Get a plate on a bike in California?

11 replies to this topic
  • crashbain

Posted May 03, 2006 - 01:22 PM

Hi All-
So I did some searching of threads in multiple forums, but didn't find a definitive answer, so I'm posing the question to you all:

Does anyone know if the "Register your bike as a custom vehicle" trick really works to get a license plate in California?

This assumes you have all the correct goodies on it - headlight, signals, brake light, DOT tires, battery, horn, mirrors, etc. I think you also have to get a Brake/Lamp certification too.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks in advance!
Chris

• panaman

Posted May 03, 2006 - 01:32 PM

I would recommend talking to this guy....
http://www.joeracerproducts.com

he gets all kinds of bikes registerd in California.
he can prolly give you some hints..
he also has some stuff on his website about it..

• crashbain

Posted May 03, 2006 - 02:50 PM

Very cool - thanks Panaman! I'll check it out and post here so others won't have to retrace the same steps.

Chris

• crashbain

Posted May 09, 2006 - 03:25 PM

OK - I talked to Off Road Only/Joe Racer Products - cool guy on the phone. :crazy: Here's the deal:

You can only plate a '96 and older 2 stroke
You can only plate a true green sticker 4 stroke bike. If the 8th digit in the VIN is a "3" or a "C" you are screwed
You can do a "special construction" vehicle registration to get a plate, but it's a pain in the a$$:
CHP is involved
You can only do one in your lifetime
You may not sell the bike for a minimum of 5 years
You must still pass all the brake/lamp inspections and anything else the CHP might think you need

Hope this helps.
Chris

• Keyser_Zoze

Posted November 13, 2009 - 07:24 PM

I would recommend talking to this guy....
http://www.joeracerproducts.com

he gets all kinds of bikes registerd in California.
he can prolly give you some hints..
he also has some stuff on his website about it..

He sounded "really cool" when I first talked to him on the phone too!
(Laughs).

I paid Joe Racer Products $534 for his Street Legal Dual Sport Service for my 2009 KTM 400 XCW. It did NOT work and will NOT work in the state of NV.
He sent me a "Certificate of Origin" he created with his company.

Does not matter in the state of Nevada because Nevada DMV now has a database of OFF ROAD VIN Numbers. If your bike was NOT originally manufactured for ON ROAD use you will never get a plate for it (even if you bring it from another state!).

Joe Racer Products LLC and Joe Wytman refuse to refund my money.

I don't even give a crap about the money now. I just want others to know that if they have a problem I doubt they will get there money back. Look him up at the Better Business Bureau and do some research.

There's a reason why he doesn't take credit cards anymore and send all the 2 papers COD via UPS and forces you to pay with a CASHIERS CHECK
(LAUGHS!)

"A fool and his money are soon parted!"

Don't be a fool like me... let my loss be your gain...

Or, believe the politicians when they say:

VOTE for me and I PROMISE to

1.) Lower Your Taxes

2.) Balance The Budget

and

3.) Give you FREE Healthcare!

Either way, we're all between
"Barack and a Hard Place"

• borqueztony

Posted November 13, 2009 - 10:15 PM

Go to a rural DMV and be really nice to the people behind the counter and you might get lucky. The other option is to a buy a on road vin plate off of a frame, sometimes you can find them on Ebay. This is illegal, but the state forces people into this situation because they are a bunch of leberal save the Earth idiots. Same people that drive SUV's and fly personal jets are worried about off road bikes on the street even when the necessary changes have been made...

• BKRacing

Posted November 13, 2009 - 10:26 PM

OK - I talked to Off Road Only/Joe Racer Products - cool guy on the phone. :excuseme: Here's the deal:

You can only plate a '96 and older 2 stroke
You can only plate a true green sticker 4 stroke bike. If the 8th digit in the VIN is a "3" or a "C" you are screwed
You can do a "special construction" vehicle registration to get a plate, but it's a pain in the a$$:
CHP is involved
You can only do one in your lifetime
You may not sell the bike for a minimum of 5 years
You must still pass all the brake/lamp inspections and anything else the CHP might think you need

Hope this helps.
Chris

My 8th number in the vin is not "3" or "c", does that mean I have a fairly good chance of getting this through?

• MotoChris521

Posted November 14, 2009 - 03:52 AM

Or just buy a S model, swap in a bunch of E parts and , viola !
You have a plated dirt bike.

• Keyser_Zoze

Posted November 15, 2009 - 05:33 PM

Go to a rural DMV and be really nice to the people behind the counter and you might get lucky. The other option is to a buy a on road vin plate off of a frame, sometimes you can find them on Ebay. This is illegal, but the state forces people into this situation because they are a bunch of leberal save the Earth idiots. Same people that drive SUV's and fly personal jets are worried about off road bikes on the street even when the necessary changes have been made...

In the Nevada the whole RURAL DMV thing will not work. As far as getting a VIN NUMBER Plate KTM does not use such things... even if they did you'd need to get a plate off an 09 EXC model in my case. I have a 400 XCW and they have all the VIN NUMBERS tracked and down pat real well these days. It would be like trying to make up a social security number.

• Keyser_Zoze

Posted December 11, 2009 - 11:00 PM

Official Better Business Bureau Report for
Joe Racer Products in San Jose CA 95125
joeracerproducts.com

http://sanjose.bbb.o...ductions-240282

Kind of like a report card at school I guess?

• borqueztony

Posted December 12, 2009 - 07:51 AM

Official Better Business Bureau Report for
Joe Racer Products in San Jose CA 95125
joeracerproducts.com

http://sanjose.bbb.o...ductions-240282

Kind of like a report card at school I guess?

Try a special construction registration, this us possible in Neveda. You have to do it in Clark County though, my friend did it last year on his CRF450X.

• TonyMillz400

Posted December 12, 2009 - 03:17 PM

I spent alot of time looking into this in the past.

From the CARB website:

"The California Air Resources Board (ARB) established emission regulations for on-highway motorcycles beginning with 1978-year models. Off-highway motorcycles must have an emission label affixed to the vehicle indicating certification by the manufacturer for on-highway use when converting to on-highway or dual registration. Registration guidelines for off-highway motorcycles converting to on-highway or dual registration require verification of the emission label."

And CA DMV will not just look for the label, it is coded into the VIN, stamped in the frame.

There are ways around, some legal, others not so. Do your research before you choose an easy fix, like the Joe Racer solution, that didn't seem to work. I chose to sell my bike, and get one that is legal from the get-go.

Special construction may work, but I assume it isn't quite as easy as saying to the DMV office, "I built this streel legal bike out of a dirtbike, where's my plate?"

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Who Has The Lightest DRZ400E and How Did You Achieve It? by Positron007

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • Hot  45 replies
Reviews

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2013 by hondajon80

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2013
  • * * * * -
  • 12 reviews
  • Last review by claydus
  • On July 31, 2014
Wiki
Compression & rebound DRZ400 suspension - last post by bmwpowere36m3

Compression & rebound DRZ400 suspension

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

$2000 for a decent DR-Z 400s...need a reality check!? by sbscale0309

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Need help diagnosing rough idle problem by richdiggins

• 18 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.