1985 XL 600 tips

8 replies to this topic
  • 76tt500

Posted April 30, 2006 - 03:13 PM

I was just wondering if anybody had some tips on turning a Stock XL 600 into a bad @ss machine.. Please reply and let me know I just picked it up recently, and was hoping for some helpful hints.
Thanks

• targetdrone

Posted April 30, 2006 - 03:23 PM

Step 1. Sell XL600

Step 2. Buy bad @ss machine.

I still own an 86 XL600. I rode it for the first time in quite a while last weekend before the Vikings race in Lucerne. Other than the super soft comfortable seat, it is an outdated, undersprung, slow revving, under-torqued, bad handling, low clearance, dirt-legal street-bike.

Don't throw money at that bike. Accept it for what it is. If you want something else....buy something else.

• xr500_89

Posted April 30, 2006 - 03:32 PM

i still own a xl500 that does 85 horsepower thats one bad ass machine

• Jon-D

Posted April 30, 2006 - 07:33 PM

85 Hp?? What mods did you do to get it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xr500_89

Posted April 30, 2006 - 08:30 PM

well my dad had this thing with white brothers (when it was his bike), they said we'll give you free test parts if you put them on and let us dyno it, when i was 15 he said he would give it to me i wanted a bike that was street legal so bad i said what the hell i want a bike so lol he gave it to me, but all i know is nothing in the motor is stock right down to the tranny

• apanther454

Posted October 17, 2008 - 07:10 PM

They really aren't that slow, Mine would run with a buddy's yz250 which was just rebuilt and had a few mods done to it. the thing is, my xl600 had burnt valves and carbs that needed overhauled and tuned. check out xrsonly.com for the high perf. parts that are available. aside from that there is not a lot of high performance parts available. I was looking for parts for mine and called a junk yard and the guy tried to buy it. when i asked why. he said he wanted it for a race engine. if it's good enough for that, it's good enough for me. just remember they develop their torque at low rpms, i like that because it gives me a good sense of control while climbing hills.

• martinfan30

Posted October 17, 2008 - 07:34 PM

i still own a xl500 that does 85 horsepower thats one bad ass machine

I GUESS that's possible, but highly unlikely.

Do you have a dyno sheet, or pics of your turbo/NOS/super charger/propane injection setup?

:D

• HeadTrauma

Posted October 17, 2008 - 08:26 PM

I was just wondering if anybody had some tips on turning a Stock XL 600 into a bad @ss machine.. Please reply and let me know I just picked it up recently, and was hoping for some helpful hints.
Thanks

Get an aftermarket cam, have the head ported, and perhaps go with a 101mm or 102mm over bore. The overbore will net between 600(101m bore) and 618cc(102mm) of displacement versus the stock 589cc. The XL600s actually had the highest factory power rating of the aircooled XL/XR line.

• zrxer

Posted October 18, 2008 - 05:10 AM

Everything HeadTrauma said PLUS free flowing exhaust, air filter and the biggie, JET THE CARBS! Even if you don't do anything else, richen up the jetting. Not only will you pick up some power but it will be easier to start as well. They are painfully lean from the factory. :D Bruce

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.