Thinking of getting rid of the 01' 426 for a 450

3 replies to this topic
  • david857

Posted May 02, 2006 - 07:17 AM

I was just wondering what year the Yamaha went to an aluminum frame and if it would make that big of a difference. I am 5ft. 10in. and weight 185 and work out all the time but the 426 just seems to be to much of a terd in terms of weight on the track. I love the bike in the woods but if anybody went from one of these to the new Yamaha could you please tell me if it's really worth spending the money?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

• chrisn6104

Posted May 02, 2006 - 07:43 AM

Yamaha went to tha aluminum frame on the 06 bike. As for the rest I dont know.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tl1000rider

Posted May 02, 2006 - 07:54 AM

I recently upgraded from a '01 426 to the '06 450 (YZ of course).

Personally I think it was well worth it. If for nothing else, the suspension. Maybe I never had the suspension setup correctly on my 426 - but there is a world of difference on my new bike. When things get squirrel-ly the 450 almost seems to want to bounce back under me. Several times I've made saves that I know I would have been eating dirt on my 426.

Other then that the new bike does feel lighter in the air on jumps (maybe just a mental thing - I don't know). The power delivery is much smoother. The clutch takes about 1/2 the pressure. Starts so much easier (just a new bike thing I'm sure).

Although - I can't really say it's made me any faster (certianly not slower either)

Bottom line - worth it in my opinion, technology has advanced in the last 5 years.

• adamdf

Posted May 02, 2006 - 08:37 AM

Are you kidding? There has been soo much changes and improvements between the 01 and 06 models. I haven't ridden the 06 but i can garuntee that its a much nicer bike and easier to corner than the older models. I actually owned a 99' yzf400 and let me tell you, that thing was a big piece of dead weight compared to my 2003 CRF450, since then i have decided to hold back on the 450s and went back to a 2004 RM250 (which to me was better than the 03crf on tight mx tracks) and now recently i am on a 06 YZ250F and its a really well handling bike. The 450F is said to handle similarly to the 250F if not better, i am even thinking of getting a second bike for mx and the YZ450 could be it.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.