650r highway gearing, speedo cable?

7 replies to this topic
  • drzoomn

Posted May 02, 2006 - 01:18 AM

hey all,

anyone have some sprocket sizes they recommend for long haul highway riding on an xr650r? need to cruise 70-75 without being at WOT.

also anyone in the denver area, or anywhere else have a speedo cable they want to get rid of?

drzoomn...about to get xrroomn'ed

• XR_mad

Posted May 02, 2006 - 01:59 AM

stock gearing should be more than sufficient from what ive heard itll do 180km/h on stock gearing not sure what that is in miles though had mine going on a backroad at 140km/h had to back off though, and that was in 4th

• TimBrp

Posted May 02, 2006 - 02:51 AM

14/48(Stock) will do but 15/48 would be better.

• XR_mad

Posted May 02, 2006 - 03:17 AM

ah and also welcome to the 650 forum :crazy: you will enjoy your stay aslong as you dont diss the 650 hehehe

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • drzoomn

Posted May 02, 2006 - 10:05 AM

cool, 15 sounds good.

thanks for the welcome, no worries from me on xr dissing. i love thumpers in all shapes and forms. any XR is better than a cruiser right? =)

my drz is more my weekend toy and money pit, and i was riding a triumph tiger as my commuter. but now we have decided to move to hawaii so i don't need a big bike anymore. so i sold the tiger and i chose the 650r because i wanted as much stock HP as possible since i plan to convert the bike into a side car rig.

anyway, i'll be lurking around and occasionally asking the same questions that have already been asked 3000 times because i'm to lazy to search :crazy:

wish me luck on my 1300 mile ride home on the xr!

• captb

Posted May 02, 2006 - 01:12 PM

I have 15/45 and it's ok at 75 but I will probably go to 15/43 next time. I think the stock gearing on Aussie models is 15/41 but I think that would be too tall.

• jond8

Posted May 15, 2006 - 11:41 AM

At 70mph with stock gearing/wheels-tires the motor is turning ~6000RPM... believe me, you don't want to sit on that for 1300 miles. Not to mention that it can't be good for the motor. The Aussie XR650R's are sold as dualsports and this is why Honda jacked the gearing up. In my experience anything over 4000RMP is uncomfortable for long road trips on the BRP. I would go with a 15/41 if you anticipate long road tours.

• Newxrowner

Posted May 15, 2006 - 11:56 AM

He's going to Hawaii - there's no such thing as long Road Tours! :ride:

Related Content

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.