A Field Guide to Mountain Bikers

68 replies to this topic
  • black_n_blue_thumper

Posted May 02, 2006 - 12:30 PM

You guys are the reason we are all going to lose.

Actually I am not. I stand for use by EVERY RESPONCIBLE USER. I dont care if its Horseback, MTB, Moto, ATV or Foot traffic. I think we all have the right to use our lands. I dont look down my nose at anyone, not even the horsemen leaving massive piles of road apples in the trails and shoe'd hooves deterioriating the trails. Hell, I even like to see MTB'ers. I respect their ambition and love of the outdoors. I just dont need some homo in bright yellow spandex and a massive set of camel toes telling me I shouldnt be where I am. :ride: Its the bitching of dipshits like that which will get it closed down for all of us. When was the last time you heard of a moto club wanting to get MTB'ers excluded from a riding area. :ride: If everyone would just shut their whining little pie holes and enjoy what we have we would all be better off. :lol: Mouintain bike on my friend, you wont bother me. (as long as you dont tell me I should'nt be where I am legaly entitled to be) :crazy:

• mjslim

Posted May 02, 2006 - 12:42 PM

Passed one of them on the outskirts of Ridgecrest last Friday and got "the look" of indignation. Never mind that the single track we were on was created by motorized 2 wheelers long before MTBs came into existence.
And, by the way, just to be a stickler for correctness, I believe the "or" in Scissorbill is actually pronounced "eeeeh", so the word phonetically sounds like "Sissy-Bill". Of French origin I believe...............

• dpike

Posted May 02, 2006 - 01:01 PM

I don't know of anyone who rides a dirt bike that throws a hissy fit when they see a pedaler, horseback rider, or couch driver on "their" trail. I go out of my way to treat other trail users with courtesy and respect, regardless of their chosen mode of transportation.

Soooo....then clarify for me what that first post was about? I guess it's that web thing where sarcasm just doesn't come across, huh?

If I'm insinuating, then it's the importance of realizing that between a dirt bike and a mountain bike: "There, but for a lack of 40 HP, go I." Stink-eye is stink-eye, which is what you all to often get on two knobby tires. Oh, and maybe the concept that you "get more bears with honey than you do with roost."

Anyhow, I'm with you on the psuedo-enviro thing. My favorite irony of the moment is the NIMBY mountain land owner that will plow god knows how much of a driveway, builds, enjoys my tax dollars keeping his commute open year round, etc, drives 40 mins up and down the canyon everyday, and then closes off access to National Forest on the other side of his property.

And if it makes you guys feel any better, I haven't ridden my homo bike since I got my new WR, 'cause it's too much fun. :crazy: Although I just can't seem to quit wearing that optic yellow skinsuit...<that was sarcasm>

DP

• RhedF350

Posted May 02, 2006 - 01:44 PM

Black and Blue, you are right on target. They (Prunies, Scissorbills, Etc) move away from the problem areas, and then decide that they want their new home to be just like where they came from. Public lands are just that; for all forms of users.

• dbailey223

Posted May 02, 2006 - 03:11 PM

The real problem is the people who want to make the trails, etc. illegal for dirtbikes or other means of transportion. I only have a problem with mountain bikers or anybody else who want to cut off my ability to ride on public land.

• Seabass

Posted May 02, 2006 - 04:32 PM

Where do I fit in? I regularly ride mountain bikes with a group that all ride dirt bikes and most of us race in the desert on a regular basis. None of us wear spandex, nor shave our legs, we're all straight, and all give $$ to Blue Ribbon, CORVA, etc. It burns my huevos everytime I meet up with another MTB'r on the trail that's a greenie. Little do they know nor care too admit that many of the causes and politicians they support would gladly close the trails to EVERYONE!!, not just dirt bikers.

Worse than the MTBr's where I ride at are the hikers and horse riders. The hikers all seem like real hardcore enviros and I've gotten plenty of middle fingers when I go by. The horse riders all seem like rich housewives that think they own the trail they're riding on.

• specialk6r

Posted May 02, 2006 - 05:56 PM

First of all, I believe if you look up ******* in the dictionary it will read "noun; someone who roosts people they don't know." That said, why not ride respectively of all others and let them do what they want. Your really gonna throw rocks and dirt at someone for failing to smile and waive at you?

Clarks post was joking and funny, and I hope everyone else who seconded the roosting was kidding as well and just failed to add humor. Just something to consider, but bikers and hikers don't wear full-face helmets or deflectors, and a little piece of gravel could easily take out a tooth.

I'd hope no one on here's really offended, so joke away, just don't ride like douche when it's harmful to others.

• specialk6r

Posted May 02, 2006 - 06:16 PM

Sorry for forgeting to censor myself.

I forgot to add, bicyclists come in all different breeds, most are pansies (still not as bad as all the couch surfers my age, 20, who do nothing but play video games) but some are true hardcores who just haven't gotten lazy enough to need an engine yet.

Anyhow, a couple years ago we had a big mountainbike freeriding competition up here in Marquette, MI, and some of those guys have more cajones than most of the fellas on here (no offense, not everyones insane.) I was a mountainbiker at the time so I tried one of the bigger stunts there. Since I wasn't ever a pro it didn't end well, but I got a descent photo out of the deal:

sissy biker picture

let me know if the link doesn't work, it's my first time.

• dpike

Posted May 02, 2006 - 06:19 PM

I'd hope no one on here's really offended, so joke away, just don't ride like douche when it's harmful to others.

Eeeee-xactly!

• Numskull

Posted May 02, 2006 - 06:22 PM

They dont really shave there legs do they? ---->:crazy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clark4131

Posted May 02, 2006 - 07:53 PM

I agree with Special K that the "North Shore" freeride bikers are hardcore, there's no denying that. However, my post was equal parts satire and dead-pan serious. As I stated, I treat everyone on the trail with respect until they no longer deserve it. 95% of the undeserving are lycra-encased pedal dweebs out communing with nature.

My latest run-in involved one such creature sitting on the side of a singletrack taking a moment to reflect on how wonderful life would be if he were a wood tick or other such nonsense. When I saw him I immediately slowed down and putted up to him, where I politely asked where the next fire road crossing might be so I could head back home. He immediately sneered at me and complained that "my 'bicycle' looked awfully heavy" and that "my legs made a horrible amount of noise when I pedaled" and that "all the stuff I was wearing must surely be hot and uncomfortable." He went on to say that I was clearly not supposed to be on the singletrack because it was obviously meant for bicycles only and that I was obviously unconcerned with my bike's impact on the environment. I received all this wonderful warmth and consideration simply because I breath in and out while having the audacity to ride a motorcycle.

So I ask you all, was I supposed to let this simply wash over me, ask Buddha for strength and go donate to Greenpeace when I get home as an act of contrition for my blasphemous choice in recreational sports? Also take into consideration this is the norm rather than the exception when it comes to these types of encounters. Don't believe me, just ask RhedF350. I for one, have had enough. I've decided to let the crime fit the punishment. So yes, I retaliated. I let him finish his tirade and then I calmly went on my way...about two feet to a nice gooey mud puddle where I pointed my Maxxis IT at him and tested my Rekluse with a brake stand. Suffice it to say, he was a bit unhappy with the results, but I rode off with a smile on my face and Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder.

Was it unfriendly? You bet! Was it deserved? You bet! Will I do it again? Absolutely! I am not Gandhi, I am not JC and I am not the Dalai Lama. I'm tired of turning the other cheek and empowering self-centered, elitist pricks who think the doctrine of political correctness will protect them. When you're out on my mountain, you better be polite just like me. If not, I just might put a good, old fashioned ass-kicking into you. Don't like it? Tough, I was here first! Welcome to Nevada :crazy: ...SC

• specialk6r

Posted May 02, 2006 - 10:35 PM

Just for a comparison, on sportbikes cars will occasionally take a threatening swerve at you, saying "Quit riding like an idiot!" reasoning that your disrespectful use of the road justified there action.

Well does my rude pass on the double-yellow justify them possible killing me?
Not any more than an ignorant neo-hippie tossing a few judgemental words justifies your covering them with mud and rocks.

But in words repeated by cop-outs the world over, "What can you do?"

Idiots will be idiots and douches will be douches. I'll leave it up to the reasonable folks out there to decide, between the mud-slinger or the spandex clad preacher, which one is the douche and which one is the idiot. Maybe there's a little douche and a little idiot in both.

Have fun out there.

• paulzarr

Posted May 03, 2006 - 12:32 AM

My mountain bike is a WR450FV, and I want to ride with Clark! :crazy:

• MotoGoalie

Posted May 03, 2006 - 05:43 AM

Clark is the Roy D Mercer of Nevada. :crazy:

• scot_douglas

Posted May 03, 2006 - 06:18 AM

We ride MTB and Dirtbikes and I have met many, many great people doing both. That being said, I have come across more jerks on bicycles than motorcycles, but it has usually been "roadies" that fling the elitist crap.

Just like anything else, people tend to remember the bad people/experiences with a user group more than the good. :ride: I make it a point to help out any way I can, especially when I'm towing motorcycles. To date, I've probably given out $100 in fuel to stranded motorists from the can on my motorcycle trailer. :crazy:

For me, it's all about representing our sports (both motorcycling and MTB) in a good light. In Moab I got crap from a MTBer for riding slickrock and had to enlighten him that he was actually riding on a motorcycle trail the cycling communty "took over". On my MTB, I also have to remind digruntled hikers that they are on a multi-use trail.

Guess what I'm trying to say, is that I understand the angst, but there are ways to best represent ourselves to "outsiders".

• MotoGoalie

Posted May 03, 2006 - 07:05 AM

You know, if people realized that opening thier yap and "opining" about the exclusivity of a multi - use trail for thier particular hobby would result in getting a beatdown, I'd bet everyone would be a little more civil and courteous to STRANGERS on the trail. Sort of like the Old West cowboy days.
What douchebag would run a bunch of insults out to someone they have never met before? That's just stupid. It's like the internet. :crazy:

Yes, I realize that's a paradoxical statement. :ride:

• Old_Yeller

Posted May 03, 2006 - 07:31 AM

Just like in dirtbikes there is different types of riding types in mountain biking. There is the gay, spandex riding, uber light hardtail freaks, and there is Freeriding.

Freeride guys dress like us in full armor and ride 50lb. bikes with 9 inches of travel. They all cram into the back of a 4x4 pickups partaking of herbal essence on the way up to the top and then bomb insane drops with heavy technical stuff.

Here in Hood River, Oregon, the freeride guys have spent years developing a place with huge jumps, teater-totters, bridges and just plain stupid scary stuff. I'm talking 15ft drops right into tight tree sections. These guys are truly insane. Many of them also ride dirtbikes, sailboard, snowboard, kiteboard, snowkite, surf and generally go big or go home.

Please do not confuse gay Cal pansies with real mountian bikers... :ride:

Great read by the way! ROLF :crazy: I loved the Roost part!

• scot_douglas

Posted May 03, 2006 - 07:51 AM

So I ask you all, was I supposed to let this simply wash over me, ask Buddha for strength and go donate to Greenpeace when I get home as an act of contrition for my blasphemous choice in recreational sports? Also take into consideration this is the norm rather than the exception when it comes to these types of encounters. Don't believe me, just ask RhedF350. I for one, have had enough. I've decided to let the crime fit the punishment. So yes, I retaliated. I let him finish his tirade and then I calmly went on my way...about two feet to a nice gooey mud puddle where I pointed my Maxxis IT at him and tested my Rekluse with a brake stand. Suffice it to say, he was a bit unhappy with the results, but I rode off with a smile on my face and Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder.

Was it unfriendly? You bet! Was it deserved? You bet! Will I do it again? Absolutely! I am not Gandhi, I am not JC and I am not the Dalai Lama. I'm tired of turning the other cheek and empowering self-centered, elitist pricks who think the doctrine of political correctness will protect them. When you're out on my mountain, you better be polite just like me. If not, I just might put a good, old fashioned ass-kicking into you. Don't like it? Tough, I was here first! Welcome to Nevada :cheers: ...SC

:crazy: :ride: :ride: :lol: :cheers: :cheers:

• clark4131

Posted May 03, 2006 - 08:53 AM

Clark is the Roy D Mercer of Nevada. :crazy:

I like the comparison, though I do strive to be a bit more erudite than Mr. Mercer...benefits of my classical education notwithstanding :ride: ...SC

• MotoGoalie

Posted May 03, 2006 - 10:00 AM

I like the comparison, though I do strive to be a bit more erudite than Mr. Mercer...benefits of my classical education notwithstanding :ride: ...SC

Well, By Gawd! :crazy:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.