WR450 headlight temps

10 replies to this topic
  • Express

Posted April 30, 2006 - 02:46 PM

I have a 80/100 bulb coming for my 06. Has anyone run a brighter bulb? Any problems with the high temps of a brighter bulb? I didnt think this jump would be much of a problem but would hate to find out after I melted my housing :crazy: .

• MountainMax

Posted April 30, 2006 - 03:56 PM

I was going to get one for my bike also, what kind? size bulb did you get? I have found tha putting in larger bulbs not only the heat can melt the housing but it can burn up the wiring and light connector if it's not large enough to handle the current. Sometimes you get lucky though and need nothing.

• odonnks

Posted April 30, 2006 - 04:28 PM

I'm not sure what wattage bulb is installed from factory but wattage= power. Power = heat. Any increase in wattage will increase power.
Power = P
Current = I
Voltage = E
P=I x E

If you increase P(wattage) and E (battery voltage) stays the same, I (current must increase)
If the wiring will not handle the increase it'll melt the insulation and possibly even burn thru.

You cannot increase wattage without increasing current requirements.
Somewhare, there may be a brighter type bulb of the same wattage. (Quartz, Halogen etc).

• Express

Posted April 30, 2006 - 07:17 PM

My stator was modified for a Baja Designs kit, Im not worried as far as the needed power and or battery. I just dont want a melted bulb housing.

• Express

Posted April 30, 2006 - 07:21 PM

and from what I see the stock bulb is a 55W. The bulb currently operates at 55/60 with the Baja kit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MountainMax

Posted May 01, 2006 - 02:24 AM

does the baja-designs kit come with a different bulb? I ordered their Dual Sport kit last week and they said they are so busy with shipping it would be a week before the could send it out.

• Express

Posted May 01, 2006 - 07:20 PM

No the kit doesnt come with an extra bulb but you will get a new H4 connector with the Baja harness. The switch assembly will give you a high and low beam which will be a 55/60 output. The stock bulb isnt great for a street legal setup IMO, plus we do a fair amount of night offroad riding and the extra watts is really needed if your doing much more than cruising around the trails.

• MountainMax

Posted May 01, 2006 - 07:21 PM

so what kind of bulb is in them stock? and h3 single beam? if the connector for the H4 comes in the kit, will the H4 bulb fit the stock opening?

• Express

Posted May 01, 2006 - 07:39 PM

As far as fit Ill have to answer that on Wednesday, thats when the bulb gets in. I took the bulb to my local NAPA and matched the configuration. Ive done this before with ATV bulbs and so far I havent had a problem. Looking at the Dennis Kirk catalog they have listings for bulbs by bulb type also, I upgraded my Kawi ATV through their chart and the match was correct.

The connector in the Baja kit wasnt any different visibly from the stock, there was a different wiring setup for the Baja connector and I could only guess about the actual differences.

• MountainMax

Posted May 02, 2006 - 05:29 PM

Im thinking on putting one of those Blue tint bulbs in mine, to match the rest of the color scheme, They are higher wattage but don't seem to get so hot.

• crooks420

Posted May 02, 2006 - 08:39 PM

Your best bet is to wire up a relay and a larger wire from the battery to the relay.... safe way to NOT melt wiring or the switch.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.