oil consumption

21 replies to this topic
  • YUKI

Posted April 30, 2006 - 07:49 PM

My new 650L has 200miles on it. Yet, it consumes oil (half a quart). Is it typical for a new bike? How is it after break-in? Should I check oil level after running idle for few minutes?

ThanX

• Bodhisattva

Posted April 30, 2006 - 07:57 PM

I just put 110 on mine today, i will have to check mine, thanks for the heads up.

• YUKI

Posted April 30, 2006 - 08:06 PM

How do u like the bike? Did u take the smog features off?

• Bodhisattva

Posted April 30, 2006 - 09:28 PM

No i think im going to leave it stock for now.
I love the bike, never had electric start before...what a dream it is!
it sure feels heavy compared to all the mx bikes ive owned though lol.
I can still man handle it fine though lol.
i can see where this bike could be a handful for smaller riders though.

• XR_mad

Posted May 01, 2006 - 01:39 AM

leaving it stock should be a crime, you really have no idea what your missing out on, also the smog kit, do you like to sniff your smelly socks after a long ride? i dont think the bike likes having exhust gases being fed back through it rejet it and derestrict the exhust and airbox and let it breathe properly

• creeky

Posted May 01, 2006 - 04:29 AM

My new 650L has 200miles on it. Yet, it consumes oil (half a quart). Is it typical for a new bike? How is it after break-in? Should I check oil level after running idle for few minutes?

ThanX

Is there any exhaust smoke? Is there a leak? Is the oil reservoir overfilled? A new engine should not be using this much oil, if it continues, I would be taking it back to the dealer to see what the problem is.

• ghoti

Posted May 01, 2006 - 04:42 AM

ThanX

The oil needs to be checked with it very hot. If you added a half a quart you're probably overfilled. Search this forum for the correct procedure. It's be covered many times.

• 2000 xr650r

Posted May 01, 2006 - 07:19 AM

I bet you checked it wrong. in regrads to this, i have a 00 650r with not a ton of use. Over the 600 miles that i have had it, it has burned 1/4 to 1/2 of the dipstick in oil. (not very much oil) Is this normal? All engines burn some oil right?

• YUKI

Posted May 01, 2006 - 07:37 AM

I ran it on idle for about 5 minutes and turn the ignition off. Positioned it vertically for a minute and checked the level. It was half way on the stick. That's after I have filled it last week. I did not check the level when I got it from the dealer. However, it still consumes oil regardless. What is typical on this bike (it has 200 miles on it).

ThanX

• XR650L_Dave

Posted May 01, 2006 - 07:58 AM

I ran it on idle for about 5 minutes and turn the ignition off. Positioned it vertically for a minute and checked the level. It was half way on the stick. That's after I have filled it last week. I did not check the level when I got it from the dealer. However, it still consumes oil regardless. What is typical on this bike (it has 200 miles on it).
ThanX

You need to check the level the moment you shut it off- letting it sit for a minute can let some drain back down the the lower sump.

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motosprtman

Posted May 01, 2006 - 10:37 AM

A new properly broke in engine will not use any oil at all - or should not. It's normal ofr the dipstick to indicate between half and full when hot, if your worried, drain it (200 miles is a good time anway) and refill to preoper quanity, get some experience with your bike that way and know what the proper indication looks like on thge stock after you have refilled it. There is nothing like doing your own maintenance - as compared to taking it to Honda where Johny 17 year old working after school changes your oil and the certified Honda mechanic walks by gives it his nod and your back on the road after some $$$ exchange. Look at your spark plug too, if it is indeed burning oil to that extent teh spark plug would be oily and black and the exhaust would be emitting blue to white smoke and you defintely smell it. Get used to your new bike and enjoy it! you may eventually want to uncork - as their is within a differnt bike than your riding now. It is capabel of pulling harder - strating easier and loosing that cold-bloodedness it has - wheil running cooler too, meaning a longer engine life. Typically the mods are the smog stuff removed, carb rejetted, freeer flowing air filter and an after market exhaust.

• rkuckkahn

Posted May 01, 2006 - 10:50 AM

You shouldn't be consuming that much oil, or should I say mine never consumed that much. Something is wrong either with the bike or the way you are checking it.

• YUKI

Posted May 01, 2006 - 01:03 PM

ThanX. Called the dealer (Santa Monica Honda, CA). Talked to the cheif mechanics. After describing the phenomenan, he told me there must be something wrong internally. There is no reason for a new bike to consume so much oil (about 1 quort in 10 days). Blue smoke emerges when I start the bike in the morning only. Sucks. Only 200miles on it and back to the ER for evaluation.

• wheelnut46

Posted May 01, 2006 - 05:56 PM

<<< Very interested in hearing what happens next...

• Bodhisattva

Posted May 01, 2006 - 06:12 PM

Yeah me to.

hope it turns out ok,

• Dual_Dog

Posted May 01, 2006 - 08:08 PM

I think I'd be a little concerned, but where can 1 qt of oil go in 200 miles? I'm with rkuckkahn, I think there's a problem with the way it's being checked.

It wouldn't hurt to start over, meaning drain the old oil, replace the filter & put 2.1 - 2.2 qts of fresh stuff in there & then start the supposed oil consumption process all over again. But on the other side of the coin it is brand new & under warranty so maybe it's worth taking it (back) to the dealer. :ride:

I know I had my share of problems with a brand new '82 XL500R (do the math & that'll tell ya I'm old :cheers: ). The damn engine siezed at 1.2K miles. I went back to the selling dealer & to my dismay it took over a month to resolve that whole fiasco with a couple of failed attempts to fix it thrown in just for aggrovation. They even tried to blame the failure on me. Unbelievable. :crazy:

I ended up getting a brand new bike because the numb skulls couldn't fix it. Needless to say I never went back to that dealer again... :cheers: Point is you wouldn't be the first one with major problems right after purchase.

Hopefully it's nothing serious. :lol: :ride:

• Motosprtman

Posted May 02, 2006 - 05:06 AM

Good Luck with Honda - although they should fix it for you. Beware that they may try to blame it on you and improper break in, that is, if they start questioning you about how you rode it, and you say on the freeway 70MPH or so - they will rapidly point out that in your owners manual - you did not follow proper break in - and thus the repairs will be at your cost.

• ghoti

Posted May 02, 2006 - 05:07 AM

There would be a puddle or constant blue smoke to burn half a quart in 200 miles. My bike has to be screaming hot to show full on the dipstick.

• XR_mad

Posted May 02, 2006 - 05:12 AM

could have been a break in by the manual that did it http://www.mototuneu..._in_secrets.htm

• YUKI

Posted May 02, 2006 - 07:45 PM

ThanX for all the good advise. Before I re-install the smog devices back on and run to the "friendly dealer", I would change the oil with accurate amount (2.2). I would than start monitoring the level again.

ThanX again, Yuki

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.