Melting Right Number Plate Plastic

10 replies to this topic
  • The_Missile

Posted October 19, 2001 - 01:59 AM

Anyone else have this problem ? I have melted a small hole thru where the thing mounts to the exhaust. Any fixes ??

------------------
The Missile
'99 WR400F
Airbox Lid - gone
Throttle Stop - shorty!
Plastics/Tank/Seat - One Industries
Street Legal

• Ynahg

Posted October 19, 2001 - 02:09 AM

Yep
Had the same problem.
I applied a heat shield on the inside of the number plate. It seems to work.

------------------
'99 WR400 F, YZ exhaust, throttle stop trimmed, WR timing, airbox cover removed

• The_Missile

Posted October 19, 2001 - 02:54 AM

What did you use as a heat shield ??

------------------
The Missile
'99 WR400F
Airbox Lid - gone
Throttle Stop - shorty!
Street Legal

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted October 19, 2001 - 05:23 AM

Yo Missle, This has happen to me too. You need to get some heat tape. You can find this stuff from White Bros. Did you buy your bike new? If you did you should have seen the heat tape that Yamaha puts on the side panel. Just ask your local dealer for it, you must have it, I tried to get by without it and my whole side melted. good luck

• SFO

Posted October 19, 2001 - 02:31 PM

If you buy UFO sideplates they come with reflective tape well affixed to the right sideplate.
The acerbis ones don't have it.
UFO parts fit far better as well...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rich_in_Orlando

Posted October 19, 2001 - 07:21 PM

Mine melted right through the heat shield. Twice. That was 50 bucks wasted. Posted Image

• Dougie

Posted October 20, 2001 - 06:17 AM

Same here. After I put the FMF on, it melted through the stock heat shield and side panel.

I ordered a after market side panel and put a stock heat shield on it and it too melted through.

I ordered a stock side panel and heat shield and then put on some more heat shield and now I have a samll hole that seems to be holding but still melted through.

• SFO

Posted October 20, 2001 - 01:06 PM

If you go to a local welding supplier you can buy thermal blankets used to protect stuff that you are welding around.
A 6'x6' blanket could be cut into about 100 heatproofing patches that you could apply with contact cement. I used to have one but I cut it up and used it and it worked very well in these situations.
I think the moto-tiles are overpriced and you end up paying for packaging.

• RAZOR

Posted October 20, 2001 - 05:56 PM

Hey TTers, if you have stock pipes, why not replace the rubber grommet that protects the number plate. No one mentioned it, but I suspect you've lost yours.
RAZOR

------------------

• The_Missile

Posted October 21, 2001 - 10:40 PM

What grommet would that be !!!
I guess this is part of the answer.

ciao

------------------
The Missile
'99 WR400F
Airbox Lid - gone
Throttle Stop - shorty!
Street Legal

• BlueThunder

Posted October 22, 2001 - 05:17 AM

Try this one Missle....this part # applies for a 00 WR. Parts are easily tracked down on www.partsfish.com Posted Image
YAMAHA OEM
DAMPER,LOCATING 1
Part Number
Y22W-24181-00-00

------------------
Y2K WR400FM,Answer top tree w/Accu-Trax clamp,Pro-Tapers(CR-Hi w/ EE handguards),Devol Rad. & frame guards, Guts tall soft foam w/ ballistic cover, 14/52 w/DID VM X-Ring, Kouba-T,Michelin M-12's ft.& rr.,12 oz. flywheel weight, Zip-Ty Racing Link & Shark Fin(plus everything else cool that Ty offers), Cycra front rotor guard and T.M. Designworks Chain guide, buffer & chain wheels. Street legal except for the non-"DOT" tires.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.