Any good cures for the XR650R "push"??

24 replies to this topic
  • weskc35k

Posted May 10, 2006 - 06:06 PM

Have just been for a quick spin,i took a screwdriver and a 12mm ring spanner and messed with stuff.
Before this ride i had revalved the suspension .48 front and a stock rear spring,i left it stock because it was in the correct ranges IE race sag and free sag.
Just before this ride i put an Eibach 11kg(red) in it everything was better but not great.faster but same issues.
I did as BWB680 suggested 5 mm up through the fork and also turned my Jimmy Button Rennies forward a bit,what an amazing change riding, went from good fun to yahoo fast.
Am having a quick feed and off again.

• motochris

Posted May 10, 2006 - 08:00 PM

Got the D952, also installed an RTT damper on the bike. Strangly enough, the upper clamps actually make you raise the forks 5mm just to get them flush. So I'll be trying the new tire and the 5mm up together. I'll let ya know what happens in a week or so.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtraveller

Posted May 11, 2006 - 09:47 PM

I was running a Scorpion on the front of my 650, and I found myself losing the front end on slippery fire road corners. The 650 rake tends to make it push some, but a good tire will help your confidence. I put on a new set of 952's and the thing works so much better. There is still some push in the corners but it's predictable. It's a confidence thing. If you feel your front end going away from you, you get skiddish. You slow down a tad, ie back off the throttle, which weights the front end in turns, causing a vicious cycle (no pun intended). Riding with some fast company, I noticed that being on the gas through the turn, lifts the front wheel, making it less of an issue. The turning is done through leaning, while on the rear wheel. That is the art of it all, with practice, comes skill and confidence. A good set of 952 sneakers will help loads.

• KASUYAHO

Posted May 14, 2006 - 01:59 AM

What they do over here is extend the length of the rear shock, over here we extend the rear shock and we guys put in a CR500 read shock.
Raising the rear increases the rake angle which makes them turn better, XR650R is a slow steering bike, its made that way for a reason.
Raising the rear is the next step you can do, don't think that by decreasing the sag is going to do the same thing.
Had it done to mine and it makes a bit difference, mine out corners 450's now, no front push at all.

• BWB63

Posted May 14, 2006 - 06:48 AM

I was running a Scorpion on the front of my 650, and I found myself losing the front end on slippery fire road corners. The 650 rake tends to make it push some, but a good tire will help your confidence. I put on a new set of 952's and the thing works so much better. There is still some push in the corners but it's predictable. It's a confidence thing. If you feel your front end going away from you, you get skiddish. You slow down a tad, ie back off the throttle, which weights the front end in turns, causing a vicious cycle (no pun intended). Riding with some fast company, I noticed that being on the gas through the turn, lifts the front wheel, making it less of an issue. The turning is done through leaning, while on the rear wheel. That is the art of it all, with practice, comes skill and confidence. A good set of 952 sneakers will help loads.

There are two different Pirelli Scorpion cross tires. The MT410 and MT450. They are both made with aggressive knobbies. The most popular is the harder rubber, longer lasting MT410 but, it doesn't grip very well and the MT450 grips real well "Like glue" but, wears real fast. Both are DOT tires.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.