Keihin FCR41 for XR650R

6 replies to this topic
  • HawkGT

Posted May 01, 2006 - 11:16 PM

How come I hear folks talk about the Mikuni TM40 and Edelbrock Quicksilver carb for the 650R but few ever mention the Keihin FCR41? Sudco sells a kit. I'm familiar with FCRs and since all my bikes run Keihins all my jets are Keihins. Plus, I've always liked Keihin products.

Why would I want a Mikuni or Edelbrock over the Keihin? Lets ignore the fact that the Keihin is the most expensive--if I'm gonna throw down $400 for a carb anyway, I wouldn't let an extra $200 limit my options.

BTW, if it matters I'm stock (uncorked, of course) except for Moriwaki headers and spark arrested silencer. I'm thinking about a HC stg 1 cam (I wanna see dyno charts!) maybe soon and perhaps some mild porting down the road. I doubt I'll ever go to a higher compression piston [shrug].

thanks for your input :crazy:

• weskc35k

Posted May 02, 2006 - 12:18 AM

The fcr thing sounds good to me.
Stage 1 cam,high comp piston,FCR carb and some sound.
Sounds kinda funky.
Just do it.

And of course let us know.

• qadsan

Posted May 02, 2006 - 12:57 PM

Too bad the 650R didn't come stock with a FCR :ride:

Some of the reasons I went with an Edelbrock kit back in 2001 was due to price, availability, hearing good reports from a fellow rider, wanting to try something new and I liked the tech info that I read about the carb, etc. Turns out I've been quite happy with the Edelbrock for a number of years now. Like all things, it's a compromise, but the Edelbrock has some nice things about its design. It features a clean ventiri design when compared to other carbs. The needle is precision back-cut (no wiggles like a round needle) unlike other carbs and is super easy to adjust. The main adjustment is done externally and so is the pump shot, so there's no need to take your carb apart for most tuning changes, which is really nice if you ride at varying altitudes like we do. It's internal fuel cell design works better than any carb on the market in my opinion. Take any YZF, WRF, KTM, CRF, etc, with an FCR and lay it down good and it will sometimes flood and start pissing fuel out the vent lines, etc. Sure youv'e got a hot start button or lever which is nothing more than a controlled air leak to help get your bike fired up again, but how many times have you seen the pros in major races kicking over their bikes numerous times just to get it started after they've gone down. This is not an issue with the design of the Edelbrock and the bike is quick to start after a fall. In fact, you can take a 650R with an Edelbrock carb and manually lay it down on its side and it will still keep running whether you let it idle or work the throttle. It doesn't matter if you've cartwheeled your bike or dumped it off a drop off because it will start right up again within a kick or two. Another interesting thing about the Edelbrock is that the accelerator pump only squirts fuel when you twist the throttle quickly, otherwise it returns the fuel from the pump to the bowl if you turn the throttle slowly. All the other carbs used to have their AP's squirt every single time you twisted the throttle no matter what, but the FCR has finally incorporated a leak jet design into their carbs as of a few years ago and now it also returns fuel to the bowl if you twist the throttle slowly, but not all FCR's do this.

A more ideal carb in my opinion would be an FCR combined with the Edelbrock fuel cell design and more external adjustability, but it's probably not going to happen with FI around the corner.

There's a great deal of people out there that have no idea how to setup / tune carbs and the Edelbrock is definitely the easiest carb to setup and tune. It's a complete bolt on kit with new throttle cables, new throttle tube, extra needles, etc. The Mikuni and FCR's are considerably more difficult to properly tune, but the FCR is going to give you the performance edge over the other carbs once it's properly tuned. It fitment wasn't such an issue from what I read about and from talking with somebody who tried to install one back in late 2001, I probably would have gone the FCR route, but I knew I was going to be installing an aftermarket tank and that may have made the fitment issues better or worse, but I knew the Edelbrock fit just fine after seeing it first hand and trying it out on another persons bike and that helped to close the deal for me. Besides, I like the fact that the Edelbrock is designed and made in the USA :crazy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gnarly sprockets

Posted May 02, 2006 - 04:13 PM

Too bad the 650R didn't come stock with a FCR :ride:

Some of the reasons I went with an Edelbrock kit back in 2001 was due to price, availability, hearing good reports from a fellow rider, wanting to try something new and I liked the tech info that I read about the carb, etc. Turns out I've been quite happy with the Edelbrock for a number of years now. Like all things, it's a compromise, but the Edelbrock has some nice things about its design. It features a clean ventiri design when compared to other carbs. The needle is precision back-cut (no wiggles like a round needle) unlike other carbs and is super easy to adjust. The main adjustment is done externally and so is the pump shot, so there's no need to take your carb apart for most tuning changes, which is really nice if you ride at varying altitudes like we do. It's internal fuel cell design works better than any carb on the market in my opinion. Take any YZF, WRF, KTM, CRF, etc, with an FCR and lay it down good and it will sometimes flood and start pissing fuel out the vent lines, etc. Sure youv'e got a hot start button or lever which is nothing more than a controlled air leak to help get your bike fired up again, but how many times have you seen the pros in major races kicking over their bikes numerous times just to get it started after they've gone down. This is not an issue with the design of the Edelbrock and the bike is quick to start after a fall. In fact, you can take a 650R with an Edelbrock carb and manually lay it down on its side and it will still keep running whether you let it idle or work the throttle. It doesn't matter if you've cartwheeled your bike or dumped it off a drop off because it will start right up again within a kick or two. Another interesting thing about the Edelbrock is that the accelerator pump only squirts fuel when you twist the throttle quickly, otherwise it returns the fuel from the pump to the bowl if you turn the throttle slowly. All the other carbs used to have their AP's squirt every single time you twisted the throttle no matter what, but the FCR has finally incorporated a leak jet design into their carbs as of a few years ago and now it also returns fuel to the bowl if you twist the throttle slowly, but not all FCR's do this.

A more ideal carb in my opinion would be an FCR combined with the Edelbrock fuel cell design and more external adjustability, but it's probably not going to happen with FI around the corner.

There's a great deal of people out there that have no idea how to setup / tune carbs and the Edelbrock is definitely the easiest carb to setup and tune. It's a complete bolt on kit with new throttle cables, new throttle tube, extra needles, etc. The Mikuni and FCR's are considerably more difficult to properly tune, but the FCR is going to give you the performance edge over the other carbs once it's properly tuned. It fitment wasn't such an issue from what I read about and from talking with somebody who tried to install one back in late 2001, I probably would have gone the FCR route, but I knew I was going to be installing an aftermarket tank and that may have made the fitment issues better or worse, but I knew the Edelbrock fit just fine after seeing it first hand and trying it out on another persons bike and that helped to close the deal for me. Besides, I like the fact that the Edelbrock is designed and made in the USA :crazy:

This is the best and most concise explanation of the workings of the Edelbrock carb I've ever read. Until now I thought using this carb wasn't really worth the money. Now I'm going to buy one. Thanks!

• weskc35k

Posted May 02, 2006 - 05:27 PM

Why is the FCR so expensive it's stock on almost everything in the dirt ,that should of lowered the price through volume.

• qadsan

Posted May 02, 2006 - 05:57 PM

You think the Honda FCR's are expensive, try pricing a FCR for a 2002 Yamaha WR426F. Yamaha PN# Y5NG-14101-50-00. The price for just this carb by itself is $988 :crazy:

They price it that way because they can. There's a HUGE markup on many of these parts!

• weskc35k

Posted May 02, 2006 - 06:15 PM

Here in Australia in the late 90's a lot of guys my age got back into dirt bikes having either grown up kids or mortgages in check or whatever,and to me it looked like the market followed the trend,not so much the price of bikes but it was the aftermarket stuff that went crazy everything went up.
You are right they can so they do.
The FCR's you are right there is a lot of "adjustments" that can be dialled in or out so to speak.
I jet most of my mates bikes when they are in trouble,but how come they leave and the bike is running great only for them to bring it back sooner or later running like shit with some minor "changes",same with their mongrel v8's too now that i think of it especially all the external stuff they can tinker with never seems to be where ya left it.
Sorry this is a pet peave .

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.