged on the tender and was still worthless. did the clicking and everything. This was the first time i've had abnormality with a new Yuasa battery.

Just try a new battery, could be a fast, fairly inexpensive fix.

• OneToGo

Posted May 04, 2006 - 12:56 AM

When I hit the button I just get a click noise. The battery is fully charged. Help!
Thanks,
dezdog
05wr450 with all the tricks

Can you tell if this "click" is the starter motor engaging? you would not normally hear it because of all the other mechanical noises as the motor turns and starts. If the battery has enough charge to pull the relays but not enough to crank the motor then that is a possibility. Just like an "almost dead" car battery.
If you have not done any other maintenance other than "charge " the battery, then I would start with that as suggested. Some chargers are rubbish and dont do a good job. Those WR batteries (any Motorcycle MF) are very particular...
Otherwise you are then into checking wiring continuity, start solenoids etc. etc. etc.
I have been closely looking at this recently as I am looking at putting a kit together for a "[COLOR=Blue]Neutral Light[/COLOR]". But thats another subject.
Good luck, electrics suck
:crazy:

• dezdog10

Posted May 04, 2006 - 01:31 PM

The click noise is coming from right next to the battery. I have a hard time thinking its the battery because it fired my wifes bike right up, and then I even tried the battery out of her bike (crf230) which works fine and I got the same 1 click.
dezdog

• OneToGo

Posted May 04, 2006 - 07:21 PM

The click noise is coming from right next to the battery. I have a hard time thinking its the battery because it fired my wifes bike right up, and then I even tried the battery out of her bike (crf230) which works fine and I got the same 1 click.
dezdog

OK, I'm trying to trouble shoot here..
Does the bike start OK with kick?
Sounds like the battery is OK if the "good" CRF one produces the same result.
The click appears to be the starter relay, sounds like that is OK
I would now check the starter fuse, under the seat near the start relay - its 10amp on the 06 and supplies main current to the starter motor, possibly the same on the 05. Check if its blown, check any water or other contamination in the area, if you have a multimeter, that will help..
Check for all wires in that area connected properly.
If the fuse is OK (which i hope its not) then IMO we are into looking at wiring and starter motor..
Good luck :crazy:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.