XR Countersprocket play

5 replies to this topic
  • azmanxman

Posted May 03, 2006 - 11:29 AM

I've just installed and new set of sprockets on my 95 XR600R and after installing the countersprocket I notice there is quite a bit of play on it on the shaft. (Not the shaft itself, it feels rock-solid).

I've bolted on the 'retaining plate' (not sure what it's really called) and I can wiggle the sprocket some. Is this normal? I thought about installing a spacer/washer between the sprocket and plate to take up the slack but not sure if that would work anyway.

I guess I don't understand why they would'nt use a big bolt you can torque down the sprocket with. This is way my old KLR650 used to be. Sure, it was a bit of a pain to loosen and remove, but you certainly knew that sucker was on there tight! Is Honda's method just so you can do quick countersprocket changes?

• gnfreak

Posted May 03, 2006 - 11:46 AM

just changed out the front sprocket to a 15 tooth on my 98 xr600 and noticed the same thing so i'm hoping that its normal. dont remember if it was like that with the old sprocket(14 tooth)....never thought to check. seems to run ok with the 15 tooth groovelite.

• TimBrp

Posted May 03, 2006 - 11:50 AM

The play is supposed to be there. Imagine if those tolerances were so tight and it didn't move. Our trusty XR's would have many broken countershafts w/out that slack.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ghoti

Posted May 03, 2006 - 12:18 PM

Sounds like your play in in and out which is normal, the retainer rides in a groove. If the play is ratating front to back it's not good, splines are wore out. I always check the groove and splines for wear just before slapping some grease on the shaft. :crazy:

• rmhrc630

Posted May 03, 2006 - 07:37 PM

It's normal guys.

Dont worry about it

• LotsOfBikes

Posted May 04, 2006 - 09:06 PM

I agree, totally normal.

Related Content

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  57 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  40 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.