dual purpose tires?

7 replies to this topic
  • YUKI

Posted May 01, 2006 - 08:45 AM

I ride my new XR650L everyday to work. I also, ride it off-road twice a month. What would be the most aggressive tires I can ride on both (street legal)? The ride is on rocks, sand and combination.

ThanX

• cleonard

Posted May 01, 2006 - 09:15 AM

There is no magic bullet here. Any tire that is good on the pavement will suck in the dirt. Any tire that is good in the dirt, will wear very fast on the pavement. Additionally, a good knobby dirt tire will not have good traction on the road, especially in the rain. One of my friends bought a 650L a long time ago. He also wanted the DOT tires for road use. He gave us all a lot of laughs off road as we watched him slip, slide, and fall over and over again! The 650L is a big tall heave beast. You need all the traction you can get when off road.

The most aggressive DOT tire that I have seen is the Kenda Trackmaster 2. It's a soft terrain type tread. I wouldn't recommend it on a 650. The engine would shred it in no time. Dunlop D606's are decent. Longer lasting.

The best plan would be to get two sets of wheels. Real street tires on one, and real dirt (non-DOT) tires on the other. They show up from time to time on ebay. If you can only afford one, get a rear. Put a DOT knobby on the front, like a D606 or a Pirelli.

• Motosprtman

Posted May 01, 2006 - 10:25 AM

I like the Dunlop 606's on mine, they are great off road! I don't go far on the street maybe 10-20 miles on occassion, therfore they are perfect for me.

• HawkGT

Posted May 01, 2006 - 11:16 AM

I ride in the desert mostly (650R). My last set were D606. Right now I'm on my first set of Pirelli MT21s. So far my impressions are that the D606 have stiffer sidewalls, the MT21 front sticks in my terrain better than the D606 AND seems to be wearing better. Hard to say about the rear--they both seem to hook-up but the D606 was maybe a little tougher (fewer nicks/tears/missing chunks).

I think I got about 1500+ miles (about 50/50 riding) out of the D606. I'm at 500 miles right now on the MT21s (I'm keeping good records this time) of 50/50 riding. They still look pretty good--especially the front. I'm not sure if the rear will make it to 1500 miles but it's looking like the front will.

Fronts and rears seem to wear about equal for me on the pavement. In the dirt the fronts last longer than rears.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HappyCurmudgeon

Posted May 01, 2006 - 11:16 AM

Another vote for Dunlop 606's here, but it was a toss-up between those & the Pirelli MT21's. I hear good reports on both. :crazy:

I got a decent deal on the Dunlops, had it been on the Pirelli's, I would have those instead.

• redmanrandyed

Posted May 01, 2006 - 11:17 AM

I was just looking at the Michelin AC 10's at the dealership. The tread is pretty aggessive for a DOT tire :crazy: . Does anyone have any opinions on this tire?

• rkuckkahn

Posted May 01, 2006 - 12:33 PM

My vote Pirelli MT 21's. I use 130's without mods to the chain protectors. My opinion is that they are pleanty aggressive, stable on the road and mine have worn really well. I'll buy them again to replace. Front will last through two rears.

• wheelnut46

Posted May 01, 2006 - 05:49 PM

I just got a Pirelli MT18HD front about 300 miles ago and a Kenda 270 rear about 700 miles ago. I mostly commute on the bike. No real signs of wear yet on either. I havent tried the front in the rain yet but on dry road it's fine. Temps up here in RI range from the 40's to the mid 60's right now. The front feels better in the warmer temps but is still ok in the cold. The MT-18HD hooks up really well in the dirt and in the woods. Not so great in soft sand.
Hope this helps.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.