Newbie with a trottle stop "Q"

9 replies to this topic
  • Deus ex Machina

Posted May 01, 2006 - 05:57 AM

Howdy, new here. I just picked up a 2006 WR450 last week. The dealer said they removed the throttle stop screw when they prepped it. My question is can you actually remove the screw or did they mod it? I picked up the AIS kit when I picked up the bike and plan on doing that as well as the other usual mods too.

Great Forum, I can't believe how much I have already learned.

TIA ... Lee

• Matty05

Posted May 01, 2006 - 06:03 AM

Read this for info on throttlestop and mod: http://www.thumperfaq.com/throttle.htm

You should have a throttle stop, if they have removed it all together, demand a YZ throttle stop. If you don't have one, it is possible for the throttle slide to lock fully open - not good.

Keep searching and reading - there is tons and tons of info here! :crazy:

• RhedF350

Posted May 01, 2006 - 06:04 AM

You can remove it, but it's better to replace it with a YZ screw or cut down the one that came stock. Take a look behind the smog valve body, and the screw is located on the bottom left of the throttle cable pivot on the carb. The screw head faces the ground and is black. You may have to take off the dust cover from the side of the carb to see it.

• clark4131

Posted May 01, 2006 - 07:13 AM

You can remove it, but it's better to replace it with a YZ screw or cut down the one that came stock.

Not so Thomas! Replacing it is an absolute necessity rather than an option. If it is removed entirely, the slide can travel too far up, allowing the needle to completely exit the needle jet and bottom out on the carb throat, effectively blocking the slide open. Result...hang on to your cajones, it's gonna be a wild ride :ride:. BTW, I rode Peavine yesterday and got into it with another mountain biker. Those spandex-coated homos are really getting on my nerves :crazy: ...SC

• MountainMax

Posted May 01, 2006 - 07:27 AM

if you have the yamaha AIS removal kit there is a YZ throttle stop in there

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted May 01, 2006 - 03:53 PM

BTW, I rode Peavine yesterday and got into it with another mountain biker. Those spandex-coated homos are really getting on my nerves :ride: ...SC

:ride: You have all the fun! Let me guess....... 450 roost this time? :crazy:

• Deus ex Machina

Posted May 01, 2006 - 03:58 PM

if you have the yamaha AIS removal kit there is a YZ throttle stop in there

:crazy: :ride:

• dl19

Posted May 01, 2006 - 09:27 PM

I doubt your dealer actually removed the throttle stop. They probably just replaced it with YZ. It is a black allen headed bolt at the rear of your carb, and is plainly visible without removing anything. If you want to check it, just get a long allen wrench, or a allen head on a 1/4 drive socket to remove it. You don't need to remove the carb. There is a noticeable difference in length. You could also jus twist the throttle open, and if you get a good rotation it has been changed. It is way too obvious the throttle is stopping short. I just loved the guy with the Scissorbill story you have to read that one. We don't have any around our area, but they are starting to migrate I have been told.

• RJB

Posted June 06, 2007 - 02:04 AM

I doubt your dealer actually removed the throttle stop. They probably just replaced it with YZ. It is a black allen headed bolt at the rear of your carb, and is plainly visible without removing anything. If you want to check it, just get a long allen wrench, or a allen head on a 1/4 drive socket to remove it. You don't need to remove the carb. There is a noticeable difference in length. You could also jus twist the throttle open, and if you get a good rotation it has been changed. It is way too obvious the throttle is stopping short. I just loved the guy with the Scissorbill story you have to read that one. We don't have any around our area, but they are starting to migrate I have been told.

Just got my bike back from the dealer (had wired up the on road kit all wrong and I couldn't be arsed to fix it myself). Mechanic very proudly told me that he had removed the screw!! Idiot He then asked if I wanted him to cut it down - er NO!! Think I'll do that myself to the proper spec!

• TRUE_2_YAMAHA_001

Posted March 05, 2008 - 11:20 PM

Just got my bike back from the dealer (had wired up the on road kit all wrong and I couldn't be arsed to fix it myself). Mechanic very proudly told me that he had removed the screw!! Idiot He then asked if I wanted him to cut it down - er NO!! Think I'll do that myself to the proper spec!

that is y i never take my bike to mechanics, they only read half of the directions. between me and my dad, we do everything except suspension re valving and we have the tires mounted because it is a pain.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.