'06 12 tooth sprocket fit?

12 replies to this topic
  • xcape

Posted May 02, 2006 - 05:21 PM

Anyone run a 12 tooth front? does it fit right? Is there abnormal wear on swingarm guard?

I rode tight trails last weekend for the first time and the gearing is crazy tall. My buddies bike was in second gear and I was having to pull in the clutch in first so as not to run into him.

I DON'T WANT HAVE A RECLUSE DISCUSSION :crazy:
I dont have the cash nor do I mind operating a clutch thanx.

I was thinking of 12 / 51 ? Then run a 13 (stock) on the track.

• motobark

Posted May 02, 2006 - 07:25 PM

Sounds like you need to pass your buddy so you can ride faster. :crazy:

Seriously, I wouldn't use a 12, the 13 is hard enough on the front chain slider. I ran a 15 on my '03 and I'm planning on going to a 14 on my '06. The smaller cs sprockets are not only harder on the slider, they're harder on the chain and sprocket itself too.

A thought on the clutch issue, don't be afraid to use it. I've seen some comments on here about not using the clutch, I don't agree with the only using the clutch for starting and stopping theory. The clutch is a powerful tool, I think a lot of riders don't use it enough. Even on a 4 stroke. I use mine constantly, and I don't mean abuse either, my clutches usually last at least 2 years. I use it to come out of turns faster, go into turns faster, and a quick jab before jumping will help you jump further if you have to clear something. (That's actually why I personally don't like Recluse clutches.)

Sorry, the clutch comments weren't meant for you directly, more of a general comment to the TT community. I didn't mean you specifically didn't use the clutch enough, your comment about using it just made me think about what others had said on the subject.

Hey, did I just hijack a thread?:ride:

• xcape

Posted May 02, 2006 - 07:33 PM

Yep, doing allot of clutch work up tight/steep climbs. But would be nice on the twisty low speed stuff not to have to coast all the time. Couldn't pass my buddy if I wanted to way better rider than me on the trails.

Guess I'll be changing the rear sprocket then I'll order a 52 for the trail and switch back to stock for the track.

What is the biggest rear you can run?

• kxman

Posted May 03, 2006 - 03:44 AM

I am running a 12 on my 06. It helps a lot in the tight stuff

• xcape

Posted May 03, 2006 - 04:08 AM

I am running a 12 on my 06. It helps a lot in the tight stuff

have you noticed any unusual wear? how long have you used a 12 toooth?

• kxman

Posted May 03, 2006 - 05:01 AM

Not yet but i only have 5 hours on it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jgerdi

Posted May 03, 2006 - 01:08 PM

I just ran a hare scramble here in Florida. Bumped up to 'A' class to Gage my new found speed on my 06 LE. I went with a 12 tooth . the difference is when my buddies, experienced A riders ,were stalling there 450's because the gearing was too tall for the tight stuff, I was cutting through the trees like mad. I did loose Little top end but 95% of the ride is 1st 2nd almost never 3rd gear.
I will be switching back to the 13 tooth for tomorrows motocross ride at countyline in panama city. 100' table ,long straights, clay with a little sand...I'm gettin a chubby already. I am going to leave the 110' double table alone.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted May 03, 2006 - 09:11 PM

I have a 12-52 on my 06. I love it. She is a woods weapon, too bad I am not. :ride: Slider wear is increased but so is my fun factor so I really dont care. :crazy: Sliders are replaceable. I had the 12T on my WR for almost a year with no problems either.

• One Louder

Posted May 03, 2006 - 09:19 PM

what's easier on the motor: a small front sprocket or a big rear sprocket? :crazy:

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted May 04, 2006 - 05:18 PM

Seriously, I wouldn't use a 12, the 13 is hard enough on the front chain slider.

Ditto....

• kxman

Posted May 04, 2006 - 08:48 PM

If it wears out the slider I will just buy another. Not a big deal.

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted May 05, 2006 - 09:33 AM

Aside from eating your chain slider - A front sprocket with fewer teeth works the chain harder and will rob power - The chain has to curl more to match the smaller diameter. Also harder/more torque on your countershaft - Possibly resulting in a ruined seal or at extreme, a bent countershaft.

I would maybe goto a 13 tooth and/or add more teeth in the rear - No way I would ever run a 12 tooth...especailly on a new 06.

Just my .02

• kxman

Posted May 05, 2006 - 09:40 AM

Aside from eating your chain slider - A front sprocket with fewer teeth works the chain harder and will rob power - The chain has to curl more to match the smaller diameter. Also harder/more torque on your countershaft - Possibly resulting in a ruined seal or at extreme, a bent countershaft.

I would maybe goto a 13 tooth and/or add more teeth in the rear - No way I would ever run a 12 tooth...especailly on a new 06.

Just my .02

This ever been proven on a dyno? All I know is my bike works much better for me with a 12 tooth. My bike, I set it up the way I like it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.