wr vs exc

6 replies to this topic
  • penney7

Posted May 02, 2006 - 01:00 PM

well i already posted a topic about 250vs 450 but i think im going with a 450, so know i notieced that the ktm seems to be a realy nice bike, can you guys tell the main differences between the ktm 450exc and the yamaha wr450. the onyl i reason im considering ktm is the dealer has one in stock.

• JSanfilippo

Posted May 02, 2006 - 02:39 PM

The WR 450f motor is better above 6K rpm, the 450EXC motor is better below 6k rpm

• odonnks

Posted May 02, 2006 - 04:16 PM

KTM's are good bikes, I bellieve their engine maint is more than a yamaha.
I had one a few bikes ago and liked it a bunch. Parts and accessories were a litttle harder to come by. I love the WR.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jerryls

Posted May 02, 2006 - 09:57 PM

I love my WR, but the '06 450 EXC is a sweet bike. Go to ktmtalk.com and see what they have to say about it.

Jerry

• Matty05

Posted May 02, 2006 - 10:17 PM

well i already posted a topic about 250vs 450 but i think im going with a 450, so know i notieced that the ktm seems to be a realy nice bike, can you guys tell the main differences between the ktm 450exc and the yamaha wr450. the onyl i reason im considering ktm is the dealer has one in stock.

Why get a 450exc when you can get a 525exc? :crazy:
The EXC's are probably a better bike than the WR's, I for one was soooo close to getting 2 ktm's instead of 2 Yamaha's. The reason I didn't is because the KTM 250exc is a crap bike, but that should change next year with the new engine.

I would wait till next model comes out, the EXC's basically got new graphics this year and are due for a revamp. They are supposed to have a new world beating engine for the 450, but I don't know if the exc will get it.

Bottom line is you won't be disapointed with either bike.

• simon@vic

Posted May 02, 2006 - 11:14 PM

Yamaha has a shimmed 5 valve head that is the best out there. the performance and reliability are hard to beat. but.....

the 400/450/525 exc have a real wide ratio 6 speed trans. and a nice hydraulic clutch.

i love my wr450 but my next bush endruo will be an exc.

• OneToGo

Posted May 03, 2006 - 06:00 AM

Yamaha has a shimmed 5 valve head that is the best out there. the performance and reliability are hard to beat. but.....

the 400/450/525 exc have a real wide ratio 6 speed trans. and a nice hydraulic clutch.

i love my wr450 but my next bush endruo will be an exc.

Like wise. This WR is my first thumper after many 2 strokes. I'm certainly not disappointed with the motor at all. But, I would prefer the "feel" of a lighter bike - the kTM delivers there.
Like suggested, the new 07 KTMs are in for a revamp, DOHC? - probably for the SX/XC USA market though. I reckon a few minor frame and Engine mods will make the EXC far ahead of next years WR/CRFs (IMHO).
I was so close to getting a 06 EXC, just the extra cost and dealer (lack of support) swung it along with the WR reliability. Hey, that counts for a lot - not really that close at all :crazy:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.