Grabby clutch on 06 450F

8 replies to this topic
  • cowboyona426

Posted May 01, 2006 - 10:52 AM

Has anyone else had this problem with their 06? I don't notice it at speed, but when trying to take off the clutch is very grabby and lets out a groan, very similar to my old 426 before I did the 01 clutch mod. I plan on talking with my dealer about it tomorrow (they're closed today) but was wondering if any of you had any ideas.

• grayracer513

Posted May 01, 2006 - 12:11 PM

Looking at the parts book, I don't see the boss spring in there, but it isn't shown on any other 450 either. That one part might fix it, but wait to see what other '06 owners say.

• Ga426owner

Posted May 01, 2006 - 12:45 PM

Try a different oils - I notice it when the bike is cold....I may drill out some more holes in the hub or basket like I did in my 03.... :crazy:

• barch88

Posted May 01, 2006 - 12:50 PM

Nope, I didn't notice it. I did notice that it is a long clutch pull though (not sure what you call it). When you first take off you got to be a lot more gas and not let go of that clutch till its almost out there. Im unsure how to adjust it, so I keep it how it is.

When Im riding it seems fine though, normal. What I was reading in the General forum is people not using there clutch when upshifting, or sometimes downshifting, just easing off the gas, now I always used my clutch because the last thing I want to do is go rebuild my transmission, what are your thoughts on that?

-Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted May 01, 2006 - 01:15 PM

Nope, I didn't notice it. I did notice that it is a long clutch pull though (not sure what you call it). When you first take off you got to be a lot more gas and not let go of that clutch till its almost out there. Im unsure how to adjust it, so I keep it how it is.

When Im riding it seems fine though, normal. What I was reading in the General forum is people not using there clutch when upshifting, or sometimes downshifting, just easing off the gas, now I always used my clutch because the last thing I want to do is go rebuild my transmission, what are your thoughts on that?

-Mike

Clutch use is clutch abuse! That is my thought. I rarely use the clutch at all. For starts and some cornering and whoops that is all mainly. Been doing this for years and no tranny problems yet....upshift downshift, on the ground in air....no issues. But I do it carefully and methodically :crazy:

• cowboyona426

Posted May 01, 2006 - 04:56 PM

Try a different oils - I notice it when the bike is cold....I may drill out some more holes in the hub or basket like I did in my 03.... :crazy:

It did it on whatever Yamaha puts in there, and it's doing it with my current Mobil1 gold cap... I tried adjusting the freeplay and that didn't help, I'm nervous to ride it much more before doing something major for fear of smoking the clutch. My first oil change came out cleaner than expected, so I was shocked when the dragginess persisted. I'll keep you all updated if my dealer has any news for me.

• cowboyona426

Posted May 03, 2006 - 02:01 PM

My dealer was no help, the mechanic basically told me that all 450's do this and I'll just have to live with it :crazy: I may try an 02 426 inner plate/flat plate/boss spring and see if that clears it up. I may even try a different oil... I have no idea where to go from here other than open it up to see if anything is amok in there.... any suggestions?

• kxman

Posted May 03, 2006 - 03:53 PM

Well, they don't all do it. Mine is perfect so far.

• moochie

Posted May 04, 2006 - 04:34 AM

My 450 is smooth, no sounds or grabiness.

My 05 RM250 however did have the same issue you've got with your 450, but then the RM250 was known for not having a strong clutch.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.