6)go ride
enjoy it

• jocolo

Posted February 04, 2007 - 07:34 PM

On a serious note

If the bike is cold

Turn on gas
pull on choke
twist throttle two times , DO NOT TOUCH THROTTLE AGAIN!!
put foot on kicker and push until you come up against compression
pull compression release and move kicker about an inch
release compression release and return kicker to top of stroke and give it a SERIOUS kick

Should fire right up

If hot(like after a stall)
DO NOT TOUCH THROTTLE
Pull hot start
follow same procedure as above

If warmed up... try the same procedure without the hot start, most of the time mine fires right up.

It sounds complicated, but once you are used to it, it is second nature and takes much less time to do than it does to explain how to do it. All the trouble is worth it because these bikes rip!

But really buy the HOTCAMS

• grayracer513

Posted February 04, 2007 - 09:18 PM

Best way to start an 01-02 426 READ CAREFULLY
1)remove all plastics
2)remove the head
3)install a HOTCAMS
4)put everything back together
5) 1 kick
6)go ride
enjoy it

On a serious note, the removal of the head is not only NOT required to do an auto decompression update, it is in fact impossible to replace the cam with the head off the engine, since the head connot be installed with the cam in place.

• kevin nichols

Posted February 05, 2007 - 03:32 PM

i BOUGHT an 01 426 2 weeks ago and have only gotten it started twice since then. I have been reading on here for days about all the different starting techniques and she still wont fire. I'm guessing the plug is fouled by now? Do you really have to take the gas tank off to change a plug? :crook:

Ya, that's common on the 426. I run either an Iridium plug or a NGK "E" series. They have less tendency to foul.

• gdurfey

Posted February 05, 2007 - 03:50 PM

jocolo has it right according to the guy I just bought my '02 from. I go to bed at night repeating the procedure hoping that I never forget it..... And he proved it in sub freezing weather.

• jocolo

Posted February 05, 2007 - 04:11 PM

On a serious note, the removal of the head is not only NOT required to do an auto decompression update, it is in fact impossible to replace the cam with the head off the engine, since the head connot be installed with the cam in place.

HEAD COVER,,,,feel better now?:ride:

Drop a HOTCAM in there best $$$$ ever spent on my 426 starts everytime:applause:

• grayracer513

Posted February 05, 2007 - 04:14 PM

Yes, that's considerably better.

The OEM 450 cam is a lot better bang for the buck, though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gooseniple

Posted July 23, 2007 - 02:56 PM

would I need to get both intake and exhaust cam or can I just get the exhaust cam since that what has the automatic decompression.

• grayracer513

Posted July 23, 2007 - 03:34 PM

Only the exhaust cam is required. If using a Hot Cams product, theirs perform better when used in pairs, but the OEM YZ450 cam works very well on its own.

The Yamaha cam does require special timing, however:

http://www.thumperta...078#post3706078

• felix 222

Posted July 23, 2007 - 07:02 PM

step 1:

Use Tt's Search Feature.

• 426kid

Posted July 24, 2007 - 11:15 AM

i start at tdc then pull the decomp lever in aND GO DOWN INCH with the kicker no more then return to tdc and give it a nice through kick dont havta be hard just enough

• Dr.Wilson 154 ( . Y . )

Posted August 05, 2007 - 11:08 PM

buy cr8ek plug way better than stock, kick over till on compression stroke and it shouldnt move any more if it has good 426 compression, decompression just a tiny bit past tdc, brink kickstart back to top and kick over with no decompresion and should fire up

• deano0

Posted August 06, 2007 - 03:58 AM

Turn the gas on, kick the bike through with the compression release pulled 2-3 times. Let the kick return to the top and without the compression release pulled find TDC(the hard spot). Pull the compression release and push it one click past TDC(meaning down past the hard spot but only a little). Then let the kick start return to the top of its stroke and kick it HARD all the way down to the foot peg.

Don't play with the gas or anything while your trying to start it. Keep your hand on the master cylinder of the brake if your not sure you can kick it without twisting the throttle. If you already did, you'll need to pull the plug and replace it or wait till tomorrow.

follow this procedure, also on my yz426 if i hav trouble starting, hold dwn the de-comp leaver n kick it a few times. then repet the proceduer. i tend to find it helps to also ply with the hot start and cold start choke. jst dnt giv 2much gas, a blimp is more the enough otherwise u will be kicking for a long time. :) also get to knw ur bike, see what it likes n doesnt like.. and dnt give up.. lol

• Flamed1

Posted August 06, 2007 - 03:29 PM

Dont get frustrated - Sooo many of us have had the same challenge - it can be done! Used to be that none of my friends wanted to ride it cause they couldnt start it. I finally installed the new cam after hearing about others here and now it kicks like a too-smoke!

Cheers!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.