2003 WR450 Jetting puzzle

9 replies to this topic
  • Poway1464

Posted May 02, 2006 - 08:36 PM

This has been posted before and I have traded emails with Indy and JD. Still the confusion remains.
2003 WR450 with Pro Circuit 496 muffler, gray wire cut, YZ throttle, TPS disconnected. Started with 155/42/stock #4 and the bike had a mid range stutter when snapping throttle from 1/2 to full - roll on was fine

Followed recommendations and rejetted to:
168/42/ stock 4th = low throttle, low speed stutter / great midrange and WOT.
168/48/stock 4th = same (little worse) / great mid to WOT
168/45/ stock 4th = same
168/45/stock 3rd = still stutter
165/45/stock 3rd = same
170/45/JD blue #4 = worse
160/45/JD #4 = better but still not right

back to 155/42/ blue #4 = same as original.

I do not have a clue why this 2003 WR450 does not get the results that everyone else did with the 168/45/#4 jetting. :crazy:

Anyone experience this? Moded bike running better with closer to stock jetting?

• Matty05

Posted May 02, 2006 - 09:44 PM

Why are you changing the main jet when the needle is your problem?

Try the red needle #4 with 48 pilot and 168 main.

• pkcof

Posted May 02, 2006 - 10:01 PM

yeah, i tend to agree with Matty, it certainly points to the needle choice/position alright - but why disconnect the TPS ...?
secondly (and don't shoot me for being so blatantly obvious) a friend of mine disconnected the 'grey' wire on his '03 and it ran a lot like your's is sounding. It turned out the he disconnected the wrong wire (not exactly sure which one it was) - it still ran but similar to what you describe.
Try reconnecting the grey wire (and possibly the TPS) to eliminate these two as the possible culprits ...
i assume that your airbox has been opened up and you're using a 'twin-air' or similar filter also ?
just my 2c ... good luck

• Indy_WR450

Posted May 03, 2006 - 02:10 AM

When all else fails I would blame the pipe. Not all pipes are tuned the same way and some just cant be jetted right. Try and swap mufflers with a buddy or put the stocker back on uncorked and see if that solves your problem. :crazy:

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted May 03, 2006 - 02:58 AM

Why are you changing the main jet when the needle is your problem?

Try the red needle #4 with 48 pilot and 168 main.

that's exactly what I'm running and it runs excellent!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Poway1464

Posted May 03, 2006 - 06:38 AM

OK so everyone agrees that

I check the 'gray' wire mod and then

JD RED #4

Air box is open with UNI air filter. Temps are heading up, in the low 90s now, but this jetting, according to tables, should be ok up to 3500ft.
I don't have the stock muffler.

Good part is I sure have alot of practice taking off the carb plus have a lot of extra jets !

• bg10459

Posted May 03, 2006 - 07:29 AM

Temps are heading up, in the low 90s now...

Oh, there you go. Anything above 70 (tops) and you should be using the red needle.

• Poway1464

Posted May 05, 2006 - 05:54 AM

PKCOF gets the Gold Star. I double checked the Grey/Gray wire mod and lo&behold it was still connected. I had asked the previous owner just last week and he said 'Yes' it was taped off. But I could not find anything taped off except the TPS connectors I found earlier.

I will re-jet according to the 168/48/ Red #4. TPS connected.

I hope we will now have an answer for 1/4 throttle stutter.

Thanks Indy and JD for answering my PMs.

Larry

• PBDBLUE

Posted May 05, 2006 - 07:17 AM

PKCOF gets the Gold Star. I double checked the Grey/Gray wire mod and lo&behold it was still connected. I had asked the previous owner just last week and he said 'Yes' it was taped off. But I could not find anything taped off except the TPS connectors I found earlier.

I will re-jet according to the 168/48/ Red #4. TPS connected.

I hope we will now have an answer for 1/4 throttle stutter.

Thanks Indy and JD for answering my PMs.

Larry

I assume from your screen name that you live in Poway and are jetting for the local desert? If so a 168 main and a 48 pilot should be in the ballpark. I run either the blue needle on clip #3 or the red needle on clip #4. My '03 runs very clean with a blue #3 setting. The '04 has a YZ cam in it and that seems to make it a little more difficult to clean up the bottom so I generally run the red #4 setup on that bike. Generally if you have a stutter at 1/4 throttle it's because the mixture is too rich at the needle/pilot transition. Try leaning the pilot slightly and/or dropping the needle 1 clip. Oh yeah and ditch the stock needle!

• pkcof

Posted May 05, 2006 - 05:02 PM

hey Poway1464, glad that i was at least able to point you in the right direction (and my first 'gold star') - i have had quite a bit of help and feedback since i have joined TT and i have been able to fine tune my 450 to get it running just the way that i like ...
forums like this one are a bonus for us all !

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.