XR650R Wheel Bearing Removal Tips

8 replies to this topic
  • jond8

Posted May 01, 2006 - 02:46 PM

I am gearing up to replace the seized wheel bearings in my pigs rear hub... found this little gem somewhere floating in the online:

http://www.vjmc.org/...ps/bearings.htm

:crazy:

Cheers,

Jon

• motomonte

Posted May 01, 2006 - 02:52 PM

The concept sounds good,it should do the same job as an expanding collet that is used for that very same job. :crazy:

• jond8

Posted May 01, 2006 - 03:09 PM

where can we find this expanding mandrel? Is is the 85$ jobby that Honda sells?

• motomonte

Posted May 01, 2006 - 03:23 PM

You should try a hardware store where they sell drills taps and shop equipment,they usually come as sets of different sizes tough you could get them individually,most surelly they will cost less than a factory (honda) unit.If you cant find it locally try McMaster Carr or Grainger.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted May 01, 2006 - 03:59 PM

That's a great tip!

I've banged out wheel bearings plenty of times with a sharp edged drift, but it got to the point where I needed a better solution, so I bought some pilot bearing pullers and modified them to fit various bearing applications for quick and simple removal. I modified my pilot bearing puller to work with a slide hammer (turning it into a 'Blind Bearing Puller'), so it's simply a matter of getting the jaws locked onto the inside edges of the bearing and giving it a few whacks with the slide and out they come :crazy:

• jond8

Posted May 01, 2006 - 04:01 PM

another good one:

http://www.4strokes....osse/wbremover/

• motomonte

Posted May 01, 2006 - 05:29 PM

another good one:

http://www.4strokes....osse/wbremover/

thats what im talkin about, see the price?way cheaper waaaay easier,it pays for itself the first time you use it. :crazy:

• jond8

Posted May 03, 2006 - 10:23 AM

Well, finally got my bearings out... had to weld a piece of rod to the large bearing and use a press to get it out.. it was galled/rusted into place... Then I was able to reach through and press out the small bearing

Anybody have an opinion on not re-installing that damn sleeve between the bearings? Seems like this might make the next bearing replacement much easier....

• motomonte

Posted May 04, 2006 - 04:28 AM

Jond that sleeve acts as a spacer to keep the bearings from moving inwards when you tighten your wheels,it also prevents them from being crushed by the torque.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.