Dirt In Float Bowl Drain Plug

12 replies to this topic
  • COZA

Posted May 01, 2006 - 09:03 PM

MATE OF MINE IS GETTING DIRT. DUST AND SMALL SAND GRAINS IN THE DRAIN PLUG NUT AT BOTTOM OF CARBY. wHEN WE REMOVE IT THE BOTTOM IS FULL.
CANT WORK OUT HOW IT IS GETTING IN ANY IDEAS??

• pkcof

Posted May 01, 2006 - 09:19 PM

my guess is either contaminated fuel (does it come from a jerry can?) or possibly a suspect pump ? - possibly even a bad connection between the air-box and the carby - does he clean and oil his filter regularly? Has he dumped it (or drowned it) recently? A lot of guys also cut-in a fuel filter between the tank and the carby just for some added protection - it may well be worth his while to do this at least in the short term until the problem has been identified ...

• COZA

Posted May 01, 2006 - 09:35 PM

CLEAN FILTER EVERY RIDE. NEVER DROWNED BIKE. RUNS A FILTER IN THE FUEL LINE CURRENTLY. OTHER THAN THAT HIS 05 WR450 IS BOX STOCK. PERFORMANCE DOESN'T SEEM TO BE AFFECTED. jUST WORRYING TO SEE THAT MUCH GRAINY DIRT IN A CARB.???

• tarry

Posted May 02, 2006 - 06:38 AM

MATE OF MINE IS GETTING DIRT. DUST AND SMALL SAND GRAINS IN THE DRAIN PLUG NUT AT BOTTOM OF CARBY. wHEN WE REMOVE IT THE BOTTOM IS FULL.
CANT WORK OUT HOW IT IS GETTING IN ANY IDEAS??

Make sure the boot between the airbox and the carb. is tight! That sounds like the culprit but it could also be the air filter not seating good. Slap a inline filter on it after checking these items and if you are still getting debris then it is in your fuel/cans. :crazy:

• kavorka426

Posted June 28, 2006 - 12:38 AM

I have had the same issue for a couple of months now. :bonk:
I have silt and small particles in the carby bowl drain nut.
I clean it and it runs fine for about 30 minutes then splutters, sure enough, the drain nut has dirt in it again.
I have had a mate (part time bike mechanic) tearing his hair out so far.
I have tried the following:
1. Put in aftermarket fuel filter
2. New air filter
3. Used only fuel from pump
4. Cleaned tank, and checked filter
5. Sealed air filter, airbox, carby inlets.
6. Checked for cracks in the carby breather hoses.

I am going riding this weekend, and will be sticking the carby breather hoses in some lightly oiled foam to act as a fliter to see if the dirt is getting in the hoses.
Maybe there is a vacuum created which is sucking dirt up the breater hose, but I don't understand what would cause this.
Hopefully someone can come to the rescue as I'm sure my bore is not appreciating the abuse! :excuseme:
Cheers

• JCORMI

Posted June 28, 2006 - 04:43 AM

CLEAN FILTER EVERY RIDE. NEVER DROWNED BIKE. RUNS A FILTER IN THE FUEL LINE CURRENTLY. OTHER THAN THAT HIS 05 WR450 IS BOX STOCK. PERFORMANCE DOESN'T SEEM TO BE AFFECTED. jUST WORRYING TO SEE THAT MUCH GRAINY DIRT IN A CARB.???

Hit your "caps lock" key.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SUnruh

Posted June 28, 2006 - 07:07 AM

coza,
it comes in via the air vent tubes. it has done this since '98 on the 4xxF bikes and '01 on the 250F (ie day 1).
just clean the drain plug occasionally.

• Dodjy

Posted June 28, 2006 - 12:56 PM

Yep, as above, it'd be getting in through the breather tubes. Also dirt around the bottom nut can sneak in when you undo it.

• DirtyDude

Posted February 08, 2008 - 12:30 PM

coza,
it comes in via the air vent tubes. it has done this since '98 on the 4xxF bikes and '01 on the 250F (ie day 1).
just clean the drain plug occasionally.

I have this same nerve-wracking issue with my 04 WR450!! It never did it for all these years, then just within the last 6 months it has happened twice and caused my bike to cut out in the whoops. JD said that same thing about dirt coming in the carb vent lines. I was going to make little filters for them just in case. I find it hard to believe that these lines see enough of a vacuum to suck granules nearly a foot. However, where they slit the lines on the bottom, the front part of one of my lines under the bike got torn off, so that the bottom 1.5" of the line just has a back portion. Maybe this is acting like a catcher's glove and enabling sand to blow in more easily? I'm going to check it all over this weekend and make sure the airbox is tight. I also have an in-line fuel filter and grease the heck out of my air filters, of which I use nice UNI's, nearly new, generously oiled with air filter oil. By the way, if sand did somehow get sucked into the air intake, can it make it's way into the bottom of the float bowl? :busted:

• DirtyDude

Posted February 11, 2008 - 09:04 AM

That seems like a nice one, albeit a bit pricey. Here's a guy that sells another solution for $20. Plus his site has a lot of little hard-to-find things.

http://www.*********...dcarburetor.htm

Let's hope this keeps sand out of my carb!! Will post my results!

• DirtyDude

Posted February 11, 2008 - 09:07 AM

I guess they kill direct weblinks now. It's KevinsCycleRacing dot com. Click on the "Carb and Intake" link on the left.. nice little carb vent line kit.

• matt4x4

Posted February 11, 2008 - 09:41 AM

Another thing you might want to check is that your pickup tube on the petcock didn't come off and is now floating in your tank - happened to me and will allow any debris that would normally stay in the tank to get down the fuel line.

• Edleftat80

Posted February 11, 2008 - 12:35 PM

My boys bike had a problem like that also. The fuel lines from the tank to the carb were turning gooey. I replaced the fuel lines, installed a inline filter, and cleaned the carb out. The problem has not been back.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.