How Red Does Your Pipe Get?

8 replies to this topic
  • Numskull

Posted May 01, 2006 - 06:30 PM

Im just wondering if your pipe glows :crazy: How does it make you feel?

How much does it glow?

Do the newer bikes glow too?

Just something about a glowing pipe that bothers me. I need to get over it :ride:

• Seabass

Posted May 01, 2006 - 06:47 PM

At night time it glows bright red, during the daytime ya don't even notice it!!!

• rich1167

Posted May 01, 2006 - 06:53 PM

My sons 250F glowed bright red when we got it home. I mean it would start glowing right away at idle. It was lean on the pilot circuit. After adjusting it still glowed a little if you let it sit and idle for extended periods. I think this is normal.

• Yamaster

Posted May 01, 2006 - 07:35 PM

There is nothing to worry about, all of our bikes glow. If it glows a really far distance from the head, then you might be a little lean.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dl19

Posted May 01, 2006 - 09:40 PM

Mine glowed red like crazy until I re-jetted it. Some think it is normal, but I think it shows the bike is lean. It will glow red while idling for a few inches, but much past that I would consider jetting it richer.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted May 02, 2006 - 09:42 AM

OH MY GAWD, my pipe never glows red. Something must be wrong. Of the 10 billion posts about this, I have never heard of a pipe glowing red. :crazy:

I need to get over it

Yes, please do. :ride:

• GCannon

Posted May 02, 2006 - 12:32 PM

Uncorking the pipe and letting more of those hot gases out will also lower the head pipe temp.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 02, 2006 - 04:02 PM

Mine did that when I was screwing around with the carb. Low mixture, high idle. That caused my red pipe.

With my carb properly jetted and tuned and sufficient air flow, it stopped glowing.

• MountainMax

Posted May 02, 2006 - 05:08 PM

I agree if it's glowing it must be running lean somewhere, and I think it should be fixed.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.