some questions on a 1996 YZ250

8 replies to this topic
  • MIyzrider

Posted May 01, 2006 - 08:18 AM

I'm basically new to riding, this is the start of my second season. I purchased a 1996 yz250 last memorial weekend.
It supposedly had a upper end rebuild (including new cylinder) , I've since changed the clutch, and replaced tires ( Dunlop 756 front, Maxxis IT desert rear) , it has stock gearing (13/49) , Boysen rad valve and a Fatty pipe on it.
I rode it all last season with no problems and like the bike but now as usual with some things it just isn't fast enough. I ride mostly trails ( Lewiston /Gaylord area) , that are pretty sandy and fast (snowmobile trails) .

Are there any recommendations for this bike either to make it faster or just a better set up for the way I ride.
This is basically a 3rd sport for me ( boat and snowmobile) so dumping a ton of money into it isn't going to happen, Now if I sell my boat I'll most likely pick up a YZ450F but til then I'm stuck with the 250.

• dirtrida010

Posted May 02, 2006 - 04:38 AM

you might wanna check ur compression and change ur gearing more towards accleration if ur riding woods alot. correct me if im wrong

• MIyzrider

Posted May 02, 2006 - 05:29 AM

I guess I need to know what the difference between "woods" and "trail" riding is first.

We usually run snowmobile trails which have a lot of straights and sweeping corners. I'm usually in 3-5 and WFO most of the time.

Tonight I'm going to check the compression. I'm about 230lbs so I'm sure that's pretty heavy for a 250.

I've already started looking into porting, possibly big bore. But if it starts to cost too much I'll just leave it , ride it and eventually buy a thumper.

• yz440e

Posted May 02, 2006 - 08:49 PM

He means compression of the engine, is that what your talking about or are you talking about suspension compression, the weight comment threw me off.

As for power...you basicly covered it all in your 1st post. Porting makes a big differnce probally the best bang for buck but you will get better power from a big bore kit, kinda pricey though.

• SCIENCE

Posted May 03, 2006 - 06:07 AM

I'm basically new to riding, this is the start of my second season. I purchased a 1996 yz250 last memorial weekend.
It supposedly had a upper end rebuild (including new cylinder) , I've since changed the clutch, and replaced tires ( Dunlop 756 front, Maxxis IT desert rear) , it has stock gearing (13/49) , Boysen rad valve and a Fatty pipe on it.
I rode it all last season with no problems and like the bike but now as usual with some things it just isn't fast enough. I ride mostly trails ( Lewiston /Gaylord area) , that are pretty sandy and fast (snowmobile trails) .

Are there any recommendations for this bike either to make it faster or just a better set up for the way I ride.
This is basically a 3rd sport for me ( boat and snowmobile) so dumping a ton of money into it isn't going to happen, Now if I sell my boat I'll most likely pick up a YZ450F but til then I'm stuck with the 250.

If you want to really get the most out of the '96, install a long rod kit and have PC port the cylinder. I think GYT-R sold the long rod kit. Not sure if it is still available, but I bet Eric Gorr (or the like) could set you up. A buddy of mine had this setup and it rocked! I know you said you didn't want to dump a ton of $ ,but for this bike, there is no better mod!

• MIyzrider

Posted May 03, 2006 - 07:53 AM

I just checked engine compression, it was 120lbs the manual states that is in specs , does this sound right ?

So a long rod kit and some porting sounds like what's going to have to happen.

Thanks

• wrenduro450

Posted May 03, 2006 - 12:04 PM

I just checked engine compression, it was 120lbs the manual states that is in specs , does this sound right ?

Thanks

120 pound for a 96 isn't enough. Should be around 170 180 lbs. Did you check it with the throttle open. I had a 96 did the long rod kit and wr gears for 3 and 5th and put a 47 on. Good luck on your find.

• CaptDan

Posted May 03, 2006 - 03:52 PM

Thanks

YZ Long Rod kits are hard to find. Matt Crown (http://www.mcrsuspension.com) may put one together for you. He knows how to make YZ's run. The '96 YZ 250 is a great bike, IMHO.http://i2.photobucke...gett/yz2501.jpg

• MIyzrider

Posted May 04, 2006 - 09:25 AM

I found a place that kind of specializes in older YZ's , here's what I decided to do.

Top end kit
shim cylinder
Head mod
flywheel weight kit , If I can find one for this year
Noleen pipe , If I can find one.

I looked into the long rod thing and really can't justify the cost at the moment, I had to draw the line somewhere.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ250 2013 by MXRider72

Yamaha YZ250 2013
  • 4 reviews
  • Last review by phantom451
  • On August 10, 2014
Forums
Photo

06 yz125 won't start by 06yz125rider

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 18 replies
Forums
Photo

2001 YZ250 resto project by yamerhaaa304

• Hot  24 replies
Forums
Photo

2014 yz250 Gearbox Problems by Hoffy77

• 9 replies
Forums
Photo

1998 yz125? by Cort003

• 8 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.