IS A YZ450f good 4 me???

13 replies to this topic
  • metalmulisha_2002

Posted May 03, 2006 - 02:37 AM

hey guys im 16 and i race A grade, i weigh 138LBS and im 5'10. i own a crf250r but i am sick of the valves constantly screwing up on me every few hours of riding! so i was wondering if i bought a 450f yamaha would i have any valve issues with it if i was high on maintenance and used quality oils? becasue im looking for a backdoor to get away from the crf moneypit woulod the yzf be right for me? please reply thnx fellas :crazy:

• renthal1

Posted May 03, 2006 - 02:45 AM

its a big bike man. your pretty light too. why not get a YZ250F?

• jeffboyd47m

Posted May 03, 2006 - 07:33 AM

Is A YZ450F good for you? No!

• grayracer513

Posted May 03, 2006 - 08:07 AM

An '06 YZ450 would probably be a great ride for you. The power is way big, but it comes out smoothly, and the new chassis makes the bike much easier to ride. I agree that the earlier models would very possibly be more than you would enjoy dealing with, but the new one feels 25 pounds lighter, and is just an absolute marvel to toss around. Except for the need to be more prudent with the throttle, it's as easy to ride as my old YZ250F.

As to reliability, it's a little difficult to be a prophet when there's been a change made to the engine, but the design differences are much more refinements than wholesale changes, and history tells you that the big YZF's are stones, pure and simple. My '03 has yet to need its first ever valve adjustment. If you take care of it, it will take care of you.

And....try to get over the Metal Mulisha thing. :crazy:

• Dano426

Posted May 03, 2006 - 08:08 AM

You will need to race a different class with a 450. Unless you winning every race on the CRF250F, you will get spanked on a 450F. Get a YZ250F

• grayracer513

Posted May 03, 2006 - 08:28 AM

Unless you winning every race on the CRF250F, you will get spanked on a 450F.

I don't think you know that. He just might need a bigger box to grow into. My 16 year-old is ready for it, and this kid's an A rider now.... :crazy:

• metalmulisha_2002

Posted May 03, 2006 - 10:59 PM

well im turning 17 so i want to get into opens and get racing in the harder class. by the way my friends dad let me ride his crf450r this morning and i found it just as easy to ride as my crf the only difference is that the throttle cant be held open EVERYWHERE like my crf250. but yeh the power is chronic and i feel itd be good to have a yamaha cos im sick of doin these valves. i also found out that 450s run 50 hp, well my crf has a procircuit stage 2 engine with a yoshi system and it powers 39.8bhp at the rear wheel so its only another 10 ponies to deal with and not 20hp difference which u see in a stock 250r so i dont think i have 2 much to worry about considering the new yzf has smooth delivery in power. oh yeh and by the way on practice events i do ride with the seniors and i dont get smashed its usually the other way around. thnx guys for the sweet advice

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JSanfilippo

Posted May 03, 2006 - 11:47 PM

Yeah get the 450.

• BergArabia

Posted May 04, 2006 - 03:21 AM

I am not a racer but I am just a little heavier than you, shorter and older and I find the YZ450 is great fun.. I have an 05 and I know you can get used to it..

• moochie

Posted May 04, 2006 - 04:26 AM

You will need to race a different class with a 450. Unless you winning every race on the CRF250F, you will get spanked on a 450F. Get a YZ250F

Not sure about tracks around you, but in my neck of the woods the talent is pretty comparable regardless if you're riding in the heavy or lite class. Guess I dont agree with your warning of getting "spanked" if he goes with the 450.

• whoops dude

Posted May 04, 2006 - 05:27 AM

I say go for it. I found out 450's aren't as mean as everyone makes them out to be.

• NOMADAK

Posted May 04, 2006 - 09:51 AM

Metalmullisha 2002,

A 15 yo local "A" rider here switched from his regular RM125 to a vet rider's KXF450F this past weekend. He did this so that he could ride the 250 class. BTW, He went 2/1 against some stiff competition, his first time competing on a full bore bike.

I asked him later about the transition... of course, not only was it from 2 to 4 stroke but from smaller displacement to full bore big bike. The size and weight of the bike had little if any bearing for him (he is a bit bigger than you) but the sheer amount/level of power/torque was admittedly extreme for him. The KXF has a stronger hit on the bottom than the YZF (both '06 450's). He had to "learn" quickly to leave the bike in 3rd for most of the course and not wring the heck out of it like he was doing a 125 or 250F (which he rode last season). It sounds obvious but more difficult to put into action that you might initially imagine. You have to use the torque and lug it around using the meat of the power. They can bite you hard if you don't. Things happen very quickly on a 450F when you turn the throttle to the stops!

You will do fine on one if you are a true A rider. The 06 YZ450F is a fine handling and very powerful machine.

• Dano426

Posted May 04, 2006 - 11:15 AM

Not sure about tracks around you, but in my neck of the woods the talent is pretty comparable regardless if you're riding in the heavy or lite class. Guess I dont agree with your warning of getting "spanked" if he goes with the 450.

I guess I should rephrase the spanked statement.

I have seen several good riders (15-16 yrs old) in the lite class get a a 250 (2-stroke) or 450 to go faster. They then race in a different class with for the most part better riders and then struggle. A bigger bike does not make you a faster or better rider.

• kid on a 426

Posted May 04, 2006 - 05:54 PM

Well what you said earlier about the horse power difference only being 10. Well that's a big difference but when your riding its the torque difference that really gets me when switching from my bro's bike to mine but I'm not sure about the 06's because of what everyone says about it being smooth but I know from experience that my 426 has a LOT more bark then my bro's 250f

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.