Anyone Using DexCool Antifreeze in their bikes

5 replies to this topic
  • MountainMax

Posted May 02, 2006 - 05:12 PM

It has been used by Cat for years, and GM, i'ts specially formulated to bond to aluminum and long lasting, but I have yet to see a snowmobile or bike using it? any ideas pros or cons about it?

• 06WR450FSM

Posted May 02, 2006 - 07:42 PM

Its not compatible with other coolants (turns into sludge). You would have to do a very thorough flush first. I know of no real advantage of using DexCool, do you?

Prestone makes a universally compatible coolant.

Also, higher precentages of coolant versus water actually reduce cooling capacity. Unless you plan to leave your bike out in really cold weather, it may run cooler at something like a 30/70 coolant/water mix. Redline's website may explain in more detail. As I recall (and its been awhile), its the motivation of using their WaterWetter with little or no coolant (kepp your bike above 32F).

You might want to do some research. Try this forum (12500 members):

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted May 03, 2006 - 07:08 AM

The one disadvantage that I know of is that you cannot mix it with anything but distilled water. Regular water mix also turns to sludge.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matt96xr6

Posted May 03, 2006 - 07:28 AM

I have used the prestone dexcool on all my bikes. drain and fill. no problems. And yes the 06 bike has been down 4 times in 12 rides. Dont ask, part supply issues with the race motor.

The advantage to the dexcool is that it contains no silicates. Thus you dont have deposits on the seals that can cause damage to them.

I use to dump a bottle of redline than top off with dexcool, but running straight dexcool works fine. no heating issues at all.

• MotoGoalie

Posted May 03, 2006 - 07:47 AM

I just finished this little experiment after having chronic overheating issues do to my riding areas and habits.

My formula works perfectly for me. YMMV.

• MountainMax

Posted May 03, 2006 - 02:50 PM

Thanks for the responses guys.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.